Since we're talking about Tweed Champs....

Mighty Melvin

Since we're talking about Tweed Champs, does anyone know of a good kit that uses a 6L6 (and appropriately larger transformers) in the output?

bamboo633

I have done this mod to a Tweed Princeton which is basically a Champ with a tone control and a bit more power supply filtering.

I converted a 5F2a with a 10" Eminence Legend 1058K speaker from a 6V6GT to a 6L6GWB. I used a Mojotone 15W single ended output transformer (MOJO 15WSE-H), switched to a GZ34 rectifier to get 400V on the 6L6 plate, used the 650VAC taps off the PT, increased the first input cap to [email protected], and increased the V1a bypass cap and power tube bypass cap to 50V rated ones from 25V.

In the end, I achieved about 7.42W of output @1K into a static 8ohm load before distortion (12.96W at full distortion). The gain in volume was negligible. Just for reference, the original Princeton was about 4.75W @ 1KHz.

There is a difference in the way it sounds. The bass is tighter although it could still use a bit of a bass boost, and it is cleaner overall. It is still a wonderful amp but it is not really a Princeton anymore.

Hope this helps!

Mighty Melvin

I have done this mod to a Tweed Princeton which is basically a Champ with a tone control and a bit more power supply filtering.

There is a difference in the way it sounds. The bass is tighter although it could still use a bit of a bass boost, and it is cleaner overall.

That's what I'm lookin for !!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom