• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Simplifier DLX Question

McGurk

I’m interested in the new DLX Simplifier, but I’m having a hard time figuring out if it can do what I want. I’ve watched several videos and read the manual a couple times but I’m still unsure.

My question: Can it function in mono output, with the ability to switch between the two amp channels, each with its own power amp, cabsim and reverb settings?

Since I have no interest in the stereo capabilities, maybe this isn’t for me. I just thought it sounded really great, and was considering swapping out my Iridium for it. If the lower row of controls can’t be set for the two channels independently, I’ll pass.

Jim Roseberry

The two Cab Sim channels aren't hard assigned to the two separate amp channels.
They're both always active.
If you're recording, you could set each Cab Sim channel to your preferred settings (for the two separate amps).
Use the Left output for one amp... and the right output for the other.
When switching amps, use the appropriate Left/Right output.
For live, this wouldn't work.

FWIW, I much prefer the Simplifier DLX vs. Iridium. The distortion/feel is IMO more realistic.
The Simplifier DLX takes pedals well... but you may find a drive/boost unnecessary.
There's plenty of gain to get into "Modded Marshall" territory.

McGurk

So, if I wanted to use it as a two amp mono output, I would need to have shared controls for the cab, presence, resonance and reverb? And would I need to somehow combine the to stereo outputs, or could I just run out of one side?

Redman69

I own the Simplifier DLX and this can do what you need it to. You can set all the parameters for each channel individually and use a foot switch to switch between them hands-free.

Jim Roseberry

I own the Simplifier DLX and this can do what you need it to. You can set all the parameters for each channel individually and use a foot switch to switch between them hands-free.
Switch to either amp channel A or channel B, the signal (from either channel) goes thru both Left and Right Cab Sim/Power Amp sections. Reverb also goes to both Left and Right outputs.

If the OP is recording, he can isolate one output (where the Cab Sim/Power Amp section is tweaked for that channel). ie: He could tweak the left Cab Sim/Power Amp section for channel A... and the right Cab Sim/Power Amp section for channel B. Just need to turn off the reverb... and isolate the desired Left or Right output.

If the OP is playing live, it would be a lot more complex to manage muting the unwanted Left or Right output.

McGurk

I may be getting some conflicting messages here. To clarify, when you say you can set the parameters for each channel individually, does that include power amp, cab sim and reverb controls?

Redman69

I may be getting some conflicting messages here. To clarify, when you say you can set the parameters for each channel individually, does that include power amp, cab sim and reverb controls?
Yes, I believe so. When i switch between the two channels I can hear the different parameters clearly, regardless of whether the circuit hard-assigns each channel as is suggested above. This is if you set it up as a mono 2-channel amp (first setting in the manual).

Jim Roseberry

Yes, I believe so. When i switch between the two channels I can hear the different parameters clearly, regardless of whether the circuit hard-assigns each channel as is suggested above. This is if you set it up as a mono 2-channel amp (first setting in the manual).
FWIW, With the Simplifier DLX I have here... I have it set to "Mono Input, Two-Channel Stereo Amp"... as pictured/explained in the manual.

At first, I thought it was using a separate Cab for each of the two amp channels.
That's not the case.
The selected amp channel (A or B) runs into both Cab/Power Amp channels (bottom controls Left, top controls Right).
Move both Mic Position knobs (while playing)... and you'll find that both left and right Mic Position knobs are affecting the tone of the selected channel.

It's hard to read (small print)... but the Cab and Power Amp sections are labeled Left (bottom) and Right (top).
Left is gold... Right is white.

McGurk

FWIW, With the Simplifier DLX I have here... I have it set to "Mono Input, Two-Channel Stereo Amp"... as pictured/explained in the manual.

At first, I thought it was using a separate Cab for each of the two amp channels.
That's not the case.
The selected amp channel (A or B) runs into both Cab/Power Amp channels (bottom controls Left, top controls Right).
Move both Mic Position knobs (while playing)... and you'll find that both left and right Mic Position knobs are affecting the tone of the selected channel.

It's hard to read (small print)... but the Cab and Power Amp sections are labeled Left (bottom) and Right (top).
Left is gold... Right is white.
Is this happening with both left and right outputs in use or with just a single mono out?

Jim Roseberry

I'm using both Left and Right outputs.

If you're using the Simplifier DLX for recording, you could set the left and right Cab/Power-Amp sections up independently (one for each of the two Amp channels).
You could then just mute the undesired output.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Is this happening with both left and right outputs in use or with just a single mono out?
@dsmnoisemaker will need to weigh in.

I get what you are asking and from my read of the manual it looks like you can't have a single MONO output that allows to switch between Preamp A and B. It appears to be configured to do lots of things...just not that particular thing. That said - I'm pretty sure you can easily find a way to "sum" the two different outputs from the DSM into a single MONO cable to feed the input of your target amplifier.

What are you plugging it into for re-amping it? Many/most FRFR type speakers have multiple inputs. If it's a PA then you need two channel inputs.

I have the original DSM and it's a great unit. My world is using pedals in front of a clean amp and the DSM is my "backup/direct feed" as needed.

Last edited:

McGurk

@dsmnoisemaker will need to weigh in.

I get what you are asking and from my read of the manual it looks like you can't have a single MONO output that allows to switch between Preamp A and B. It appears to be configured to do lots of things...just not that particular thing. That said - I'm pretty sure you can easily find a way to "sum" the two different outputs from the DSM into a single MONO cable to feed the input of your target amplifier.

What are you plugging it into for re-amping it? Many/most FRFR type speakers have multiple inputs. If it's a PA then you need two channel inputs.

I have the original DSM and it's a great unit. My world is using pedals in front of a clean amp and the DSM is my "backup/direct feed" as needed.
PA, so you’re right, I could just use two cables and go stereo. I’m still curious about the second row of controls. As mentioned, they do say left and right, but they’re also color coded corresponding to channel a and b.

J0ps

@McGurk I found out the hard way you can't sum the channels at the XLR outputs. You can certainly change channels with the footswitch but the channel output that doesn't have an XLR outputting is stripped of cab and power sim rendering it useless. Going to investigate an XLR splitter cable...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom