• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Simplifying the board

caballero59

In the interest of making my pedal board cheaper and simpler, I was wondering about replacing my Two Notes CAB and Blackbird with a Shift Line Twin that had a built in speaker sim. Any experience out there with that? Would this be a big down grade? To be fair, I did notice that a tube preamp > CAB IR approach was an improvement over the speaker sim in the Tech 21 Character pedals that I used before I discovered the Two Notes CAB. (I have being going ampless with a pedal board straight into the mixer for some time now)

JesterR

Cpeaker sim in Tech21 is a lot more better, then in shift line twin. I wonder, that you do not found IR speaker sim better, then sansamp, but anyway, I believe, that after CAB, Shift line speaker sim is a lot downgrade.

I personaly bought russian made Torpedo CAB analog AMT Pangea, and could not be happier with it.

caballero59

Preamp and CAB IR is better than Sansamp but I was hoping that the Shiftline would be enough better than Sansamp that I could eliminate the CAB and simplify my board. Maybe not? If the Shiftline Twin speaker sim is less than the Tech 21 Character pedal, then no way will it work for me. The British with speaker sim disabled and then run into the Two Notes CAB is petty impressive for the money also.

I've played gigs with a British and Blonde and switched back and forth with a LoopMaster Clean/Dirty effects switcher and had decent luck with that.

My ideal board would be a Minstrel > Page > tube preamp with speaker sim built in but the CAB may be a necessary piece at this time anyway.

Last edited:

rsm

AMT pedals are worth a look. IMO

I had a CAB (used it with a G-System and TriAxis for a direct rig), still have my Tech 21 Liverpool, but I've been considering an AMT SS-30 Bulava...to use with my G-System at some point if/when I decide to use it again.

JesterR

If the Shiftline Twin speaker sim is less than the Tech 21 Character pedal, then no way will it work for me.
Unfortunately, this is true. Shiftline Twin is great preamp with nice features. But speaker sim, is definitely not that good.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom