singing - why so much attention?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Killed_by_Death, Mar 28, 2019.

1. sinner

sinner Member

Didn't someone once say "it's the singer, not the song"?
    I think you still got to have a song (to sing) for the greatest vocal art, but on the other hand, if you got a really gifted singer you can turn something mediocre into a great song.

2. Capador

Capador Member

People are also obsessed with those that won the cosmic lottery....for whatever reason. Incredible singing ability is the closest you can come to "super powers" if you will. It is also more relatable and interactive than instrumental playing.

That being said, Joe Robinson won Australia's got talent by playing guitar.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

As opposed to not having anything like that at all? Nobody said it was a great show, but it's there...
    Your comment makes no sense. It's like a hungry person being given a free meal, only then to complain about the way it tastes...

4. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I’m not hungry for shred. I’m pretty much bored with it except on rare occasions.

5. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

But think of the bigger picture not just as consumer.
    It was a guitar web series competition show... that was actually made. It's there....and that's a good thing for the guitar in general.

6. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

Ok

7. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

...and with that...Shredders of Metal Season 2 just started on Aug. 12th!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. shane8

shane8 Member

guitar players are side men*

singers will always be the focus

*pc version = side peeps

9. thecornman

thecornman Member

There are tons of hit songs without any guitar in them! Not so many without singing in it. Guitar is just not that big of a deal for the average listener. It is just one of many support instruments.

10. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

I heard many of the above tracks on AM radio back in the day. In my opinion, in many ways AM radio at its best was so much cooler than FM radio at its best. More variety within the mainstream, and a far more interesting variety.

My theory on why more people don't dig intstrumental music is that most people don't really dig music. They say they do, of course. I often hear people say they don't like sports, don't like movies even, never music. Nobody says they don't like music. They like parts of music, the idea of music, the periphery of music. In real life, I loathe being drawn into "conversations about music" (I never initiate) because invariably we will be talking about the periphery of music, never about how music sounds (I'm not talking about analysis). In and of itself, instrumental music doesn't have any social or political* considerations, no controversial subject matter, and it's not part of a multi-media package. It's just music. There's nothing for the music to hide behind or be masked by or to represent, other than the way it sounds. And that's not enough for most people. It's more than plenty for me. The music tells me the story, along with the imagery that my mind supplies, as inspired by the sound of the music. I remember when MTV hit the scene, thinking, wow, they got lyrics and it's still not enough, gotta have something to look at too.

* Unless we're talking Prokofiev and Shostakovich and that era of Stalin and political shifts within the Soviet Union.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 10:49 AM
    Oriondk likes this.
  11. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I forgot about Herb Alpert. Al Hirt was popular for awhile, too.

Tim Bowen likes this.
  12. jackson

jackson Supporting Member

Easy. Almost everybody can sing, or make vocal sounds, so singing is something that everyone can relate to.