Single Channel Amps in Cover Bands - Who's using them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mkl13, May 7, 2008.

1. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

So who is using single channel amps in cover bands? If so, what type of amp, what type of music, and what pedals are you using to get the variety of sounds required. I am especially interested in people covering a wide variety of music (hard rock to county or reggae) and what your set up is? How many dirt pedals, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

2. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Carr Rambler or a DRRI with a Red Snapper. Nice cleans, both amps have extra nice reverbs. I put a 12au7 in the reverb of the DRRI and the reverb is much more in control. The RS brings in an almost clean boost, light grit or a heavy overdrive. Rock covers, country twang and reggae dirty are all there with my single coil guitars

3. mkl13

I am not familiar with the red snapper pedal, does it have multiple channels, or are you changing settings between songs? If you are changing settings between songs, is it difficult to keep the levels the same when making big changes in the amount of gain?

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

There was a great thread on this a year or so ago but the search won't bring it up.

Anyway, I played in a rock cover band using an Allen Old Flame and it worked great. I set the amp mildly overdriven and could roll my Les Paul's volume back for clean. In addition to the amp's tone, I used a couple of dirt boxes on the floor--either an Eternity or Carb for milder drive and a Tubezone or Crunchbox for the over the top heavy stuff. This setup covered a lot of ground and could've been even more versatile if I used a Strat along with the LP. We did Mellencamp, Wilson Pickett, Gerogia Satellites, Eddie Money, Kings of Leon, Matchbox 20, Lit, Weezer, Velvet Revolver, etc. If it were just a classic '60s/'70s band it would be really easy to pull it all off with a single channel amp.

The idea is to get in the ballpark and make it your own.

5. mkl13

Thanks for the info Phil. That sounds real similar to the range of sounds I am looking to cover. Anyone else?

6. monkjunior

monkjunior Member

7. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I'm using 1x12 20 to 40 watt single channel combos. Jetter Red, AC Booster, TBIAC are the ODs. The TBIAC has a clean boost which I really like. Several fuzz that I switch out. Only one is on the board at any time. Some delay, several modulatin pedals. I can cover a lot of ground with that.

8. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Red Snapper has four knobs volume, gain, cut, bite. Gain can go from transparent almost to heavy OD. It's on the upper right and I can adjust on the fly, midsong with my foot. The cut and bite are treble controls and can be redundant. I leave them around noon. The volume is set as needed. It's upper left. I don't adjust it midsong, maybe sometimes between songs if I raise/lower the gain knob.
    Sound clips on the Menatone website are real good to judge these pedals by I think.

9. Phil M

Phil M Member

These days, I generally use a two-channel Splawn w/two footswitchable gain levels and a solo boost. BUT, I recently aquired a Reinhardt JKC33 1x12 combo and a Menatone TBIAC. If I set the JKC mildly overdriven, I can get a lot of mileage out of the amp, the TBIAC and my Eternity. I need to take that setup to a rehearsal soon.

10. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Back in the day I was playing an Alessandro Redbone Coonhound with a two channel OD/Boost pedal (NVN Bronto boost). Set the amp for cleans, use the dirt channel for rythm, boost it for leads. I played Southern Rock, Classic Rock and blues, so it worked well for me. I rarely needed a clean channel.

11. dave s

dave s Member

Matt:

my rig over the years has consisted of a JCM800 head/cabs/combos; 2-channel amps like Bogner / JCM2000; 4-channel Egnater preamp/power amp, even a POD at one time.

The best tones I've gotten has always been with single-channel amps and pedals. Toss up between the JCM800 amps (gone) and my current VOX rigs.

Typical pedal compliment to provide clean to scream includes:

Fuzz / OD / Dist / Clean Boost. Clean boost works for all three pedals to provide enough db to get me to solo levels when needed.

At this point, I'd probably never go back to multi-channel amps because they usually do one thing exceptionally well, but many times, not more than one thing well.

Long-term strategy has been to get the best clean tone I can squeeze from an amp and use pedals to get the rest. Works for me! ;)

dave

12. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

One of the two bands I play in is a cover band and I have to cover a lot of ground. I have found my Fargen Blackbird works great with a TS style od for lighter-medium gain and a Mo'D for my higher gain stuff. I really like having a cleaner amp for a pedal platform, that way all of my modulation stuff sounds great through it also.

13. funkycam

funkycam Member

I play in a house band in an Oakland soul club & have to play a lot of covers as well as different originals for different artists every week.
    On any given date I can be asked for super clean chords, jazzy round lead tones, dirty rhythms, bluesy leads, gained out feeding back leads, all at volumes that singers are ok with.
    The one problem I have with a single channel amp set dirty is you cannot go from loud clean to quiet dirty.
    I use a sf twin set totally clean & a medium sized pedal board ( 3 dirt pedals, clean boost, wah, delay & phase)

14. guildchild

guildchild Member

i play with this band; http://www.karaokefromhell.com/songlist.php

as you can see from the song list, it's all over the map. patsy cline's crazy to ozzy's crazy train can be back to back.

running a swart ast. remarkably, when we have to do an un-mic'd show, it keeps up over the kit even on the hard stuff where the drummer is going nuts.

drives:
    tim > rhe > ocd v.3 > timmy > rc boost. occasionally, i'll swap in a crunchbox. overkill? yes. but that combo allows for about 8 usable dirt tones depending on how i stack. i get to play around with different combinations all night long....gives me something to think about while playing "hit me with your best shot" for the 3,000th time.

15. nek

nek Member

I prefer a small amplifier with nice sparkly cleans. The versatility comes from quality effects and a swiss army knife guitar like an SSH strat. My biggest challenge is covering a rock song when the venue calls for low volume; fuzz sounds like fizz.

16. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I used to play with a guy who had a Mesa Boogie SOB 60-watt head, which is a one channel amp. I was surprised he was able to pull off some of the tones that he did with basically the amp, an H/S/S configures Strat, a chorus and a delay pedal.

17. djw

djw Member

I've been in a Pretenders tribute band for a while now. I'm mainly using a Mesa Lone Star Classic these days, but for a long time before I got my hands on that I'd been using my JCM800 for everything.

What worked best for me was to apply the clean-boost to input strategy -- but in reverse. There was almost no way I could replicate that gorgeous Marshall drive with a pedal, and getting there from a clean setting with only a boost wasn't really practical since the levels end up jarringly different. Conversely, just controlling the drive with my guitar volume has never been my thing; it always seems to cut some of the best frequencies and make everything sound small.

So what worked was to dial in a good driven tone on the Marshall; then put a plain ol' Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ in front of the input: crank the lowest freq all the way, cut the master output to the bottom, and leave the rest in the middle. It's simple and it works beautifully: the "clean" tone has all the presence and girth of the fully-driven tone, at the same basic level. You even get a nice pushed clean sound, if you tweak it a little.

My JCM800 also has been retrofitted with a good effects loop, so maybe this is not useful info. However, since I've started using the LSC, I got ahold of a Fulltone OCD for extra juice when I need it. If I still used the Marshall primarily and didn't have an effects loop, I'd probably dial in a cleaner tone and use the OCD for drive.

18. CAJUN

CAJUN Member

I've been using my old twin regularly these days. I put 2 new Eminence Legends in it and it's so sweet. I use a Crunch box and a Visual Sound J&H or a modded tube screamer for OD. It's a '72 and has outlasted many amps that came through the stable. I think I've come to point where I may check out a DRRI to save my back. They have a good rep here..

19. Phil M

Phil M Member

I had the head and I ran that through sealed Soldano 2x12. I prefer heads over combos just about every time.

20. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I play in two bands, no covers but yes I'm using
    a single channel non-master volume (Rocca) amp.
    For effects I use a Line 6 floor unit (pod 2.0),
    Les Paul, and a Rocca 4 12" with G12H30's (brit made).
    I'm done!