Single Coil Alnico II vs V for strat...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Webfoot, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Which one is better and why?

2. playon

playon Supporting Member

There is no better, it's a matter of taste...

3. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I think in general, Alnico II will sound better overdriven, and Alnico V better clean. There are many pickups to choose from and many will argue otherwise to what I have stated. You need to hear the difference and decide what you like.

Jack

4. DonM

DonM Member

II is 750 points on a gauss meter
    5 is 1250 gauss

you can literally degauss your 5's a little and they will sound like 2's or ---
    3's with gauss up to 650

Alnico grades -- its just a way to manufacture parts that use magnets - and be able to fully charge them and be done - so you have grades -- that only mean gauss strength -

Alnico has no sound - your hearing strength -

the lesser strength can get MUSHY if your not careful - happens with the higher DC stuff - so the higher the DC - you need some magnet to push it - but say you have a 6K Ohm neck or bridge - for that you can use lower gauss and have positive effects on the tone -

basic rule of thumb - stay with 5's for everything -- but if you want to fool around - then degauss them a little by opposing another magnet over it - "quickly" and only once or twice - if you hit it too much you'll send it down to 200 gauss fast .. if you do accidentally do that -- then take your hand held magnet and let it attract itself to the pickup - let it sit there a second and that will bring it back up to about 600.. - if you need more gauss use Neodymium magnets to recharge Alnicos -- ebay has them for a few bucks usually - if ya mess up - give me a call - I'll help yas.
    Don Mare

imguitardan likes this.
  5. Mark C

Mark C Member

I like to put an alnico II in the bridge to warm things up a bit and alnico V's in the neck and middle.

6. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

In a Strat, Alnico V for Neck and Middle and Alnico II for bridge.

My personal favorite is the Seymour Duncan Texas Hots with Custom Wound bridge, (all Alnico II).

Jack :AOK

7. Webfoot

Great info... in fact a pretty huge breakthrough...

- 5s for clean (neck and middle) and 2s for dirt (bridge)

Anybody sell sets like this?

I am looking for good pickups without breaking the bank. Always though 2s were better because of lower power and more organic. But have heard a lot of 5s that sound really good. So not sure. I have a lonestar strat with texas specials and pearly gates. I don't think the body tone is that great. But I really think the pickups lack the traditional chime and in between sounds.

8. edward

edward Supporting Member

I own SDs in both Alnico 5 and Alnico 2. Like them both for different reasons. But here's a thought for you: Alnico 5/2s. That's a 5 magnet for the three bass poles, and a 2 magnet for the three treb poles.

I got the idea from the Duncan site, but never actually got a set. BUT, I had a 5/2 pup specially wound for me by one of our own gifted winders here ...wow! This is a very nice pup, I gotta tell you. Strong, authoritative lows: clean and tight, the proverbial "piano like" lows that are strong and never boomy or overpowering. And the highs are sweet and brilliant, but never harsh ...no ice pick anywhere, just smooth, glassy chime. This pup honestly changed the way I see Strat pups ...it's that good, IMHO.

Edward

9. oscar100

oscar100 Member

great post don

didnt realise it was that easy
    :jo

10. Webfoot

DonM... i have my proverbial junk box of loose parts for my guitars... including pickups, caps, pots, knobs, pickguards, wiring etc. Does this mean if my pickups are loose and sitting next to each other (not in a little plastic box), they will attract and possibly degauss?

edwards.... hmmmm 5/2s would be the best of both worlds...