Single coil pickups - I want vintage tone but no stagger

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by leftyaxeslinger, Apr 23, 2008.

1. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

I have some Lollar Blackface PUs in another guitar. No stagger and smokin' tone with surpisingly great balance. I'm a lefty so non stagger means I don't have to special order for lefty staggered pole peices

I'd like to try some different single coils in the neck and middle with a PAF style humbucker in the bridge on a maple board/alder body strat. Any suggesstions would be appreciated!

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Keystones. They're dirt cheap and you'll be SHOCKED at how good they sound. And if they're not quite right, try moving the height a mm or two and try again.

3. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

and quit drinking...............worked for me at least

4. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

It could be an inner ear thing.

5. hardys

hardys Member

Rio Grande Vintage Tallboys. Non-staggered, full sounding with less than usual high end chime.

6. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

any more suggestions for non-stagger pole piece single coils?
    :drink

7. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

8. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

In another thread like this someone suggested his favs were Neck: Blonde,
    Middle: BF, and Bridge: Special....... Lollars of course.......sorry cannot remember who it was....I have BF's in my MIA strat and love em'

9. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

I managed to push down the center poles with my thumb... problem solved with no change in tone (I mean, I like my pickups)

10. mcgruff

mcgruff Senior Member

If the pole pieces are different sizes (as they often are) you won't be able to do that.

11. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Beat me to saying, "If you don't want any stagger, don't drink when you play".

12. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that's not the problem!

the problem is that vintage fender-style pickups are wound right onto the magnets; by pushing them, you risk breaking a coil wire and killing the pickup.

(i've had good luck over the years carefully "nudging" new fender custom shop pickups to fix their stupid wound-G stagger by tapping down the G pole below the D, so the pickup is balanced for y'know, normal electric strings :rolleyes:, but it is still a risk.)

13. hotmod

hotmod Member

Seymour Duncan ssl-2 or aps-2 are nice and relatively cheap pickups for the job.

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yes, that's what I do and it does work easily on the Fender pickups. Last month I moved the G and D down and went a little too much on the G pole. I was surprised to find out I could, from the bottom, Just push back up to where I wanted. I didn't think it'd come out through the bottom. Very simple and they work fine. Adjustable poles!!

G string poles, big muffs, licks, nut sauce.. we're a bunch of dirty mother#$%$$!

15. Pickaxe

Pickaxe Member

Watch it with the pushing - not for coil breaking but for pole pieces that won't stay put. I had a set of strat pickups with pole pieces that would push down flush if I bumped them with my pick while playing. They never failed but it was an annoyance to have them so moveable.

16. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

These would be my suggestion. I love the way Seymour voices his pickups.

The SSL-2 would be alnico 5 and more treble and bass than the APS-2.

The APS-2 would be the same pickup but with alnico 2 pole pieces and bright but smoother treble than the SSL-2 and plenty of bass but not as big in the bass - and more midrange.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  17. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Man, it'd take a lot of effort to get these to move. I couldn't see a pick doing that. I used the butt end of a screwdriver and tapped them down. It took a bit of force. Maybe if someone kept moving them, they'd loosen up. Is that what happened?

18. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Duncan APS2s are really nice, very "vintage" sounding Strat pickups. Sweet cleans, smooth leads, great quack.