Single coil sized P90s for Tele or...

les_paul

Do any of the single coil sized P90s sound accurate for Telecasters or should I just buy a G&L Deluxe ASAT and get it over with?

dancehall

What is a single coil sized P90? Just a single coil that's overwound to the point where it sounds kinda like a P90?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
What is a single coil sized P90? Just a single coil that's overwound to the point where it sounds kinda like a P90?
Sort of.. it would need steel polepieces and the magnet underneath like a humbucker.. Fralin makes one for a strat..I think it’s called a P42... it doesn’t sound like a p90, mainly because of its size.. a P90@ humbucker sees more of the string... a single coil Strat or Tele size sees less of the string...the Tele bridge pickup is bigger....

Well I know fender ceramic pick ups that come in more affordable fender models have pick ups that are built with the magnets under the bobbin. Maybe get your hands on one of those and see if you like them

ndtealmusic

According to the internet, anytime you change the geometry, you make a compromise. I'd find it hard to believe that a P90 worked into the form of a Tele bridge pickup, for example, could actually replicate the sound of an otherwise identical soapbar. I'd suspect there's always a trade-off.

But then there are so many different formulas within the soapbar footprint itself, who's to say a "single coil-sized" P90 doesn't sound like a soapbar P90?

Babow2

Live gigs killed here
Gold Supporting Member
Check out Cavalier pickups. His Humungous Lion plays like a P-90. He also will do custom builds. Www. Cavalierpickups.com

According to the internet, anytime you change the geometry, you make a compromise. I'd find it hard to believe that a P90 worked into the form of a Tele bridge pickup, for example, could actually replicate the sound of an otherwise identical soapbar. I'd suspect there's always a trade-off.

But then there are so many different formulas within the soapbar footprint itself, who's to say a "single coil-sized" P90 doesn't sound like a soapbar P90?
“Sounds like a P90/humbucker/single coil” are all pretty big tents.

Without a visual reference, one can generally tell, but sometimes you can’t.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
+1 for Harmonic Design's P90'ish Tele Bridge pickup. I had one in a partscaster for about 4 years - it delivers a P90 mid-forward voice with real nice top end.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Harmonic Design has added an S90 neck pickup for Tele in the last few years too, which goes with the S90 bridge pickup.

I have both, he called the neck version something else for a while but AFIK it's the same pickup. And I like them. Sound just like a P90? I don't know, he tends to claim that none of his pickups are supposed to sound just like someone's or something else. But they sound good.

I use them with 500K pots, which is I think normal but nothing is set in stone. I had a Strat S90 for a while too, which I just used with the stock 250K pots, and I liked it too.

JoeGags

Did not see any detail on where you want the P90, but if you want it at the neck why not get a new pickguard with a P90 cut and get a real P90? Is the routed cavity big enough for a P90 (I don't know)?

les_paul

Did not see any detail on where you want the P90, but if you want it at the neck why not get a new pickguard with a P90 cut and get a real P90? Is the routed cavity big enough for a P90 (I don't know)?
Both actually. There is no room. It is just a standard American Pro Tele.

Gclef

Harmonic Design has added an S90 neck pickup for Tele in the last few years too, which goes with the S90 bridge pickup.

I have both, he called the neck version something else for a while but AFIK it's the same pickup. And I like them. Sound just like a P90? I don't know, he tends to claim that none of his pickups are supposed to sound just like someone's or something else. But they sound good.

I use them with 500K pots, which is I think normal but nothing is set in stone. I had a Strat S90 for a while too, which I just used with the stock 250K pots, and I liked it too.
The v+ neck pickup is supposed to be a p90 type as well. I think that became the chromotone, then the s90 moniker?
Scott used to recco the v+ neck with the tele s90.

Trending Topics