Singing sustaining leads..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mcormier, Jun 25, 2006.

1. mcormier

mcormier Guest

something that gives me lots of smooth sustain, id also like it to be able to be grainy at times (think brian may graininess) . Id also like it to clean up nicely. and i want it to be dead quiet.
    Rat perhaps?

Maxim

2. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

The Rat is my favorite pedal, but it's more angry attitude than smooth sustain. For what your are discribing, I can't think of anything smoother than the Zendrive, (my second favorite pedal).

3. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

For this, I use *and enjoy* the Barber Burn Unit. Mine is an early model and is my go-to for that sorta thing when I will not be playing an amp that gets me there on its own. Around here, somebody is ALWAZE requesting a couple Santana toonz at the casuals I play and this is the one I use for that. Its a Boogie-in-a-box, but the dynamics control also allows a seamless transition to teeth and 'tude.

Nice box.

4. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

A Barber Direct Drive can get you there as well. Get one of the newer ones with the Push Pull tone knob for cutting mids and increasing harmonics. Also has internal trim pots for setting just the right Bass, Presence, and Harmonics for your tastes.

Mine makes Fendery amps sound very Marshally.... from smooth to aggressive, depending on settings.

5. erksin

erksin Member

MI Audio Blue Boy...

6. mcormier

mcormier Guest

what about an Eternity? would that work? get a smooth sound then boost the treble booster for grain?

7. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I'll second that! The orginal Burn Unit has been a fav of mine for years for this type tone. The new Small Fry does the same tone and is much more versital with the three way toggle and the internal note shape control. I kept the orginal on my board after getting the Small Fry but if I could only have one it would be the Small Fry. Highly recommended for what you stated.

8. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

9. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

the eternity get's a vote, the zendrive as well. my latest ed. pedalworx cactus crunch is super stuff! it can do it all. donner in another thread said
    it can do a voxy/matchless thing.......... he is right, but it also capture the smooth singing lead tone, great for chord work as well! i am diggin this one! great paint job donneR!

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I was gunna say...the Eternity with it's treble booster tone pot gives you graininess with obscene sustain without it being at all harsh. That would be my best guess :)

11. mcormier

mcormier Guest

yeah, the Eternity seems right.

12. fernandopareta

fernandopareta Member

BB preamp, it`s a magical box

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

I was going to say Eterinity until I got to the "must be dead quiet" part of your post. The E is great (I use it on almost every gig), but it's not the quietest OD I own, especially on higher gain settings.