1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

singing - why so much attention?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Killed_by_Death, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Capador

Capador Member

People are also obsessed with those that won the cosmic lottery....for whatever reason. Incredible singing ability is the closest you can come to "super powers" if you will. It is also more relatable and interactive than instrumental playing.

That being said, Joe Robinson won Australia's got talent by playing guitar.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

As opposed to not having anything like that at all? Nobody said it was a great show, but it's there...
    Your comment makes no sense. It's like a hungry person being given a free meal, only then to complain about the way it tastes...

3. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I’m not hungry for shred. I’m pretty much bored with it except on rare occasions.

4. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

But think of the bigger picture not just as consumer.
    It was a guitar web series competition show... that was actually made. It's there....and that's a good thing for the guitar in general.

5. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

Ok

6. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

...and with that...Shredders of Metal Season 2 just started on Aug. 12th!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. shane8

shane8 Member

guitar players are side men*

singers will always be the focus

*pc version = side peeps

8. thecornman

thecornman Member

There are tons of hit songs without any guitar in them! Not so many without singing in it. Guitar is just not that big of a deal for the average listener. It is just one of many support instruments.

9. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

I heard many of the above tracks on AM radio back in the day. In my opinion, in many ways AM radio at its best was so much cooler than FM radio at its best. More variety within the mainstream, and a far more interesting variety.

My theory on why more people don't dig intstrumental music is that most people don't really dig music. They say they do, of course. I often hear people say they don't like sports, don't like movies even, never music. Nobody says they don't like music. They like parts of music, the idea of music, the periphery of music. In real life, I loathe being drawn into "conversations about music" (I never initiate) because invariably we will be talking about the periphery of music, never about how music sounds (I'm not talking about analysis). In and of itself, instrumental music doesn't have any social or political* considerations, no controversial subject matter, and it's not part of a multi-media package. It's just music. There's nothing for the music to hide behind or be masked by or to represent, other than the way it sounds. And that's not enough for most people. It's more than plenty for me. The music tells me the story, along with the imagery that my mind supplies, as inspired by the sound of the music. I remember when MTV hit the scene, thinking, wow, they got lyrics and it's still not enough, gotta have something to look at too.

* Unless we're talking Prokofiev and Shostakovich and that era of Stalin and political shifts within the Soviet Union.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Oriondk likes this.
  10. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I forgot about Herb Alpert. Al Hirt was popular for awhile, too.

Tim Bowen likes this.
  11. jackson

jackson Member

Easy. Almost everybody can sing, or make vocal sounds, so singing is something that everyone can relate to.

12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Tonight there's a special on The CW with Gibbons, Nancy Wilson, etc:

America Salutes You Presents Guitar Legends

https://cwseattle.cbslocal.com/2019/11/26/the-cw-network-set-to-air-annual-benefit-concert-america-salutes-you-presents-guitar-legends-3-on-friday-december-27-2019

"Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) hosts the benefit concert and is joined by guitar legends including George Thorogood (George Thorogood & The Destroyers), Grammy Award-winner Warren Haynes (Allman Brothers, Gov’t Mule), Nancy Wilson (Rock & Roll Hall of Famer and co-founding member of Heart), Steve Lukather (co-founding member of Toto), Charlie Starr (Blackberry Smoke) and Ellis Hall (Tower of Power Lead Vocalist). World renowned drummer Kenny Aronoff leads an All-Star band."

13. gigs

gigs Member

Everyone can sing, most of them not very well. Not everyone plays guitar.

14. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Singing is relatable to the average person the way ANY instrument is not.

Everyone thinks they can sing.....playing an instrument looks impossible to the average person. They simply cannot relate.

15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

It's a great big fat deal in Thailand as well, they have vocal shows & they even give real vocals advice after performances.
    Having a good voice is tantamount to not having smelly poop in the Land of Smiles, everyone thinks it's so great, except perhaps me, LOL!

I had to stop drinking with this one dude, because every time he got a little tipsy he'd break into song at the drop of a hat.
    Not rock & roll, but old-timey Thai love-songs, Egad!

16. Celticdave

Celticdave Seeker Gold Supporting Member

I've spent the majority of my life playing guitar. I started very young and aside from a few short periods of training while in the military, always had one in my hands working towards being better. I've sat in with many bands, been a paid session player, and so on.

However, when I got "signed" the first time they sat me down and had a heart to heart with me - they didn't sign me for my guitar playing. They signed me for my voice and songwriting. As they put it, there are thousands of great guitar players. Truth is, especially from a technical point of view, they were right. Just go take a look at YouTube. There are teens ripping though Malmsteen licks.

On another note (pun intended), I'm frustrated when a sound guy makes Van Morrison's guitar inaudible in a mix. John Lee Hooker wasn't technical but I can't get enough of his playing. B.B. King couldn't play sweeping arpeggios, but I can listen to him over and over and over. Can't say the same for the guitar techies out there.

I think it's about connecting to the soul. Some singers are precise and hit every note on the page, but I can't get through 15 seconds of it. I guess the same goes for guitarists. I always respect the time and discipline it takes to be that technically precise, but it still doesn't mean it squeezes my heart like hearing Etta James.

Oriondk likes this.
  17. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

There was a blind gal on American Idol this year that sang with so much feeling that Lionel Richie cried & went out to hug her.
    I've never seen a guitar performance (or any other instrument) do that to anyone.

I mean, hairs on my arm will stand up to certain bass intros, but I don't want to break down & cry.

Celticdave likes this.
  18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Everyone has a voice, and everyone sings in the shower or the car or whatnot.

Not everyone puts in the time to be a great guitarist. Featuring singers gets you a wider wannabee audience, on TV.

19. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Because singing is more of a natural talent I would say. I would rather be able to sing like Chris Cornell than play like Steve Vai. It is hard to say that because I love great guitar playing but more people are interested in good pipes than guitar playing.

20. 808

808 Member

As much as I like Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, Steven Tyler really is the talent in that band.

Cb likes this.