Simple - Small - Sound in a Box

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Loki, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Loki

Loki Member

Good afternoon,

i am currently forming my "to-go" rig. I already picked up a nice guitar, a Les Paul Junior which i plan to mod on my own.

But an electric guitar is nothing without an amplifier. The idea to follow on my back-up is "Keep It Simple Stupid". I don't want to spent thousands of dollars and neither should the gear be over-complicated.

The guitar is Vol-Tone - one PU. Great thing so i can explore the tone and volume knob by all means.

I am now looking for an amplifier serving me the same duties. If possible it should just be a one-channel amp with a delicious reactivity to picking and the volume knob.
    No over-the-top features are needed, there won't be any parallel loops needed, no fancy boost options and such things. Plain simple.

I don't care about it being a top or a combo. It should be within a price range of up to 1500 Dollars and don't have more than 20W.

Due to my lack of experience with P90 i haven't any sound "fantasies" on my tone so just keep the ideas of responsive little beasts coming :)

Greetings,

Loki

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Oh man, the Jackson ampworks Newcastle is your new amp! 18watts, vol and tone knob, killer tone, boutique and handwired....

3. Luke V

Luke V Member

A used Badger 18 will do the trick.

4. bluesmann8

bluesmann8 Senior Member

:hiP

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  5. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

Yep, Suhr Badger 18 or 30.

6. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Dr. Z Carmen Ghia. 2 knobs, vol., tone, who needs more? 18watts. Elegant in its simplicity.

7. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

All great suggestions so far, but my vote would be for a Swart... Since I got my AST, I have almost forgotten about pedals... the AST is excellent and has 'verb and trem, but the standard 5-watt version has some of the sweetest tones ever heard. If you want to gig without mic'ing, go for an AST.... if you play only small venues or if you plan to mic to the PA, get a 5-watter... get the new STR-Tweed version w/ reverb for the absolute best experience you'll ever have with Guitar-Cable-Amp...

Bonus? You can carry ALL your required gear from home to car and car to venue in a single trip! It all fits in your backseat....

I go to gigs now, and i carry strat in a tweed HS case, folding guitar stand, pedal board (PT mini) in one hand, amp in the other hand... total weight of EVERYTHING is less than the weight of a Tweed Bassman or a Pro-Reverb...

8. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

What kind of music do you play?

9. Fernando

Fernando Member

Yes, the Swart seems like a great amp. But do you use time-based pedals in front of it? How does it sound? No fx loop right?

10. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I sometimes use Delay and Chorus in front of it. It takes all pedals extremely well. No Fx loop.

It's essentially a tweed amp circuit and the only thing to remember about pedals is that there are plenty of Mids in the tone, so boosts and/or overdrives that add mid-range typically don't sound as good as they would through a Marshall or a Blackface... a Zendrive or a Tubescreamer-type sound fine, but they punch up the already substantial mids so you have to REALLY want a lot of midrange to use these pedals infront of a tweed circuit. Also, there is no real need for a compressor unless you want it for added sustain during leads (lots of natural compression in the amp itself.

FWIW, I am not a big fan of the over-processed sound (lots of delay, compression, and chorus-y type sounds...) so I don't use them that much unless the song calls for them. My pedal board typically will have a couple of dirt pedals, a boost, and maybe a chorus that rarely gets turned on. I used to run a Carbon Copy delay that stayed on and was set to about 120ms delay to fatten up the tone, but after shifting to this amp, I have sold the delay. The Reverb on this amp is top notch and is very warm. I am still figuring out which dirt pedals I like best, but my set up now is a Timmy, an OCD, a Fat Boost (ver1), and a Catalinbread DLS... I am trying to get it down to only two of the ODs so I can run a smaller board... the Timmy and the OCD are competing at the moment.

The amp only weighs 28lbs and that's with a pretty heavy ceramic speaker installed. If you shifted to an alnico or neo speaker, the weight would be well under 25lbs.

11. Loki

Loki Member

Thanks for the advice guys :)

The Swart Atomic Space Tone is too expensive, 1500 was really the upper limit. The other Swart one looks nice but might be a little too small for my needs.

The Newcastle sounds great and the price is okay, too. Even in tone with it the Dr. Z Carmen Ghia blew me away - very nice tone! Haven't looked for the price yet (little afraid)

I did not have time to listen to a Badger 18 yet but i will for sure.

So long - thanks for the advice.

/e Before i forget here are some amps i put on the radar, too:

Budda Superdrive 18

Marshall 2061X (dont really know what to expect here)

and the good ol Vox Ac15 hW