• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Singing What You Play Question?

I'm just starting to get into singing a line and then trying to play it on my guitar. I can't sing to pitch yet, or I should say, I don't know how too.

What's the best way to learn it and then do it?

Also, how do you overcome doing it in front of other people?

clothwiring

You can sometimes hear people singing their lines while they play. Watch Gambale at times...he does it. I do it from time to time. There's a jazz disk I've been listening to quite a bit and those lines come through good and clear for the guy guiding himself. I think it's great! :)

gennation

The best thing to do is to just start doing it. It'll rub off on you the same way rudimentary hammer-ons and pull-offs rubbed off on you.

Most the of the time I catch myself using it three ways.

1. Trying to play to what I might be singing
2. Trying to sing to what I'm playing (this can be tricky when you let the fingers do the walking)
3. Running a part over and over in my head to come up with melodies or solo bits without the guitar in my hand, then learning it on guitar in the correct pitch or Key.

stevel

I'm just starting to get into singing a line and then trying to play it on my guitar. I can't sing to pitch yet, or I should say, I don't know how too.

What's the best way to learn it and then do it?

Also, how do you overcome doing it in front of other people?

Maybe you should start the opposite way?

Play the line, then sing it, matching pitch.

That will help you get used to producing those pitches, and then once you're comfortable with that, you can go back the other way - sing first, then play.

But I'll also say, if you "sing a line to yourself" - in your head - you can "think" the pitches even though you can't vocalize them perfectly yet - you can still use that as a springboard for guitar lines if that's what you're going for.

Steve

Trending Topics