Singers: what effects do you use live?

James_E

Gold Supporting Member
I use a TC electronic mic mechanic but I leave the correction at 0, and sometimes use reverb at the Room or club setting at around 9:00 on the dial. I leave the "tone" thing turned on for the EQ, compression etc. I've fiddled with the correction but it drives me NUTS.

I've seen a local guy here with his acoustic solo stuff or his 3 piece pop act using one of the monster TC Voice things (Voice live 3) and he stomps on it quite a bit.. so I think he uses it for harmonies etc.

Looking to hear from other singers what you use live. Do you use any reverb or delay? Chorus? Any correction? Any other effects to make yourself sound more like some of the original recordings (if you do covers.)

When I listen to isolated vocal tracks on youtube, you can hear effects for sure.

Examples:

loudboy

All those examples were added post-recording, during mixdown.

For live, a little reverb, maybe some timed delays here and there is about it.

Whatever's appropriate for the song.

James_E

Gold Supporting Member
Ok so reverb and delay mainly.. makes sense.

I was just practicing on the weekend and noting how some of the vocal tracks are so processed on the albums. Trying to sing like those great singers is hard enough... never mind trying to sound like them PLUS studio trickery/enhancements.

MrHarryReems

I use a VoiceLive 3. I have one preset that I made that I use for everything. It just adds a touch of reverb. I have the hit button set to high harmony and doubling at a pretty low volume to thicken up the occasional chorus. The VL3 is overkill for my needs, but has a couple of key features that I needed: MIDI syncing looper, line out for the guitar (the PlayAcoustic that it replaced only had XLR out), bypass switches for each effect group, and enough guitar FX that I can use it as a standalone and not haul my monster pedal board when I play off-island gigs. The built in HOF reverb might not be as nice as my Big Sky, but seriously, who besides me will notice?

Little bit of reverb and delay from the board.

I thought about one of the vocal boards, but I'm challenged enough trying to use my guitar effects, channel switching etc. I would not be able to manage a vocal board on top of that. Would likely run out of real estate as well.

Pablomago

Reverb and sometimes a little delay. Flanging or chorus can be cool on background singers but only as a special effect.

Ferret

Silver Supporting Member
Just reverb. I'd use EQ if I thought it was needed in the room and I had control over it. I'd be happy to use a strange effect if I thought it enhanced a song but nothing we do calls for it.

Stefenator

Very surprised to see so many responses mentioning reverb...

I use a Vocalist Live Pro and I will use delay and compression, but never any reverb. There is normally enough natural reverb in most venues to never need any added. In fact, other than some reverb on the snare, there isn't any reverb anywhere in the band mix! Obviously, to each his own, but reverb (to me anyway) seems to cause more problems than it solves. The VLP handles harmonies really well and it's simple to use.

NamaEnsou

Silver Supporting Member
The only thing I'm picky about is my mic and and keep two choices in my guitar case so I can swap to my other favorite if I need to. I really like the sound of the human voice and while I enjoy having effects I think it's very effective to sing dry.

Cb

On a basic powered mixer in a small room a bit of reverb and EQ if necessary, in a bigger room EQ but no reverb.

Using a digital mixer I like EQ, light compression, and some reverb in small rooms.

I've also got a TC Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX that I have a love/hate relationship with. I don't care for it's "Tone" button at all (choice of 6 very similar presets with heavy-handed Bass cut+Treble boost, light compression, de-esser, light gating). If I run my guitar thru it for "intelligent" harmony sensing it occasionally gets confused, and adds hiss to my busy pedalboard. It can't run off phantom power, and requires it's own 12V powersupply. The mic input gain pot is a thin knurled knob low on the side of the pedal, where it's very prone to being spun up to it's Max if it moves carpet when you engage it. I set my input gain for a mic once and put a piece of clear packing tape over it to prevent movement.

On the other hand, it does decent 1 & 2 part harmonies when needed (I made individual presets for each key I want harmonies for), it does pretty good excessive doubling for a few 80's Steve Miller tunes we cover, and it does a very good "telephone" sound for the middle 2 verses of Suzie Q.

Devnor

Good to hear folks are using VoiceLive 3. I have one on order and it should be here next week. I play original hard rock/metal with a high gain rig. Probably not going to try to run my guitar from the LV into my rig. I imagine it would be very noisy.

Trending Topics