simple, relatively inexpensive home demo unit

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by BigSB, Apr 20, 2015.

1. BigSB

BigSB Member

Under $1K, preferably way under.

Solo acoustic guitar, solo vocal. Also recording isolated bass tracks and isolated harmony-vocal tracks for distribution to the players on my session. Bass tracks will be small bass combo miked with SM57 or straight to the tracker with a DI.

Sennheiser e835 or SM58 for vocals, acoustic has Fishman Matrix.

Basically just need a simple, easy to use multi-tracker that can dump to mp3 or to CD.

I have friends with good recording setups, but I need access 24/7 and need the privacy at home for my peace of mind and sometimes random thought process.

Above all, needs to be dead simple for this caveman to operate on the fly. Foot-switchable punch-ins would be nice if possible.

Portability would be good so I can carry it with me to live gigs when my buddy's mobile recording gear isn't available.

2. Heritage 80

Heritage 80 Member

Discontinued, but you can pick one of these up for a couple of hundred on EBay:

[​IMG]

Korg D-1200 Mk II

3. 335guy

335guy Member

There's lots of ways you can go with this. If you're buying new, then the Tascam DP-03 seems like it would fill your requirements of portability, CD burning, inexpensive and ease of use.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DP03

4. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

5. RobJ

RobJ Gold Supporting Member

You could also look at just getting an interface and recording to computer. I would think a good two input interface would be even less than 200.00

Zoom makes a R-8, R16 and R24. I haven't used one in a long time, but it would record to a SD card, as well as, interface with a computer to allow recording straight into your DAW. You could also play back from the DAW to your speakers.

6. Creighton

Creighton Member

I can personally vouch for the Zoom R16. 6 XLR inputs, great sounding results, super easy to use. I found one like new on CL for $200.

7. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

You're typing on it.

8. BigSB

BigSB Member

No, I'm not. I'm typing on a Samsung Android tablet with issues.

PC is not an option. Our home computer is years old and has more bugs than a trip to the woods.

I'm looking for something I can turn on and throw tracks on quickly and simply, or get into a bit more processing/producing, but these tracks are ultimately not for resale-grade recordings. This unit will be for demos of guitar, bass and vocal tracks, so the players I bring in for the actual recordings will be more familiar going in.

9. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

Well never mind then.:D

10. Creighton

Creighton Member

For home recording I personally prefer tracking with the Zoom vs a Macbook Pro and Interface setup that cost 10 times as much, for a multitude of reasons. The zoom has six quality mic preamps so can easily mic drum kits properly, zero latency problems, better headphone monitoring, easier setup (plug in mics, set levels, hit record).

Once done tracking just drop the wav files into a DAW to mix. Couldn't be easier and the results are pretty damn good sonically, close to CD quality.

11. fwguitar

fwguitar Member

I know it's not the answer you want but I'm also in the process of making fast demos and to me the computer is the simplest way to do it.

Probably any new basic computer is powerful enough to use a USB interface and recording software. And you can get a Lite version of most software or Reaper.

And it's a lot easier to edit on a PC.

12. 335guy

335guy Member

BigSB, while the Zoom R stand alone recorders/interfaces are very nice, especially for the price and the features, they may not be the best way to go for you. Why? Because there is no CD burner. Transfer of files is done via usb or the SDHC card. This would require you to use a usb cable to transfer files to a computer, or you could use a usb memory stick/dongle. Or remove the SDHC card to be put into another device ( computer, tablet, etc. ) that accepts and can download the SDHC files. Mp3 is merely a file format to reduce file size. Many daws and stand alones use wav as the file format, but those are much larger file sizes. So, when burning down to a cd format, the files are often times reduced to mp3 files.

Since you're not planning on using a computer at all, a stand alone, like the Tascam DP-03, with a built in CD burner, maybe a better fit for your needs. A cd can be used to transfer files, or mastered and configured to play back on cd players. Use of a computer is not required. But files can also be transferred to computers/tablets via usb cable or usb memory stick/dongle or SDHC card. You simply have more file transfer options with the Tascam DP-03. Both the Zoom units and the Tascam have optional footswitches for punch in.

13. Belmont

Belmont Member

I bought a used Boss BR-532 Digital Studio off CL for $20.00, hard to beat that.

14. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

Tascam DP-03 has a CD burner. (But beware the DP-03SD model does not.)

15. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I have a Tascam DP-24 and it's super easy to use (got it for under $400 too). The DP-03 should be a more portable version of that, I would think.