single coil height adjustment

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Killa-B, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I'm using a normal strat guitar. I know there is a range, but what is the typical pickup distance from the strings when the string is fretted on the 22nd fret?

Thanks

2. unclej54

unclej54 Guest

with the strings depressed on the last fret fender suggests a height of 2mm (5/64") on the e, a and d and 1.6mm (4/64") on the g, b and e strings. after you've set them at this height you can adjust down if one of them is too strong compared to the others.

3. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

I use the "Nickel" method. With the low E (bass side) fretted at the last fret stack 2 nickels and place them between the the pole piece and the string, adjust the pickup so the nickels just fit. Then on the high e (treble side) use only 1 nickel. This makes a great starting point and you can fine tune from there.

4. unclej54

unclej54 Guest

great idea! that's actually about 3mm for two and 1.5mm for one and will work out pretty well when i loose my little metal ruler..which is often.:D

5. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

And it's not just for Single Coils. I use it as a starting point for all my pups.