Singing the praises of old Boss pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nek, Mar 1, 2006.

1. nek

nek Member

I am constantly amazed at how well the old Boss pedals work; DM-2 delay, RV-2 reverb, OC-2 octaver. They seem softer edged, more refined, track better. They interact creating tones beyond what one would expect as the sum of any pedal combination. They are not in the best of shape. Some fool has been stomping on them for years. I am having a very hard time finding replacements. Even the contemporary Boss pedals don't quite sound right. Is anybody (else) seriously considering going into these old pedals and repairing pots, jacks or switches?

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Of course.

IMO the old Boss pedals just sound better than the new ones - thicker and more 'organic' for lack of a better word. They do seem slightly noisier and possibly have more of an effect on the direct tone, but I'm willing to accept that for the better sound.

Luckily you can easily repair them if things like pots, jacks and switches break. The parts are not difficult to get (except maybe for the switches, but I've never seen a single one break, in 20 years as a professional repairer - only ever need cleaning).

All my Boss pedals (except my TU-2 Tuner) are old Made In Japan models. I'm currently using...

OC-2 Octaver
    DF-2 Distortion-Feedbacker
    DM-2 Delay
    PH-1R Phaser
    HF-2 Hi-Band Flanger

I like (and have owned at one time or another) most of the other old ones too, I think only with the exception of the SP-1 Spectrum.

3. erksin

erksin Member

I'd love to have my old VB-2 Vibrato back!

4. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I love my PS-2 it has a very cool delay & you can do some interesting effects with it. I miss my DC-2 & wish I had not sold it....

5. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I just won a MIJ RV-2 on eBay just a few minutes before seeing this thread... It'll be my second MIJ Boss pedal, the first one being a DM-3 that I probably should have kept...

I've been meaning to pick up a DF-2 for a while too... gotta look for one of those!

6. drolling

drolling Member

Yes, my trusty MIJ CS-2 is the "go-to" compressor when it's faux-pedal-steel time down at the ranch. The *improved* version w/unnecessary tone control just don't sound as good.

But the Taiwanese PN-2 does a hellacious hellacopta-chop tremolo, and they ain't makin that one no mo', neither:AOK

7. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I always felt the PH1 PH1r could hang with any phaser except maybe the most high end stuff. And Boss pedals just don't break....ever.....

8. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I have always told myself to never buy Boss pedals. Funny thing is, I have a few that I can't seem to part with, just yet. My list includes:

OD-1 (MIJ, Silver Screw)
    DS-1 (MIJ, Silver Screw)
    DM-2 (MIJ, of course)
    CS-2 (MIJ)
    PQ-4 (MIT, soon to have the paratrooper mod)
    NS-2 (MIT, handy little unit)
    LS-2 (MIT, very handy unit)
    PSM-5 (MIJ, another handy little unit)

Any suggestions on modding the LS-2 so that it sweetens the decibal boosts, let me know...

9. joseph

joseph Member

What's a good Boss overdrive/distortion pedal for that modded Marshall high gain - but not the scooped mid rectifier insane gain - sound?

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

A modded DS-1 can get you there

11. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey gearheads,

I own and use the following old Boss pedals:

Recently modded:
    Analogman DS-1 distortion Super mod (MIJ)
    Analogman DD-2 digital delay high cut mod (MIJ)

Stock:
    OC-2 octave (Taiwan)
    CE-2 chorus (MIJ) (soon to be sent to Keeley Electronics for Hi-Fi mod)
    RV-2 digital reverb (MIJ)

Recently purchased & modded:
    Keeley BD-2 Phat mod Blues Driver (Taiwan)
    Analogman SD-1/808/push/pull mod overdrive (Taiwan)

I like the sound, durability, design and small footprint of the Boss pedals. The overdrive or distortion pedals which sounds ok stock, sound way better if they're modded for improved tone and removal of cheap, noisy components. I like both Analogman and Keeley's Boss pedal mods. Where can you get the replacement pots, jacks and switches, if they break?

Guitar George

12. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

No, it's the perfect word.

I love the sound of Slow Gears, so smooth and life-like.

13. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've never liked Boss digital delays, but those old DM-2's and DM-3's are da bomb...

I still own and sometimes use the AW-2 and BF-2, and find them FAR superior to the AW-3 and BF-3, respectively. And the old CE-2...killer

14. JPenn

JPenn Member

3 of the 7 pedals on my board are Boss. I only have newer ones though. I recently pulled out my old Series 10 Chorus pedal and hooked it up. It's in the same plastic box with the plastic pots & jacks just like the Arions, but it doesn't have the slider switch above the pots. It's a MIJ pedal that just smokes. I keep checking eBay, but I haven't seen anymore around.

15. cubba65

cubba65 Member

I've hung onto my favorite Boss pedals:
    PH-1r SG-1 DM-2 RV-2 HF-2 DC-2 CE-2 OD-1 OD-2 DF-2 PN-2
    and sold the others that didn't make the cut.
    If I use them on my board, I tend to place them in a TBP strip near the end of my board (where the modulations & delays go) to keep the signal untouched, tho' I have to say you never know with buffered pedals, if in some way you're going to enjoy the difference even more! But ususally they are TBP'd and followed by a TC electronics buffer.

Lots of great comments here about the vintage units that I can only agree to: "organic," "softer," "durable," etc. You can get lots of classic tones out of them and they take-up so little space. For someone who likes a lot of pedz on a not so huge board, they're key!

Go thru a few and get the ones that have the right mojo. Almost always the MIJ units to my ears.

16. svanangen

svanangen Member

DM-2 - gets the most usage out of all my pedals.

VB-2 - love to pull this one out every once in a while.

TW-1 - used to own an AW-2 a long time ago but the TW is so much sweeter.

17. jops

jops Member

Hi,

WCould you please tell me what the paratrooper mod for the PQ-4 is all about?

Thanks,
    Jon

18. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Not sure if it's 'old' but in addition to my PS-2, I really like the SD-2 dual overdrive...

19. Jungleman

Jungleman Member

Hmm... there indeed are some old Bosses that do things no other pedals do. My all-time favourite Boss is the old CS-1 Compression Sustainer. Totally over-the-top squish, painfully piercing attack in bright mode, slow release. Never heard another pedal capable of such sounds.

PH-1r is a fat and aggressive phaser, very nice. And I still regret selling the DM-2 years ago, in desperate need of some currency. VB-2, TW-1 and DF-2 are quite nice (and cheesy), too.

20. svanangen

svanangen Member

+1

I have one of these on my small backupboard. Nice to get a usable rhythmcrunch and leadtone out of one pedal.