Single coils and heavier styles of music

starvingartist

Silver Supporting Member
I really like the clarity of single coils and the way they let the amp breathe a little. However, I also love heavier music.... how can I reconcile these facts? Have any of you guys ever used single coil pickups for heavier styles of music? Which do you recommend?

monstermike

Like how heavy? Jimmy Page on Zeppelin 1 (Tele)? Tom Morello in Rage Against The Machine (Tele)? Yngwie (Strat)?

jezzzz2003

I play classic rock and only use Fender singles these days, they sound fantastic with an old Marshall amp.

Analog Assassin

I find that heavier styles of music often benefit from lower-output pickups and amps that are distorted, but not super-saturated. You need impact, which requires at least a little headroom.
Also, cut back on the bass frequencies a bit and let the bassist do his job.

iggs

My Tele has the Bill Lawrence designed SCN pickups and the bridge PU is fantastic ... we play straight up heavy alt rock and they work awesome. I've just rewired my Strat with 2 HB's (59+JB) but before that I had single coils, Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Hot in the bridge and Area 59 and 61 in the neck and middle positions, VVH worked awesome in the bridge position because it had more output but still retained that SC sound.

I think lower output pickups, SC and HB work much, much better for heavy music because they retain the clarity, punch and "cut" needed for sounds with tons of saturation and compression.

bynt

Billy Corgan has gotten some really good heavily distorted sounds out of single coils. I really like a lot of overdrive on a strat in position 2 and 4. It's a cool sound. You could always split a humbucker but I haven't found one that I really thought sounded like a true single coil.

MajorLedhead

Silver Supporting Member
A good pedal can pull it off. My DYNA RED turns my strat into a monster. The MAYO>HONEYBEE Stack Makes this raging fuzz lead tone that works with all my guitars, including SC's, P90's, Filtertrons and Humbuckers

s2khawk

I use strat HD vintage hots and can get clear Tool level tones all the time with pick thru clarity, it all depends on the amp really. Oh and I don't use pedals for extra gain/thickness its all in the amps.

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
If you are talking Death Metal heavy, humbuckers are a MUST. If you have to have something to fit a single coil slot, a Hot Rails or Tone Zone SC are the best I have tried.

SunnyRollins

If you are talking Death Metal heavy, humbuckers are a MUST. If you have to have something to fit a single coil slot, a Hot Rails or Tone Zone SC are the best I have tried.
IMHO nothing is a MUST, in any style. You can find original ways to create new sounds to inspire the not so risky people (remember when Pantera's D. Darrell started using transistor amps to get their trademark sound).

starvingartist

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the replies so far. Would coupling a single coil equipped guitar with a clean boost basically give the input of higher gain amps the kick in the pants it needs without losing the clarity?

Paul Conway

Ty Tabor of King's X got an extraordinarily heavy sound without the usual horrible, buzzy artifacts in it, using a Strat Elite into a Lab Series amp used as a preamp, then on into (I think) a Marshall.

PremiumPlus

My Strat with Kinmans doesn't need a booster! JCM 800 2x12 combo, cranked, Sweet Sound Ultra Vibe = glory.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom