• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Simplest way to add presets to the Source Audio Orbital Modulator?

MattLeFevers

So, the SA Orbital Modulator is amazing, but it only has two presets, and it's not terribly simple to dial in sounds on the fly. I'd love to be able to access a few more presets.

The answer that seems to come up everywhere is "get the Neuro hub" - but the Neuro hub itself then requires a separate MIDI controller, right?

Is there any way to expand the functionality of this pedal that is simpler or less expensive than laying out $100 for the hub, then another $75-100 for something like a Disaster Area DMC-2 to control it? That's more than the Orbital cost in the first place, not to mention all the space and power requirements that come with adding two more things to the board.

Just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on a better way to do this. Thanks!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
How about getting the Solmate midi controller that outputs directly to the Sounblox II series?

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
So, the SA Orbital Modulator is amazing, but it only has two presets, and it's not terribly simple to dial in sounds on the fly. I'd love to be able to access a few more presets.

The answer that seems to come up everywhere is "get the Neuro hub" - but the Neuro hub itself then requires a separate MIDI controller, right?

Is there any way to expand the functionality of this pedal that is simpler or less expensive than laying out $100 for the hub, then another $75-100 for something like a Disaster Area DMC-2 to control it? That's more than the Orbital cost in the first place, not to mention all the space and power requirements that come with adding two more things to the board.

Just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on a better way to do this. Thanks!
Exactly why I got rid of mine. Awesome pedal with great sounds and features, but the costs of getting the most out of it, both monetary and space wise, just didn't work for my application.
So I held out in the hopes their expression pedal would remedy this, but no, still need the hub.
I will say this, if I was starting everything from scratch, it would be a Source Audio solution from start to finish. The one series look like great, versatile pedals and the Nemesis a great delay unit, which is soon to be joined by a comparable reverb unit.
Having the great interaction with representatives and users alike is awesome.
Source Audio obviously wants to put their best foot forward in offering products players can use with the greatest of flexibilty.
Kudos to them for that, and that's all part of the reason that there will be other Source Audio products in my rigs.

Stevee00

I'm just discovering Source Audio. I've had the Nemesis for a month and it's a keeper. Just got the Orbital Modulator yesterday. It's a keeper too. I came here looking for ways to access more presets, exactly as the OP said.

Is there any way to integrate control between the Orbital Modulator and the Nemesis?

When is Source Audio coming out with a dual looper? Pigtronix Infinity is really good, but I think the Source Audio guys are a couple steps ahead of even Pigtronix in terms of fine control and customization.

Steve
Electrified Clarinet

rsmith601

Vendor
I'm just discovering Source Audio. I've had the Nemesis for a month and it's a keeper. Just got the Orbital Modulator yesterday. It's a keeper too. I came here looking for ways to access more presets, exactly as the OP said.

Is there any way to integrate control between the Orbital Modulator and the Nemesis?

When is Source Audio coming out with a dual looper? Pigtronix Infinity is really good, but I think the Source Audio guys are a couple steps ahead of even Pigtronix in terms of fine control and customization.

Steve
Electrified Clarinet
You need a Hub next, and simple midi controller.

Stevee00

The Hub, and a controller (like the Solemate), is so worth it!
I love the Nemesis Delay, and the Orbital Modulator has replaced my MXR because it gives me total control of the phaser parameters. But I can't afford the money or the added complexity of having yet another controller network. So I'll have to make do with the two presets on the Orbital. The Nemesis has MIDI in/thru so that one's easy. And the CC# chart is very complete. I control it with a Keith Macmillen SoftStep.

Steve
Electrified Clarinet

Jukup

So, I already own the Nemesis, which I am controlling from my ES-8, via Midi. I want to add the Orbital Modulator and the Lunar Phaser at some point, but I also have a couple of Chase Bliss Audio products to add. The recommend their Midi box, but Source Audio recommends the Hub. Would any of these boxes work for both applications? I understand different cables will be needed, but is there a deeper technical reason why Midi signals would be implemented differently between the two pedal manufacturers? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rsmith601

Vendor
So, I already own the Nemesis, which I am controlling from my ES-8, via Midi. I want to add the Orbital Modulator and the Lunar Phaser at some point, but I also have a couple of Chase Bliss Audio products to add. The recommend their Midi box, but Source Audio recommends the Hub. Would any of these boxes work for both applications? I understand different cables will be needed, but is there a deeper technical reason why Midi signals would be implemented differently between the two pedal manufacturers? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The Hub is much more than midi. It allows for bidirectional communication with all SA pedals connected to it, and shared expression control.

Jukup

Hi, and thanks for the response! So, if I bought the Hub, would I be able to send simple Midi pass-through signals through the outputs to other manufacturer's pedals? Or is the Midi implementation out of the Hub SA-specific and would not work for anyone else? Thanks!

rsmith601

Vendor
I will give an example of a good starting point.
1) Get something like a MIDI Mouse. This think sends the most basic of MIDI messages: the Program Change (PS for short). It is basically a Number from 00 to 127
2) Send this signal to the Hub. Connect the SA pedals to the Hub. Press "scan" so that the Hub knows what is out there.
3) Lets say the MIDI Mouse is on 01. I can set up all my SA pedals just how I want them. I then press the "SAVE" button on the Hub until I get an LED flash.
I just saved a preset of multiple pedals to location 01 and I did not do any MIDI programming!! You can switch the MIDI Mouse to 02 and then save another preset. I suggest you use 00 as the place where all the pedals are saved in BYPASS.
So, this is the nice thing about the Hub. It makes saving 128 presets across multiple SA pedals very easy and there are no big MIDI cables going in and out.

Now, what about the non-SA pedals? Take the MIDI out from the Hub and go to the next one in the chain. Hopefully, those other pedals can accept a MIDI PC and will do something when you send a message. The Nemesis is not only compatible with the Hub, but it has dedicated MIDI too. If you send the Nemesis a 01 PC message, it will call up whatever preset you have save in the preset 2 slot on Nemesis (00 is preset 1 on Nemesis). While Nemesis has 8 presets you can access without MIDI, it can store 128 in total and you just need to send a PC message to the MIDI port to recall it. I do not know if the CB pedals act this way, but they ought to.

So, that is an easy way to get into the world of MIDI without getting all technical and confused! Hope this helps.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom