single channel el84 combo w/ reverb under $500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slowburn, May 24, 2005.

1. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I am currently enamored with the carvin vintage 16 that is on loan from my buddy. for my uses, IMO, it smokes the blues jr, which is at the same price point. I would like to know if there are any other similar amps I have not been made aware of, 15 watts and lower. I really like 5 watt mode on the carvin. after experiencing some 6v6 amps, I think that el84s are more my flavor. that said, reverb is pretty much a must, but not totally. I'd say 75% must, 25% no. single channel is fine, in fact the less in the circuitry the purer the tone, and the less there is to get broken, I figure. I've played the traynor 20 / 20wr and like it better than the BJ, but not as much as the carvin. haven't played thru a pro jr in a while, but doesn't matter, I really want reverb. the one thing that I'm pretty much set on though is a 1x12" combo, no 8" speakers for me. any ideas? FYI I want to be able to play the amp before I buy it, so ampegs, crate, and gibson amps are out cause no one around here carries them. same goes for the peavey classic 30s. (they're 30 watts anyway). the mini amps from tophat, badcat, and dr. z are out cause of price range as well as the smaller speaker.

2. hepmike

hepmike Member

Ever try a Laney LC15R? they sound great for the money; can usually be had in the $3-400 range or less...

3. Marcello

Marcello Member

a ycv20wr with new tubes is IMO WAY better than the stock one, amp came to life. Great amp !

4. slowburn

never tried the laney. but didn't I hear someone on hear say that laneys are poorly built? and thus don't last very long?

and as far as the 20wr, well that would be an option to consider, after all, the carvin that I'm borrowing does have an upgraded speaker and tubes. that said, I can probably get it for around $300. for the 20wr I'd have to buy it for what, $450-$475 and then throw in like $50 in tubes? variables like tubes and speakers make it hard to accurately test out 2 similar amps.

5. hepmike

hepmike Member

i was a Laney dealer some years ago, and tho i didn't move many of them, i never had any come back with any problems.

The LC15R is a 'poor mans' AC15, can be found in either 1X12 or 2 X 10 combos. I'd gig it without hesitation...

6. slowburn

interesting option I had not really considered. now if only to track one down around where I live. thanks.

7. fatback

fatback Member

It only has a 10" speaker, but a Mesa, Subway Blues would do the trick.

8. erksin

erksin Member

Vintage 1962-65 Gibson GA-17RVT Scout or Epiphone EA-33RVT Galaxie (they're the same amp, just different name badges). 2-6BQ5s, 10" Jensen or CTS, single channel with reverb and tremolo. Either can usually be had for under $300 even on eBay. It might be tough finding a single EL-84 amp with reverb...

9. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Might want to try out a Peavey Classic 30.

10. wutnot

wutnot Supporting Member

Crate V16 Palomino. 2cents costs you nothing.

11. slowburn

I didn't mean a single el84, just a single channel. thanks for the tips though, anything on ebay I want to avoid cause I want to be able to play before I buy.

12. slowburn

there aren't any peavey dealers in austin that carry the classic 30 in stock. plus they're 30 watts. too much for home use.

13. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

like wutnot said, try a Crate V1512 or GC's variant, the V16. $399 new. smokes a FBJ in my opinion.

12 inch Celestion 75/80
    EL84s
    reverb
    15 watts (very loud)
    3 tube pre

14. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

So is 15, then. There's almost no difference in volume between a 15-watter and a 30-watter... certainly not in isolation, they're both LOUD - far too loud to use in the house with other people around.

If you want power-stage distortion, you either need to be looking at MUCH smaller amps (under 5W), or an attenuator. If you're going to be using MV-type distortion, it doesn't matter much what the final output power is, since you won't be using more than a fraction of it.

The speaker does make a difference too, but still not that much - although smaller sizes do give less thump and apparent volume.

15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Here's what $300 bought me on eBay (circa '75 Traynor Guitarmate YGM-3):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. slowburn

that's one of the reasons I like the carvin, it is switchable down to 5 watts. and I didn't say it had to be 15 watts, only 15 watts max. (have to draw that line somewhere)

17. slowburn

what's a GC's variant, the V16?

18. slowburn

hmmm.. the mesa is probably better built than the carvin... will have to check that out.