• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Singers who can dance well onstage w/o choreography

Goldburst

(I saw the other posts about best male/female singers, so I thought I'd try this)

What singers - if given only a microphone/mic-stand - can improvise some decent dance moves LIVE onstage, without having to rely on strictly choreographed moves? Male and Female.

The male list is pretty easy:

James Brown
Michael Jackson
Mick Jagger (in his prime)
Steve Tyler
David Lee Roth

Any others?

The female list is kinda tough - I can't think of any.

Madonna never seems to stray from anything choreographed, and Lady Gaga is almost painful to watch when she tries to improvise some moves outside of anything choreographed.

Anyone?

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Jay Kaye (sp?)
Michael Hutchence
George Michael
Sheryl Crow
Fergie
Tina!!!!
Shakira ;)

el nino

scott weiland when he was high as a kite :) i always liked his lizard dance and stage presence

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
Anthony Kiedis. No matter what you think about his singing the man can move. Check out the RHCP Live at Slane Castle DVD.

Goldburst

Uh-oh, this thread may turn into a sausage-fest. :)

Britney Spears?

I remember that she had sung at the Superbowl with Aerosmith years ago, so I looked it up on youtube and found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfOsYwWGiKM
Notice starting at about 1:20 when Britney and Justin Timberlake walk out while singing. Notice how Justin seems to be easier at improvising moves whereas Britney, not quite.

I typed in some of the other female names like Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, Christina Aguilera, & Shakira, and I noticed that their live concerts (actual live gigs, not TV shows or music videos) are heavily choreographed. Whenever there's a moment without dance choreography, they just do simple stuff like walk from side-to-side onstage. Shakira seems to do OK with improvisation, though.

Is there some fundamental cultural difference between men and women going on here regarding choreography vs improvisation?

Joe Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
Peter Garrett of Midnight Oil.

Not dancing per se, and for certain, not choreographed, but quite effective and entertaining.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I stood right on the side of the stage for Ike and Tina in 1971 but I swear I didn't look at any of the dancing.

Top Bottom