Sing Out!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Campfired, Dec 31, 2017.

1. el capitan

el capitan Member

Bob, would you happen to have any professionally done publicity photos or portraits on hand already?

2. Tachymetres

Tachymetres Supporting Member

Oh boy, this cannot be overstated. I'm at the start of a singing journey also and have been preparing for that by practicing just playing 15 or 20 songs with my teacher, who accompanies me on keys. Even though I can play the songs pretty well myself, playing in time and with style with him is much more challenging. When you lose your place or fumble a bar, which will happen, you need to get over it immediately and get back on track. I imagine doing that in front of an audience brings it to another level.

I could not keep rhythm and sing 2 months ago but can now after daily practice. Finding my range is key. I'm a Beatles fan and can cover most of John's lyrics but not all of Paul's in some songs. Girl was my first song I felt good about.

My rig allows for acoustic amplification and a mic connection - a Fender Acoustasonic 90, a Shure SM58 and my Eastman AC 822ce should cover what I need without spending a lot.

Best of luck and don't give up!

3. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Bob, sorry to hear your schedule is so tight. Is there something you could eliminate or cut back on to make the time for at least the guitar practice? What has your schedule so tied up? CVS scheduling you for overtime these days?

4. joethepainter

joethepainter It's Life, but not as we know it

Happy New Year, Bob! Here's a vid of me messing around with an old family fave...see? Anyone can do it!:D

5. Campfired

Campfired Member

AZ,
    A lot of my time goes into my studies (4 or more hours per week) which will take up a day's worth of activity. That, plus, my congregation meetings (another 4 to 5 hours Sunday and midweek). Also, the time for apartment responsibilities (gardening, cooking, cleaning), and exercise (walking, weight training) that comprises another 10 hours/week. My part-time job also takes up 14 hours/week. Consider sleep: 63 hours/week. Also, appointments, shopping, or errands: 3 hours/week. Drive time: 4 to 6 hours/week. Relaxation/Online TGP time: 56 - 64 hours/week

Knowing that the week has only 168 hours of time:
    4 + 5 + 10 + 14 + 63 + 3 + 5 + 60 = 164 hours

it would be necessary to funnel a good 45 - 60 minutes/day (5-¼ - 7 hours/week) into guitar practice without reducing any other of my pre-assigned activity times. The studies, meetings, apartment responsibilities, exercise, job, sleep, and appt, shopping, errand, and drive time activities are non-compromisable. The only time possible would be not spending as much socialization time with you folks on TGP or online. Because you are part of my "support network" of friends, I personally value my time on TGP for the socialization value and chance it allows me to share my life with you online.

You might wish to ask yourself, if in the same situation, how might you react to the idea that you might need to reduce your socialization activities for the sake of spending more time practicing guitar, even if the practice might only improve your playing, and not secure you any solid paid gigs for your troubles?

Now I'm totally perplexed. Are you Roy, or Joe? :confused: Srsly, nice job. I think I could do that someday with a guitar and non-TGP approved music stand (shudder).

6. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

Ok Bob
    Here’s something I recorded on my phone just now. I’ve been working in this every time I pick up my guitar for about a month.

I was inspired when @Last'sGal started a thread called “How Long Has This Been Going On” about a month ago.

Funny where inspiration may come from.

Anyway, I think it meets the request to Sing Out!

7. Campfired

Campfired Member

No publicity photos already worked up. Just some professionally taken photos of me with my guitars, which I could put together in a Word document advertisement flyer. No need to involve @sanrico, although his work is top-notch (most of the time ;)).

8. Campfired

Campfired Member

OK, not exceptionally polished, but has good bones. Good job! Your voice carries and projects well, even w/o a mic. Thx for the inspiration!

84superchamp likes this.
  9. sanrico

sanrico Member

Don't tempt me!

Why don't you play for your church? You're a good guitarist, no? Wouldn't that scratch the music itch?

10. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Bob, you've convinced me how packed your weeks are! I'm not really sure how you deal with all this activity. Glad you're lifting weights now and getting swole. What sort of improvements since you've starting pumping iron?

11. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Good job ranger! And another tidbit if it ain't obvious: practice standing up, with a strap...not so easy if you've been sitting to practice. Of course if its a seated gig, no problem.

12. time2kill

time2kill Member

Cool thread.

Lots of great singing tips from @Samsun19
    I've never heard of the "mask" before. Is this the same thing as "range"?

Nice job @joethepainter. Sounds good.
    :aok

@rangerkarlos
    Sweet sound clips. And a "tip of the hat" for the ad hoc phone recording. I tried that a couple of times. Complete disaster for me. You did a great job. :cool:

I have a song that I wrote and I'm still working on getting it right. I was thinking about posting a sound clip, but I have some copyright concerns.

If I post the song on TGP, does it become public domain?

I have the tune and words. Currently working on the lead part for the break.

But it does demonstrate playing guitar and singing at the same time. Using a cheap mixer to get the vocals and guitar to the correct levels.

I haven't applied for the copyright yet. If I post the soundtrack, do i lose my rights to my song?
    :dunno

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  13. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Wow! No Good Deed goes unpunished!

Playing, in the morning, to a sterile room and camera, AND engaging the camera and projecting the voice with a less than optimal mic placement.

As an encouragement to a less experienced/developed player, no less.

I dunno - maybe it is just me - but I think "Thank You" may have almost been as good a response as back-handed compliment from Madison Square Bedroom.

14. joethepainter

Thanks for the 'with a strap' advice...I actually did my vid sitting down cuz I left my strap upstairs!:facepalm

15. Samsun19

Samsun19 Member

No, range is what the lowest note through the highest note you can sing well. (Singers improve their range with exercises that stretch the voice).

The mask is difficult to explain, but imagine there is a fretboard vertically in front of your face. Low on the mask, or face is the lower notes, and on the top forehead are the higher notes. The mask extends lower that the chin, and higher than the top of the head, but those extreme notes should only be attempted after gaining lots of experience. Every note that you sing has a 'correct' place/fret it belongs, just like when you play guitar..... So a singer needs to learn the mask, like a guitarist needs to learn the fingerboard.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    drolling, 84superchamp and time2kill like this.
  16. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

Because there’s no way for you to know, you left out it was one take, Jake.

stevemc, StanG, 84superchamp and 6 others like this.
  17. rambleon

rambleon Silver Supporting Member

Reminds me of something that used to get thrown around when I was in architecture school - "Those who can't do, teach; and those who can't teach become critics."

18. joethepainter

#me too:D

19. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

The vocals are definitely the most important part of the equation for singing/playing (though I get that they go hand in hand). A strong vocal performance will connect with your audience more directly and it's what I think about most doing solo shows.

I generally write/practice sitting down at home, but I always run through a set (or parts of a show) standing up before I play live. Especially leads or tricky parts. It's a good habit for sure.

Technically you own a song once you write it and it doesn't become public domain if you share it. You can register your songs if you plan to sell them, but that is another process. Lots of links online for this, but sharing a song here won't void anything or make it public domain.

20. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

I liked it! Strapless and seated...just fine for an impromtu, gear page demo IMO :cool:

time2kill and joethepainter like this.