Simple things

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by OlAndrew, Dec 17, 2009.

1. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

The wife used to be, long ago, a concert pianist. For the past several years, she's had fibromyalgia pretty bad, and it killed the muscle memory and fine coordination, and she prety much lost her playing ability.

But about a year ago, she took an interest again, and I got her a used Roland keyboard that has some pretty nice sounds, and the keys work a little easier than a 'real' one. She's been working slowly and with difficulty, there'll never be any more Rachmaninoff, but she can play a little.

So she started badgering me to learn some Christmas carols. And slowly and with difficulty, I am. She gets a tad uppity about the slides and bends I drop in, but she's got nuttin to woof about....ever listen to a classical trained person try to play blues?

So, together, we sound......terrible. But ya know, we both of us have WAY more miles behind the back wheel than we do in front of the headlight, and anything we can share and enjoy during the Holidays is precious.

So, get together with your loved one, or someone, and DO something. Don't just buy em a bunch of STUFF, DO something together. And think how special and precious the time you have together is.

2. cycler

cycler Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your wife"s condition. My wife has the same issue, although not as bad. Glad to hear the keyboard you got for her allows her to play music again. Hope it brings some joy into her life.

3. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

Oh man, thanks for sharing this. My wife got a Takamine acoustic for her 16th b-day (she's 23 now) and she's been begging me to teach her some songs.

I might just have to set aside some time to do just that...if it weren't for her being so shy, I'd get her up there singing with me. She has a beautiful voice and even sang at Carnegie Hall with her choir a few years back!

4. jaydub69

jaydub69 Member

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Good luck to both of you.

-john

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Wonderful story. In the spirit of love and your gentle reminder of the fragility of our design, I will take your advice to heart. Peace & Good Tidings to you & yours, forum brother.