Singapore Guitar Rental

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Outlier, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Any Singapore TGPers out there? I will be in Singapore for about 6 weeks and wanted to rent a guitar for my stay. Can anyone recommend a good place to rent from? Also, I might try some open mics while visiting so any info on the local scene would be awesome.

Thanks!

2. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

If there is a Hard Rock Hotel call their reservation center. The San Diego Hard Rock Hotel includes Fender guitars and amp at no added cost. They charge you $500 on check in and give you a full credit on checkout.

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I bet it'd be cheaper to take your own instrument. I've traveled to the other side of the globe and back with my 35 year old Martin and its still fine.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

donnyjaguiar,

I'd bring one of my own but after working in Singapore for 6 weeks I'll be traveling for another month in various parts of Asia and carting around a guitar is not practical.

Tahitijack, that would be great but I've already booked my accommodations.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

6. Dasein

Dasein Member

Tom Lee Music

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Dasein, I can't seem to find that recommendation in Singapore. Seems mostly Canadian locations.

8. ejanuska

ejanuska Member

Go to the open food markets, I think they call them food circus or something.
    They're all over. You can play guitar when you come back.
    Eat!

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

ejanuska. The Hawker food in the markets is fantastic and yes, I plan to do more than play guitar while I'm there. Was thinking for a small investment I could play for 30 minutes a day and entertain myself a bit.

10. Dasein

Dasein Member

Really? Weird -- I bought a guitar in Singapore in 1993 at a massive Tom Lee Music location... sorry if my recommendation was too dated but I expected them to still be there and they had huge inventory and an active rental program. - I see they are still active in HK...

Swee Lee looks like the closest equivalent: http://www.sweelee.com.sg/

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Looks like a solid recommendation. I can't find any rental info on their website but contacted them to see if I can do a deal. Thanks for this Dasein!

12. gkinsingapore

gkinsingapore Member

Lived out there for 10 years. Try these guys, you wont get any joy from Swee Lee:

http://www.ebenex.com/

They do backline rental and buy/sell good quality instruments. Maybe you can do a deal where you buy an axe up front and sell it back to them at the end of your time there?

Also ask around the stores in the basement of the Excelsior Hotel.

Good luck!

13. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

^^^ Yeah, theres that basement centre that has something like 14 guitar shops all in the one complex.

Ask around there, but be prepared for a HUGE difference in service. I spent two days there once with my son, looking for a guitar for him, and the service ranged from exceptional right down to outright rude depending on the store and salesperson... :)

14. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

hmmm...can't agree. On those hugely crowded flights your guitar's going to get bumped. There are several stores near chinatown that'll rent you a guitar cheap. Or you can do what I did. I just bought a used acoustic for $200 and then when I left, I gave it to one of my workmates there. I figured $200 was nothing relative to flights and hotels.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Follow up. Thanks for all the suggestions. Haven't been back here for a few weeks as I was travelling and setting up here in Singapore. Haven't found anyone willing to rent. One guy offered to sell me a used beat up Indo made strat copy for about $125 which was probably a fair price and not much compared to rent etc. here. Still, I didn't want the hassle of getting rid of it and it was not staying in tune at all while playing so I just left. In order to scratch the guitar itch I've been going to open jam night at a cool local bar called Actors which lets people walk up and play out of the audience. I've met lots of other guitar players there and played with some skilled drummers and bass players. Overall I'm satisfied with this as an outlet. No practice but still working on live chops so all good.