Single-channel plus pedals or channel-switching?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wundergussy, Feb 22, 2012.

Single-channel plus drive pedals VS. 2-channel

1. I'd prefer one nice clean channel w/ pedals for all drive sounds

2. I'd prefer a 2-channel option and have the amp get me all OD tones

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Having an amp made and can't decide between having one nice clean channel plus my arsenal of pedals (fuzz and ODs) or getting a foot-switchable 2-channel version (probably keep a fuzz around still).

I'm sure this has been asked, but I'd love to hear from people who maybe have both setups (or have had both) and hear reasons for one or the other.

2. QQQ

QQQ Member

Single channel plus pedalboard. I like the pure sound you get from a simple amp, and love they ability to swap various drive pedals to really dial in my sound. Way more versatile in my book.

3. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

:agree

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Channel switching. I haven't heard a pedal yet that sounds as good as a good amp.

I still use a pedal occasionally to get really screaming leads, but the core distortion comes from the amp.

5. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Single-channel amp, turned up to just where it starts to break up + "cleanish boost" + OD + lots of working the volume knob = plenty of options.

Disclaimer: Pristine clean & very distorted tones are the ones I use least.

6. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I have both setups. For hard rock/metal, I much prefer multi channel amps. For lower gain stuff, I prefer single channel amps with pedals. I have also used pedals with multichannel amps.

I have yet to hear a clean on a multichannel amp that beats a single channel amp, conversely, I have yet to hear a high gain distortion pedal that sounds as good as amp distortion.

So my advice is determine what is most important to you. Clean/low gain or high gain and then choose accordingly.

7. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

+1
    For one of my bands, clean tones are usually more a priority, so I usually use a clean pedal platform like a DRRI. For my other band, hard rock tones are a priority, so I use my Marshalls mostly. It's nice to have options to choose from (amp designs, wattage levels, different cabs, etc.). The right tool for the job ;)

8. BJJ&Blues

BJJ&Blues Supporting Member

:agree

I have a drawer full of OD pedals that are collecting dust since I got a channel switching amp. No pedal can come close to the sound and feel of the lead channel on the amp.

9. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

If you want great tube distortion, but still need nice clean tones then you really need to get a 2 channel amp. IMO, there's no dirt pedal out there that sounds as good as a nice quality MV amp.

And, if that's all you need, then you don't need to muck up your signal path with extra cables and devices!

10. WickedG

WickedG Member

Single channel high gain for me. Use the volume knob to get my "clean" tones.

11. freaksho

freaksho Member

assuming your talking about a nmv amp that is set up clean? then considering your arsenal of pedals, when you think about it having a channel switcher really only ends up taking away, say, 1 of your pedals. that said, i use a channel switcher because most times i just really want that real tube crunch sound and i haven't met a pedal that does it for me. for lower gain OD i think pedals can do a rather satisfying job though.

another option is to do a nice single channel master volume amp so you can get the simplicity of the one channel, while still having the option of setting it up dirty or clean. best of both worlds in a way. i did this with a JMP 2204 for a while. kind of a bummer to change knobs live if the next song needs real cleans, but really not a big deal once you get used to your controls. i mean, i tweak my channel switcher live between songs for different gain sounds anyway, so it's debatable whether the channel switcher has really simplified my life all that much. obviously this is no good if clean and tube crunch are needed on the same song (unless of course you're a guitar volume knob tweaker, which i am not).

edit:
    btw i voted the channel switcher but by no means do i get all my OD tones from the amp. i still use pedals for a few things. and i bet most other channel switchers do too. so don't for a second think you'll ever get away with having no OD pedals. it's just not in our nature.

12. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I've had better results with pedals. I really like great cleans and great edge of breakup type tones. I can almost always get great gain tones using pedals.

My #1 amp is a single channel job and I use it with pedals.

My #2 amp is a dual channel job, but I STILL use pedals with it.

The next three amps I plan on getting are all single channel amps.