single coil humbuckers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mcboyle, Jan 24, 2012.

1. mcboyle

mcboyle Member

hey everyone ive been looking around for a set of single coil style pickups that give me a bigger sound. something thats similiar to a humbucker but will fit in my jaguar. have any of you used anything like this for anything like this for a jag or even a strat style guitar?

2. steve440

steve440 Member

Have researched this a bit myself when i was swapping things around in a strat. Dimarzio pro track are what i would go for, not too over the top, voiced to sound like paf. Did have my eye on duncan cool rails but apparently not as good. Check HC for reviews.

3. feralchild

feralchild Member

A humbucker is by definition 2 single coil pickups with reversed polarity. This cancels ("bucks") the 60 cycle hum of AC power.

You probably won't be able to install humbuckers without routing your guitar to fit them.

You could consider some kind of active single coil pickups to give you more punch and volume.

4. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I put a JB Jr in the bridge of my AVRI strat and have been very pleased with the results.

5. aflynt

aflynt Member

The Villex passive mid boost works great for making a Strat sound fatter. I just installed their PRTB and the Ilitch Backplate noise reduction system in my Strat and couldn't be happier. :) The cool thing about the Villex is that it's a: passive (no batteries) and b: you can switch back to the regular sound of the single coils by turning a knob.

-Aaron

6. telepunk

telepunk Member

I have heard the Dimarzios are good. I would stick to the Pro Track or Chopper.

Another option is the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. I have one if the bridge of my tele and it sounds great. It may not be 100% "vintage PAF," but it is 100% high output humbucker.

7. CE-2 Man

CE-2 Man Senior Member

I just put a single coil sized Artec Humbucker in the bridge of my strat and it's ****ING AWESOME!!! Wired it for coil cut too, and it does a great single coil impression. I love having no hum and all that extra thump on my lead playing is just ace!