Simulating a pedal steel w/ effects?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dandy13, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

Anyone try this? What did you use and what were the settings?
    Thanks!

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

no effects, just volume swells (via knob or pedal) and clever bends + clever picking.

3. radcliff

radcliff Member

Learn the licks, use some big reverb and a volume pedal.

4. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

cool, i got a holy grail on the way. thanks

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

A friend uses only volume control on guitar and a Roland Space Echo - sounds fantastic. Might also mention he's got hella chops too.

6. starfish

starfish Member

7. HHB

HHB Member

you can do it w/ a Whammy pedal

8. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

I have a LINE 6 Dr. Distorto coming today and I'm hoping that the sustainer function will help me ape a steel
    I hope....

9. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

the digitech GNX has a pedal steel patch that's quite remarkable.

10. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Well it might help (I've never tried one, so can't comment on that pedal specifically), but it might make things worse.
    I've done volume swells and fake pedal steel stuff for years. I always use the guitar's volume control.
    In my experience you might want to experiment with less drive/distortion than you might first think. Here is why:
    Unless the gain from the amp/pedal/etc... is very sensitive to the volume taper it might negatively affect the swell of the notes. Half the fun and beauty of pedal steel sounds is that there is a taper in volume (from little to none at the initial attack all the way to full note bloom and volume).
    If you've got a ton of gain then the volume could become very pronounced very quickly and there is little or no taper.

So just a suggestion: start with less gain than you think you'll need and work from there. A good compressor might work as well as anything.

11. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Compressor wouldn't hurt, because you'll never get the natural sustain out of a guitar that you will from the big hunk of solid wood.

12. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

The tried and true Nashville thing has always been using a compressor like an old MXR DynaComp,old Boss CS-2, or what finally ended up with which is an Analogman MiniBiComp. Set the comp for medium squish and then go to town with those hellacool two and three string licks which usually incorporate holding down the root, fifth and/or b7th of the chord with your pinky and bending into the 3rd with your third finger. Of course that is just one type of lick but it is common enough to get you into the ballpark. Pedal steel licks require one to play more like a jazz player as you have to be aware of very chord you are playing over. No penatonic or blues scale mindless wailing is going to work here but when you start to get a handle on this style it can be very musically rewarding.

13. thewex

thewex Member

i just use a slide and my volume pedal in conjunction with a little delay & my microvibe and voila! i really only do it when we cover "breathe" by floyd so i can do that stuff in the beginning before the lyrics start. its a bit of tap dancing to pull it off, so i usually dont hit it everytime :)

14. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

A cool little trick is to do kind of upside down oblique bend where you are pulling the 3rd string down towards the 1st string.

A very typical, but great starting place for pedal-steel bends is the maj 2nd to maj (or min) 3rd bend.

Example: Key of A (works in all keys):

3rd finger on 7th fret (E) of the 5th string
    4th finger on 7th fret (A) of the 4th string (or leave it open in key of A)
    1st finger on 4th fret (B) of the 3rd string

Pluck inverted triad simultaneously with pick and fingers and pull the 1st finger towards the floor until you hit the C# (3rd of the chord)

Pulling up a 1/2 step to the C, will give an Am chord cluster resolution.

Pretty classic sound when using some comp/verb and a volume pedal or pinkie swell. Killer for endings and dramatic fills.

That is a great starting place for the technique, and you can raise and lower notes to resolve different chords. Perfect intonation is the key.

Rock on

15. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I use a compressor into a short delay with a moderate amount of reverb on the amp...

16. Jam119

Jam119 Member

Addde a hipsot B-Bender to my ASAT Tele... Baber tonepress and a volume pedal gets you there easier...

17. playon

playon Supporting Member

A fairly transparent compressor & a volume pedal...

18. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Volume swells, lots of compression, and a slide.

19. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

Just a quick note, not too impressed with the LINE 6 Dr. Distorto sustain function
    maybe I can tweak it into place, but......
    the search continues