Simple Set Up For Home Recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MOON, Feb 9, 2008.

1. MOON

MOON Member

I've been playing guitar on and off for the last 30 years. I'm 53 years old with basic computer knowledge. I want to be able to record to my computer but have no idea of how to do so. I would like to know the simplest and cheapest way of recording to my computer and getting a quality recording. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Computer - Mac/Macbook/iMac (software included = Garageband)

Interface - Apogee Duet

Done.

This will get you off to a more than basic start without even needing to get into micing an amp, etc.

3. MOON

MOON Member

I'm using a Windows based PC. I do not own a Mac. Any other help?

4. SGNick

SGNick Member

You could always try a Zoom H4. it comes with a scaled down version of Cubase, and the manual will help you set up using the H4 as an interface for recording directly to the computer.

Also a good field recorder.

Either that, you you can lookf for an M-audio interface. they're sometimes the stupid deal of the day on MF for 99$

5. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Sorry, I didn't catch that.
    I'm not much help with PCs but the mentioned H4 does get good reviews. A few of my friends have them and turn out some really nice sounding stuff.

Good luck.

6. SGNick

SGNick Member

I sure love mine! I posted a few clips on a thread just below this one... one of the ones about the H4 in 4 track mode.

7. jaycee

jaycee Member

Upgrade your soundcard first. There's some decent inexpensive stuff out there depending on what you have for a computer. Then pick up some sequencing software. Reaper is free and i've heard some good things about it. I use Sonar Home Studio. I paid about $169 for it and you get a lot for your money.

8. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I'm sorta in the same boat as Moon.
    A year ago I got a digtal 8track and yet have learned to use it!
    So been thinking maybe an ultra simple computer setup. I basically just want to do demo clips of pedals and amps.

9. jmcloud

jmcloud Member

Get yourself a nice, small, inexpensive interface like an M-Audio FastTrack Pro. I have one that I used to use for some smaller recording apps, and it works very well. I used it with Cubase and I was always extremely pleased with the results. You can get your hands on one of these for somewhere between $100-200 depending on what kind of deal you come across.

10. Birddog

Birddog Member

Yep. I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro. No special interface. I have a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter and plug either my guitar or a mic directly into the mic port on my computer. Excellent results. Really excellent. Vocals, bass, guitar. Simple software, limitless editing capabilities. Tons of effects you can add to the tracks. I think the program was around 70 bucks, but I think you'd like it.

11. Scooter

Scooter Supporting Member

Reaper is not free. It's free to try, and if you want to continue to use it the license fee is $40. Not free, but pretty close to it.

FWIW, I used to have Cakewalk Home Studio but when I started using Reaper I began to spend more time making music and less time futzing around with my computer.

Any computer-based recording setup is going to require a learning curve, but I think Reaper is pretty intuitive.

12. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Presonus Inspire. Comes with a ton of software, if you get the guitar center GT version it comes with Amplitube too.

13. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

I have paid the $50 for Reaper and purchased the full version of Ableton Live 7.0. My Ableton is gathering dust where as I am going from zero knowledge to enjoying recording with Reaper. HIGHLY recommend a newbie start on that Reaper thingy and spend time on the forums for a huge amount of good information.

Works with a PC too. I added a Line6 Toneport UX2 (UX1 would have been fine but I got a good deal on the UX2 since GC was out of the UX1) and have since bought some monitors (m-audio BX5a), m-audio Axiom 49 keyboard and some of the Toontrack Drum programs. I've enjoyed it, but I have since learned that my daughter has an incredible singing talent that wasn't exposed until I stuck a microphone in front of her and captured it with some of the ideas I have noodeled in Rreaper.

Reaper is THE way to go for someone jumping in without any knowledge or sunk investments.

14. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Reaper is still free, in a sense. Version .99 is still up, is free and is what I have used for the last couple of years. I pair my small Dell laptop with a Behringer Firewire audio interface ($79) , Reaper version .99 and a slew of free plugins and can do most anything I want to, so long as it's a max of stereo in/ stereo out, which sounds like exactly what you're after.

Virtually any modern usb or firewire interface is going to pass clear audio to your PC, be it stand alone or something like a small USB mixer (which will also solve your monitoring and mic preamp needs) for $150, or so.

Search my posts for a number of demo's I've posted over the last year... they're all done with the simple tools mentioned above.

good luck with it....