singing - why so much attention?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Killed_by_Death, Mar 28, 2019.

1. TheMindful

TheMindful Member

How do you know this? Singing has been around since before recorded history. Homer's Iliad was originally a long poem in song form, and that dates back to circa 400 BC? The plays in ancient Greek times were narrated in song by a Chorus. Singing is likely among the very first form of human made music, alongside smacking rocks together.

shane8 and WordMan like this.
  2. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

I remember going to see Jeff Beck at 4th & B in San Diego some years ago and it was so funny to see the line outside the building was 98% guys. I was one of the very few guys there with a woman. And this was for the legendary Jeff Beck. Unfortunately, instrumental guitar playing has a very limited and almost all male following.

3. Madsen

Madsen Member

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Non-Musicians tend to think the vocalist is all the talent in the band & it's logic-defying!

Just recently I was having a conversation about Joe Perry's book & how Tyler just does WTF he likes & never consults with the band.
    Well, the other person's response kind of sharpened my take on how perceptive they are about music, but the idea was that Tyler could do whatever TF he wants, because "He's all the talent in the band!".

My first example to the contrary was how Joe did alright as a solo act, but Tyler hasn't.
    It was kind of like when Mick decided to go solo from the Stones.

5. WordMan

WordMan Member

To be clear: that’s the point. Ask yourself: what way to make music can a non-musician most identify with? Or is the most likely they think they can pull off? That’s why.

6. kkregsg

kkregsg Member

Why singers? Two words: breath control. Man or woman, think about that for a few seconds.

OK, probably not the reason, but it COULD be.

7. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

It’s all about your focus.

Could you listen to an hour of different harmonica players every week?
    How about bongo players, flute players, or drummers?

We are guitarist so we like guitar. If you’re a banjo player you like the banjo, but that doesn’t mean everyone else would.

Most people focus on the vocalist. Even the camera usually focuses on the singer. Why? Because the band is backing the singer up. When it’s time to solo, the camera will focus on the guitar.

shane8 and A-Bone like this.
  8. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Even banjo players don't like the banjo. I knew it!

shane8 likes this.
  9. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I seem to vaguely remember a short lived guitar competition show about 20 yrs ago.

10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

That's really not wrong...people are either born with a great voice or they're not...sure, anyone can improve their voices with lessons, but that only goes so far...

11. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

When it comes to
    Wow! That was really boring.

12. mobius

mobius Member

If you have to ask, you need to get out more :D

shane8 likes this.
  13. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I’ve been trying to think of instrumental only music that I’ve heard on popular radio during my life. I’m excluding classical and jazz for obvious reasons. Other than some surf music in the early 60s, the only ones I can think of are “Ghost Riders in the Sky”, “Classical Gas”, and “Cliffs of Dover”. Oh yeah, “Dueling Banjos” and Scott Joplin’s “ The Entertainer”. The last two were made popular by movies.
    I really don’t know why more instrumentals haven’t made it into the mainstream. I’ve loved instrumental music as far back as I can remember, so it’s a real mystery to me as to why it’s not more popular.
    It seems there were times in the past where instrumental music was more popular. Ragtime was popular at one time and John Phillip Sousa made marches popular in the past, too. Then there were the big bands that did a lot of instrumentals.
    So what’s up today?

Tim Bowen likes this.
  14. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys
    Breezin by George Benson
    Space Invaders by Pretenders
    Theme from Peter Gunn by Duane Eddy
    Wipe Out - The Surfaris
    Peaches and Diesel - Clapton
    The Hustle - Van McCoy
    Hot Lanta - The Allman Brothers
    Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
    Samba Pa Ti - Santana
    A Taste of Honey - Herb Alpert
    Green Onions - Booker T
    The Pink Panther - Henry Mancini
    Walk Don’t Run - The Ventures
    The Star Spangled Banner- Hendrix
    Frankenstein - Edgar Winter
    Hocus Pocus - Focus
    Pick Up the Pieces - Average White Band
    Love’s Theme - Love Unlimited Orchestra

That’s off the top of my head. Nothing compared to the hits with vocals, though. And it seems that there are fewer and fewer over time.

15. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

Well, there’s really only a few on that list that I’ve actually heard on the radio. much.

16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

The ONLY one I've heard on the radio in as far as I can remember is Frankenstein.
    Hocus Pocus is one I've seen commented about, but not the radio.

[​IMG]

abby_normal likes this.
  17. Dasein

Dasein Member

18. Dasein

Dasein Member

Basically because melody is the singular most identifiable element of music.... who delivers melody? usually singers. What do I win?

19. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I think the answer to this is obvious, but probably so obvious few notice it.

The reality is, even those who are tone deaf can enjoy singers, because singers are singing words. Telling stories. Expressing verbal emotions.

Think about this: classical music has never really ben in the mainstream, and elevator music was considered a self parody.
    I think the reason that classical music doesn't nearly have the following of other styles is that it only appeals to those whose brains are wired in such a way that music actually moves them. Music by itself, without lyrics or even strict melody lines.
    Classical music is mostly instrumental and has no beat.
    But even those who are tone deaf, as I say, can appreciate words to songs as well as like the beat. You don't need to be able to hear melodies or to appreciate them to like a good beat. Those who are tone deaf can dance, as long as there is a beat.

So, vocal music would logically appeal to a much wider audience than instrumental music, because most people who like instrumental music also like lyrical music. So vocal music appeals to those who have an ear for music, and to those who do not.

And of course, television is about one thing, and one thing alone. Ratings that boost the value of commercial time. So TV tends to cast the widest net it can.

20. NotTheArrow

NotTheArrow Member

I'm a musician that plays guitar and the last type of instrumental music I want to hear is rock guitar instrumentals.

When I listen to non vocal music it's classical.

Oriondk likes this.