single coil size humbucker....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pullagnm, Jun 5, 2006.

1. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

What would you suggest? This would be going into a bridge of a SRV strat. I was considering a Hot Rails. What else should I look at?

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

What sort of tone/output are you after? PAF, hot humbucker, s/c with no hum?

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The Seymour Duncan line has a few. I have a Jeff Beck Jr in a Strat that fattens up the bridge nicely and still quacks in pos. #2.

4. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I'm wanting to fatten up the high gain tones that I use. Right now I'm using a Hot Cake with the SRV and it sounds really good, but it's still not as thick sounding as my other strat that has a humbucker in the bridge. If I use the Blue Boy Deluxe it's really thin sounding.

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

In that case I'd recommend the DiMarzio Pro Track, very close to a warm, medium output humbucker tone. I haven't heard anything that comes closer to a HB in s/c size. It's also very versatile: it gets a nice single coil tone without the hum if wired in parallel and it splits great.

6. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

I experimented with all sorts of these strat sized humbuckers a couple of years back, and let me tell you, they ain't like the real thing...

7. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I've got a ProTrack and a Cool Rails respectively in the bridge positions of two of my Strats. I like both of them. They don't sound like a full size humbucker, but they are warmer, less harsh and have more balls than a single coil. To my ears, a full size hummer just doesn't sound balanced with single coils anyway. I think either one of these works well in a Strat neck to give nice thick, warm, ballsy balance to vintagey SC's in the neck and middle. They both give nice quack in the 2 position as well.

I also have both of these wired with a Torres harness with a blender pot. Mix in a little neck with the bridge, and it's killer.

It's not a full size bucker, but then, do you want one?

8. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

+1 on the Dimarzio Track series humbuckers.

I used to have a MIM strat wired with 3 dimarzio fast track pickups. Very nice tones, full on and split. Like what ScottB mentioned they don't sound like a full sized humbucker, they have a more open sound, kinda like a strat in 2nd and 4th position but with slightly more grit and body.

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

No single sized pup will sound exactly like a side by side 'bucker, as it is sensing the string in a more focused manner.

I feel the Protrack gets about as close as I have tried (and I've tried a lot of pups) The PT is one of my favorites, warm, and very versitile. It sounds great split and in parallel mode

The Cruiser is also VERY cool, more of a P-90 vibe

Here are a few clips from various recordings using:

Dimarzio ProTrack Bridge Position: (Tele)
    Audio Clip

Neck Position: (Tele)
    Dimarzio Cruiser (sort of P-90ish) then split, followed by ProTrack, then both in series:
    Neck

Protrack Bridge, and neck (in Parallel mode) (Strat)
    CLIP

This is mostly the bridge ProTrack, I occasionally switch to the Neck Protrack in parallel mode (Strat)
    http://www.harryj.net/wank%20mix4.mp3

Clean Tones:

Neck Cruiser
    Neck Protrack

Many more on my site:

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

10. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

By the way... The FastTrack is not intended to sound like a 'bucker at all :)

HJ

11. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

The only problem is the SRV is routed out for single coil's only.

HarryJ-

Nice clips. What amp are you using, and are you using any pedals?

12. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Thx,
    Each track was different in terms of gear
    I generally use a 70's Marshall 50 set clean and low volume, with a Sans Amp for OD

HJ

13. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Thanks for the tip! :)

14. dmw

dmw Member

I overall like the Duncan 'Lil '59 as a bridge pickup. However, IMHO, it does not split well. I would suggest a parallel/series coil switch instead of splitting coils as it sounds a bit thin (to my ears) without both coils in operation.

As others have said, don't expect a small-spread humbucker to sound like a large humbucker. A 'Lil '59 will get you closer to that sound, but still not there.

15. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

+1 on the Duncans - with the caveat that they will not sound like a large humbucker. My frankenstrat has JB Junior in the neck, and a Hot Rail in the bridge. Also, +1 on the series-parallel option switch.

[​IMG]

16. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Tell me about the Hot Rails. What amps are you using, and do you use pedals with it? From the SD website I've listened to the audio clips, and I like the low end it has compared to the JB jr. Both sound very nice.

17. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I use a POD XT Live through a clean amp for efx - or either Tech 21 Trademark 60 or an Ampeg Jet. This particular guitar is strung in DADGAD tuning. I can't comment of how it would sound in your guitar and rig - but the Hot Rail does sound good for overdriven parts. Even if a particular Duncan doesn't have stand out tone - they can usually be tweaked to sound good.