• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Since we're talking The Beatles, can we agree Paperback Writer has the coolest guitar tone ever?

Jollyb

Gold Supporting Member
I acknowledge the greatness there but I prefer the Paperback Writer riff. To each his own, it would be a boring world and there would be no need for a forum like this if we all liked the same things and completely agreed with each other 100% in our opinions.
True. Absolutely.....but are we talking Riffs or Tone here? Don't make me break out my Tony Iommi vids........... :aok

Reactions: PRW

PRW

True. Absolutely.....but are we talking Riffs or Tone here? Don't make me break out my Tony Iommi vids........... :aok

I personally am talking tone because IMO the Revolver-era guitar tone was the only truly distinct guitar tone the Beatles ever did … most of the time the guitar was simply a tool to the songwriting end for them … and I really love it.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Great riff, excellent playing, awful tone.

Jollyb

Gold Supporting Member
:aok
I personally am talking tone because IMO the Revolver-era guitar tone was the only truly distinct guitar tone the Beatles ever did … most of the time the guitar was simply a tool to the songwriting end for them … and I really love it.
Just purely Beatles ......had to be the Overdriven Fuzz on Revolution for me.

Reactions: PRW

Salfordlad

They hit their height with the Revolver sessions. After that it was slowly downhill ending with Maxwell's Silver Hammer and other drivel.

dazco

A song with few equals to be sure. Guitar tone? Yes, great tho not sure i would be as enthusiastic about it as you. (op) And for me, i go for tones that are all around and versitaile....jack of all trades master of none. PW tone surely isn't that by a country mile, but very cool tone none the less. I love percussive tone and thats certainly overflowing with that.

Marcus C

Agreed, everyone’s always talking about pepper which is a great album but my favorite of their catalog is definitely revolver

Yes, totally agree, Revolver is really quite the amazing album. My favorite as well, gave it to my brother-in-law for Christmas years ago. The critics used to laud Rubber Soul as their entrance to psychedelic rock. That would be a no---Revolver for sure!

FlyngFarmer

Silver Supporting Member
Would you mind sharing your source on that? I have a lot of experience with a blonde Bassman (completely cranked) and p90s and I never got a tone like that out of it.

It's been a topic of discussion and debate for years over on Beatgearcavern. There have been numerous video and audio clips posted by owners of UL vox amps as well as the 6G6-B Bassman and the Bassman always comes closest. Add to that the numerous studio pictures around that time and it's pretty clear what was used for what, even though no published photos of that day exist. There are nerds, however, that have pictures of that day in private collections.

fitz

The tone and that opening are amazing. The intro absolutely takes off from the get-go.

Top Bottom