singing - why so much attention?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Killed_by_Death, Mar 28, 2019.

1. stickyFingerz

stickyFingerz Supporting Member

They didn't have opera in ancient times, singing is still a novelty.

2. Digidog

Digidog Member

One thing that makes singing more prominent in mainstream media, is that it's easier for producers to earn money on singers. By that I mean that it's easier for production managements to have one vocalist star that easily could be handed any music needed for the moment, and subsequently backed up by any anonymous band whenever suitable, than one instrumentalist that most often will be specialized in his/her field of music. In short: singing is much more generic than instruments, and therefore much easier to adapt to a market.

3. Ogre

Ogre Member

Singers have always been more important than guitar players. In the old-school recording biz, the lead vocalist input was termed "the money channel". Even more so now.

shane8 likes this.
  4. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

Because instrumental music is boring.

Edit: I should clarify that this opinion is limited to rock music. I didn't consider jazz or classical in this context because I automatically assume if a song has anything beyond E-A-B7 that most people on TGP have never heard it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    shane8 and 0018g like this.
  5. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I'm not a fan of any of those shows.

Sure I watched some here and there but enough already. Between idol and the Voice they have like a combined 25 years of airplay. The Voice actually gets 2 seasons a year. Throw in the bachelor for 23 seasons and the bachelorette for another 14 seasons and dancing with the stars (I find ridiculous) for another 15 years.

Not too hard to figure out why I quit watching tv.

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I wish American Ai-Dull was just Katy Perry, I'd still watch!

7. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Cocteau Twins made a career out of melodies that were incredible without any discernible lyrics. Only towards the end of their band did Liz Fraser's lyrics become more understandable. Somewhat.

But I'd never expect the average person to appreciate their music.
    Maybe TGP.

A-Bone likes this.
  8. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Because vocal music is boring.

9. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

I watched this metal shred guitar competition series last year and would love to see more of this kind of thing in any guitar playing genre.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  10. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Watch one of these shows in a language you do not understand.

This is what it is like when non-players listen to musicians.

They might like it. They might even wiggle and dance to it.

But they can’t hum it in the car.

/

rhinocaster likes this.
  11. 0018g

0018g Member

No vocals, no thanks.,,and somebody better sing some harmony.

I can listen to an instrumental from time to time, but don't play two in a row.

shane8 likes this.
  12. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Exactly, there will always be the outliers and the few that cash in on a small market, but that isn’t the norm.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  13. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

I enjoy singing and listening to singing. I even get paid to sing, oddly enough. I grew up listening to the Beatles, Elvis, the Everly Bros., Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin, Roy Orbison, Buck Owens, Temptations, Spinners, Patsy Cline, Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye, Staples, Andrews Sisters, Johnny Cash, Curtis Mayfield, Petula Clark, Peter and Gordon, Kitty Wells.

I must say though that instrumental music is dearer to my heart than is vocal music, generally, or at least that of the traditional enunciated lyric variety. I'm a sucker for a chorale. Any emotion, any adjective, any descriptor - for myself, there are always instrumental pieces which more accurately and succinctly convey such in a visceral way than do typical vocal/lyrical treatments.

tender

14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

There was a young guy on AGT last night playing guitar, but not electric.
    It was an acoustic, but there were parts that sounded very rock & roll.

15. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Supporting Member

Lots of good answers so far. Just to add to it: surveys often find that if people had one thing they wish they could do, singing is the top of the list. It's something a large number of people wish they could do and are drawn to watching.

Oriondk likes this.
  16. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

That's why I learned to sing and play guitar! :)

shane8 likes this.
  17. mikebat

mikebat Member

I think it is simple why there are singing competitions and not instrument competitions on TV. People focus on what they can understand, words.

So...that is what they gravitate towards.

I would love a battle of the bands type thing but....in the end....people barely have the attention to focus on any one thing for more then 15 seconds between looking at their phones to see if they have an social media notifications.

Larry Eh? likes this.
  18. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Maybe there's room for a show that features instruments, though on mainstream TV it wouldn't be limited to guitar, or rock or popular music either.

How many all instrumental bands are there? We all know of a few, not counting classical music orchestras. But most bands have to have a singer in front. Just the way it is, people need songs with lyrics to keep them entertained for long.

Just look at surf music. Lots of really good surf bands. Some made it fairly big, like the Ventures and Dick Dale. Which one became a household name? The Beach Boys.

19. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

If I could sing my musical adventures would have certainly taken me on a different path....

20. Larry Eh?

Larry Eh? Member

I think a lot of people are at least partially tone deaf and might not be able to totally appreciate the music. But everyone can understand lyrics if they're in their language. :dunno