Single channel amp users - how do you set yours up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mcgraham, Jan 24, 2012.

1. mcgraham

mcgraham Member

... and how does that fit into your rig when gigging?

Many of us use single channel amps when gigging, but it'd be interesting to hear how you guys set yours up and how that integrates into your rig to form your sound.

As for me, my guitar is an Ibanez JS1200 strung with 10s, basically stock. I use it for both rhythm and lead work in the same groups (usually band leader).

My general approach is to set the amp (18W EL84) so it's on the edge of breakup with my guitar in humbucker mode (neck and bridge humbuckers in my guitar), but then holds together with no discernible breakup when my guitar is set to single coil mode middle position. That way I can move between clean and light crunch just with volume controls and/or pickup selection/switching.

Into the front of the amp I then run: Octafuzz > Sunlion > Polytune (to mute/tune) > DD6

-The Beano boost side of the Sunlion is set fairly low in 'mid' mode to about 11 o'clock and can take the amp from that light crunch into a more saturated crunch territory.
    -The Sunface side of the Sunlion gives me an EJ type lead sound.
    -The Octafuzz gets me an alternate lead sound, but doesn't always make an appearance.
    -DD6 is set to U2 dotted eighth timing but the other settings like level and number of repeats is more like a slapback type setting.

That said, I do like setting my amp in different ways depending on what I want for a given gig or approach. For example, I really love the spank of my amp (18W EL84) set super clean, which can then take dirts and fuzzes nicely if I want dirty sounds. I also love the sound of my amp basically dimed (power and pre stages maxxed out [with power scaling]) and using the guitar's volume control to set drive and having just the guitar + cord + amp.

So, how do you set yours?

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

im quite similar, amps set to just before breakup, drive comes from pedals, drive or clean boosts.

3. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Been using my #2 rig lately: Strat into a Marshall JCM 800 4104 with everything on 5 except master (usually on 1). So there's always some grit on my sound. I can back off on the guitar volume if needed but this doesn't happen too often.

Effects: no loop everything into the front of the amp. All done with a Line 6 M13. Columns go like:

1) univibe, chorus, trem
    2) slight lead boost (TS), heavy lead boost, treble boost
    3) wah, q-tron, compressor
    4) noise gate; slap echo, long echo

This handles 60s-today covers no problem. Crowds focus more on energy than tone. This rig has a nice edgy sound that brings the heat.

4. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

I set mine as clean as possible. Drive comes from pedals. GB Black Pearl 30.

5. marsos52

marsos52 Member

i used single channel only, in just about every playing situation i am in I cant get the to the amp point of break-up. i set them clean and actually the volumes are set a bit lower than I am going to play. I use my klon to boost the volume and give me just a little breakup thats actually sounds clean in the mix. and when i want the break up heard I switch the klon to my timmy

6. Dashface

Dashface Member

All of my amps are single channel. In my tribute act gig I use a pair of Hiwatts and a Yamaha RA200, all high-headroom and designed for loud and clean. I use pedals to get the desired distortion.

In smaller gigs I use a Deluxe Reverb clone or my WEM Dominator combo; both, again, used essentially warm and clean. I don't care much for amp drive nor do I care for multi-channel amps.

7. freaksho

freaksho Member

i used a 2204 for a few years and tweaked it between songs for the gain level i needed. i know it sounds like a pain but it really wasn't that bad at all - i knew exactly the preamp setting i needed (had 3 main knob spots: clean, mild od, big crunch) so i just had to tweak the master for the right level.

eventually i sold it and now use Bogner so i can have quicker access to clean and dirty. but after using this for the last few years i find i'm still tweaking gain and volume knobs all the time for different gain tones on each song. so the only advantage is quick access to fully clean and i'm not sure that's really worth the complication of a 2 channel amp - and i'm kinda missing the purity of a single channel. well, maybe the separate eq for the clean channel is valuable. i dunno. still kinda undecided obviously.

anyway to answer your question: i tweak amp knobs throughout the set because i prefer tube drive and i don't like the sound & feel of rolled back volume knobs.

8. bradinnm

bradinnm Member

I generally use a SFDR that has been tweaked by Bruce at Mission Amps to run 6L6s with a Weber Copper Cap. The amp runs clean (and loud when necessary) with a little reverb depending on the room. Pedal board layout is generally as follows:

KORG PB Tuner - Wilson Deluxe Vibe - Lunar Module - Jetter Purple - Tech 21 Boost DLA

My clean sounds are all Fender, I use the Jetter Purple for "Marshally" overdrive (set pretty light actually and it cleans up great with guitar volume for slightly dirty sounds)) this is a great pedal for BF/SF Fender amps. The Lunar Module is set for higher gain lead sounds. The Wilson Vibe sounds great with either drive pedal.

9. EGO_MACHINE

EGO_MACHINE Member

I play tele's and strats.

Guitar- Octafuzz- Wah- Exotic BB- Malekko 600B delay(buffer on)- Korg Rack Tuner- 1966 Pro Reverb or 1966 Deluxe.

I push my amps to Chime/break up... just to where the amps start to compress and then I back off my guitar volume a bit. I will at time open my guitar volume wide, but for rhythm ect my volume is backed off.

Huge tone.

10. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Full band: Lightning 15 clone
    Duo/trio: tweed champ clone

Set to slight OD (5-5 1/2), work the V/T & pickup selection for variety, hit with a TS808 for slight OD, Barber DD for more growl, or both.

This setup gives me a plenty of useful options & sounds that make me smile. Good quality electronics in your guitar is a critical aspect of making this setup work. Your V & T controls should give you more tonal options when you adjust them, rather than just muddying/dulling your sound.

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

amp set to edge of breakup, pedals for the rest

12. mcgraham

mcgraham Member

Cool guys, keep em coming! It'd be nice to have details about how you set yours and why, e.g. on the clean side of edge of breakup so boosts have some volume and gain increase, or - a bit further than edge of breakup for more volume knob control and/or saturation from pedals, more/less treble, more/less power/pre gain, etc.

What I really like about simple 1 channel amps (cos there are some really complicated single channel amps out there) is how much they bring out the character of your guitar and how you can really hear your mistakes, thus it forces you to know how to play your guitar, rather than perhaps hiding behind certain attributes of the amp itself.

There's a cool vid of Guthrie at the South East Guitar and Amp Show (SEGAS - I think?) talking through his philosophy and approach... which we've likely all heard at one point or another and it certainly inspired me to explore and understand this path better... but I think that this particular demo stands out above the others at the very least because of how well that Suhr Badger mates with what he's describing.

13. scott

scott Member

Just a guitar into the amp...i run the master as high as I can get away with and use my volume knob for clean......ish.
    I usuall run an 18 watt wide open or a 70s style 50 watt with the master around 2 o'clock with the bass volume around 9 o'clock and the treble around 3 o'clock. Everything else at noon give or take.

14. woof*

woof* Member

Usually..
    Two Fender's in tandem, Super and a Pro. Both set 5-6 with the Pro a point ahead.
    Guitar to TS9 to always on Klon. Effects in and out: Fuzzface/ SnowWhite/ vintage Smallclone/ vibe/ Sireko tape delay to Roger Mayer splitter ground lift...to amps.