Simple to use modeler for new player

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Musicroom, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Musicroom

Musicroom Member

Appreciate some tips. Looking for a small unit that doesn't cost too much (~$150) for my son who is starting out on guitar. Playing through headphones for the most part.

I'm thinking he would be fine with some fender blackface types tones with a few effects.

Maybe something more modern but like the early pods or j-station.

Any suggestions?

2. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I think you'd be best to get a small modeling combo, so at least he has the option of using it without headphones. Something like the Spider V 20 or the Fender Mustang LT 25 would fit the bill. Vox and Blackstar also make some things. There's actually quite a lot of options in this category nowadays.

3. voi666

voi666 Member

used boss me-80.

Musicroom and Moe45673 like this.
  4. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Way too much for someone just learning, imo...

Musicroom likes this.
  5. quantech

quantech Member

Cheap and simple.

Foxmeister likes this.
  6. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Used Zoom G3? Not sure how good it is on the fender side of things but should have perfectly servicable amp sims for a beginner.

7. dmock66

dmock66 Member

+1 for the G3 (or G3X)

I'd also recommend a Digitech RP360/RP360XP - simple to use, plenty of options to get started with and they sound good.

Musicroom and JiveTurkey like this.
  8. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

or the new Zoom G1four i'm sure would be good.

Musicroom likes this.
  9. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

and I also just watched this last night:

Musicroom and dmock66 like this.
  10. dmock66

dmock66 Member

There is a local cover band - the rhythm guitar player uses a Mooer GE200 - sounds pretty good. I've talked with him and he basically is using stock presets with very small tweaks to amp settings to fit his guitar/playing.

Musicroom and sahhas like this.
  11. Emigre

Emigre Member

I would suggest one of the mini combos like the THR10 or Katana Air.

Simple to use, great tones on either headphones or the small built in speakers.

I would encourage a new player to concentrate 100% on building up their guitar skills. Time spent working out the FX unit is not time well spent IMO.

12. JHand

JHand Member

I haven't played one, but I think the Yamaha THR 10 would be a good choice. Simple, not too expensive, and reportedly they sound good for what they are. Also they are small enough that you can put them on a desk and leave them there.

Musicroom and BillTrantos like this.
  13. hippietim

hippietim Member

I agree with what you said about getting an amp, but the ME-80 is way simpler than all the units that have tons of menus to navigate.

14. Nofire

Nofire Member

That would be my suggestion as well, or maybe even a katana 50 combo which seems to go for about as much as the THR or Katana Air used where I live. That way he can also play louder when possible which is undeniably a lot of fun ;-) With the power scaling, playing at reasonable volumes shouldn't be a problem.

Although I agree with the fact that focus should be on playing, toying around with effects and exploring the sound of the electric guitar can also be a motivator to pick up the instrument and play. So I wouldn't advice against a "multi-effect" with the motivation that it will stand in the way of playing. If the music he listens is effects heavy, it logical that he'll want to try to emulate that sound. That being said, the THR and Katana both have a good selection of effects to try out.

blackmonday, Brooks and Musicroom like this.
  15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Regarding me-80

I hear ya, but respectfully disagree. Set it to clean or crunch, set the OD to blues drive as a pseudo-clean boost, and bob's your uncle. Show the boy a few videos about how to dial in a metal tone (since lotta boys tend to go there) and away he goes.

Definitely prefer it to the JStation or pod bean simply due to the fact that he can control it with his feet! Being able to switch between clean and dirt while playing is the minimum i'd ask for.
    Anything with physical knobs is way simpler than menu-diving and way less overwhelming as you can focus on what's in front lf you without needing to remember everything.

Another option would be the older Boss ME-70 which has half the footswitches as the 80

16. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Have a look at the Digitech RP360. IMO a lot of bang for the buck. I've had it, the Zoom G3, and a few others. IMO it's the best sounding modeler out there under $200. If you can find a used Fender Mustang III cheap that's also a great way to go.

Musicroom and dmock66 like this.
  17. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Roland Cube series

Musicroom likes this.
  18. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I only meant it's too much in the sense that I think even having a bunch of effects to worry about at all might be "too tempting", in a sense, to someone just learning. It's not that it's complicated... It's just that I think having something even simpler would be better if the goal is actually learning to play.

19. Lele

Lele Member

"For the most part" and then? Do you already have an amp? Do you need a loud amp, too, to compete with other players or just to play a home sometimes with more volume?

The above suggestion about the Yamaha THR5 is good, even if it's not very cheap. It offers headphones output, aux in and USB (working like a soundcard with a PC), some rather nice amp models with some effects, and in case little speakers to listen to music and guitar without the headphones. What's more the THR little amps are stereo, and with headphones it's much nicer than something mono like Boss Katana Mini for example. Yamaha THR series includes some little effects too (phaser, tremolo, chorus, etc).

The only real alternative to Yamaha THR imho is the Blackstar Fly 3. It's mono, but with stereo headphones sound of your audio mixed thorugh the line in. It does not have any USB, so you can't use it with your PC like a soundcard. There's a Bluetooth version too, that can be nice in some cases. It's only a two channels amp (clean and crunch) with less equalization adjustments than Yamaha, but it's also cheaper. Oh, well, there is even a cheap additional speaker if you want a little more power with stereo sound (more similar to Yamaha THR). Fly 3 doesn't offer any effect except for delay.

Zoom and Digitech on the contrary offers nice multi-fx compact pedals with more and flexible effects and amp simulations, but maybe the above suggestions can help to focus more on the guitar playing, and with the possibility to hear music with no headphones, too, but anyway with a very compact device.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Musicroom and BillTrantos like this.
  20. hippietim

hippietim Member

Part of the fun at that age is messing with effects too and the ME-80 is a brilliantly simple device that still sounds good.