Sing Out!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Campfired, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Campfired

Campfired Member

In this day and age, we often forget the power of our own voices in song. For those who already know, a good mic and audio system goes a long way towards belting out a crooner at karaoke or your favorite open-mic jam.

My feeling is this: I personally own a decent audio interface and several mics for recording both acoustic and vocal music....why don't you hear me singing more often? It's because my focus is mostly on playing an instrument, and my singing & playing sounds worse than a pair of mewling cats getting a wash in a bathtub. :oops:

For those who do sing well while playing, perhaps you'd care to provide us less inclined folks with some tips on how to carry a vocal tune and jam on guitar. The celebration of song awaits. Could you provide your renditions of vocal/instrument accompaniments for us to cop a few tips?

Cal Webway and strike3 like this.
  2. rambleon

rambleon Silver Supporting Member

How about you record your instrument track first and then overdub your vocals? Should be pretty easy, and eill allow you to focus on each task.

3. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Not sure what kind of tips you're looking for. I play and sing a lot and I only got good at it by doing it a lot. Understanding that I'm not pulling off Lindsay Buckingham stuff while I'm singing and playing. In any case, I think practice is the best thing you can do to build this skill.

4. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Bob, you're probably aware of this but listening to your voice thru headphones is a must.

Stu Cats, Scrapperz and Campfired like this.
  5. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I am not saying you can't have your own thread, but I happened to ask the same question a few months back in "Playing & Technique" and got a lot of good input: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/who-here-can-sing-and-who-cant.1869956/

And I agree with @lp_bruce that practice is the best thing. Another thing is that you should actually learn the notes and hear them in your head before you sing them.

That, and about 100 more things; breathing, tongue control, enunciation of vowels and consonants, "style" and mic technique.

6. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Practice, practice, practice.

7. Roark

Roark Member

Start with a simple motor movement on guitar, strumming is something you should be able to do without having to think about it. Allows you to concentrate on your vocal line. Eventually you can graduate to scatting your guitar notes.

I was always amazed by folks who could play a complicated solo and sing on top of it.

Practice.

8. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

Bob, here’s the key: Repetition.

I’m the main singer in both my three piece and of course solo acts.

My story is not unique. As a wee ranger, none of my friends wanted to sing. I was the only one willing to step up to the mic. And it was awful. But it got less awful with time. Then it got acceptable. Then it got better. After a while playing and singing was a natural thing.

The only way to get comfortable is to do it over and over and over.

To this day, I’ll learn the foundation on guitar, then add the melody, finally nailing the lyrics. From there the polish can be added. Then it has to be repeated and repeated until muscle memory kicks in. Unfortunately this stage often kills the thrills.

And also, to this day, the initial effort resembles those mewling cats you mention.

Don’t expect results without doing the work.

9. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

I don't forget about my voice ever. I play and sing country songs and even though I can shred I play very few solos these days.

10. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Yep. I started my music life as a singer and only learned the guitar so I could accompany myself and learn songs. And when I started, I could only play or sing, not both. I just kept working on it and gradually got better.

It probably helps to set some goals. Pick some songs that seem like they would be easy to sing/play first. Once you have knocked those down, move on to something a bit harder and on and on.

11. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

After about 48 years I’m getting pretty good!

DeSolo, sixstringfuel, derekd and 2 others like this.
  12. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Well said:cool:
    My early mentor, a bass player always said "when you've played it so much you're sick of it, it is sounding good to the audience". A downer way to put it but some truth there i think.

13. Samsun19

Samsun19 Member

These type of questions pop up every once and a while here.... Here are a few post's I made a couple years ago that should help.

I've been a Pro voice & guitar teacher/coach in Los Angeles for many years. I also direct Performance Workshops.

Here are the fundamentals that need to be learned....

1. Breath: How to breath properly from the diaphragm, physical exercises to dramatically increase the amount of air you can take in, and to control the air.

2. Placement: Where do you form your words? Back, as in the back of the throat, like swallowing.... Middle, as in the middle of the mouth above the center of the tongue.... Forward, as in in front of the face. Forward is where you want to be. It's the hardest to master, and the only way to get a 'bel canto" tone. The most beautiful tone a human voice can produce.... Then you can play with the placement to stylize your singing to different genres.

3. Singing Mask: Learning about the singing mask, in front of the face, which actually has a specific place for every pitch, jut like a guitar has fret's.... When singers try to sing a 'c' note, but are two low on the mask, they get a strained sound, trying to push up to the right place. When they hit the right place, the note sounds easy. A singer needs to know his mask, just as a guitarist needs to know his fingerboard.

4. Phonetics: The art of pronouncing vowels and consonants correctly. Singers sing vowel's which are naturally forward and require no movement of the tongue ( a guttural stroke ) and enunciate or throw away consonants.

5. Interpretation: Singers have to make choices about what they are singing, just like an actor. When you sing with your heart and soul, and have clear ideas about what you want your audience to feel, you draw your audience in. With out heart and soul, choices, you'll bore your audience even if you sing well technically.

To learn all of the things listed above and singing techniques like vibrato, and to swell the notes is a very difficult task. My experience is, just like everything in life, the students get out what they put into it. That said, I've been very fortunate to have many many pros as students. ( for those who might be interested, here's my web page, www.SunPathMusic.com )

Best wishes for your musically journey,

Sam

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  14. Campfired

Campfired Member

I think this would be a good way to think about recording song tracks. The concept of "one-take" works great for live bands, but when putting together song parts, it might be wise to consider working up to playing live by recording music tracks first, overdubbing vocals once the song itself takes form. Yeah, it may be more a production this way, but until I could practice playing and singing together, it might be an alternate way of putting vocals together with music tracks.

rambleon and lp_bruce like this.
  15. derekd

derekd Member

Bob, is there a venue and a night we can see you perform Karaoke?

Me and AZ are willing to make a road trip.

Teal_66, sixstringfuel, Roark and 9 others like this.
  16. Campfired

Campfired Member

Heh. Only one open-mic acoustic jam a few towns away on Friday nights. I rarely attend that one but have been known to make a fool of myself trying to play lead guitar over iTunes backing jamtracks.

(Actually, that was the venue that offered me pay for playing an hour's worth of tunes, but didn't have the gear to pull that off this past year. Will revisit the venue again in the spring with guitar/effects/amp in tow, and re-approach venue management with questions of what would be required for a paid gig)

17. derekd

derekd Member

I've heard your guitar playing. Not too shabby.

I was more interested in hearing the golden pipes.

You know, belting out tunes like Seger's Fire Down Below, or Foreigner's Hot Blooded, that kind of thing.

18. Campfired

Campfired Member

19. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

Most definitely