Single coils and heavier styles of music

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by starvingartist, Feb 10, 2008.

1. starvingartist

starvingartist Supporting Member

I really like the clarity of single coils and the way they let the amp breathe a little. However, I also love heavier music.... how can I reconcile these facts? Have any of you guys ever used single coil pickups for heavier styles of music? Which do you recommend?

2. monstermike

monstermike Member

Like how heavy? Jimmy Page on Zeppelin 1 (Tele)? Tom Morello in Rage Against The Machine (Tele)? Yngwie (Strat)?

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Ritchie Blackmore
    Jimi Hendrix
    Robin Trower

4. ECase

ECase Member

Gary Moore in the 80s and 90s. Quintessential Strat in screaming Marshall tone.

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I play classic rock and only use Fender singles these days, they sound fantastic with an old Marshall amp.

6. yakuza

yakuza Member

Iron Maiden comes to mind.

7. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

I find that heavier styles of music often benefit from lower-output pickups and amps that are distorted, but not super-saturated. You need impact, which requires at least a little headroom.
    Also, cut back on the bass frequencies a bit and let the bassist do his job.

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I've heard p90s actually sound really good for death metal except for the noise/hum.

9. iggs

iggs Member

My Tele has the Bill Lawrence designed SCN pickups and the bridge PU is fantastic ... we play straight up heavy alt rock and they work awesome. I've just rewired my Strat with 2 HB's (59+JB) but before that I had single coils, Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Hot in the bridge and Area 59 and 61 in the neck and middle positions, VVH worked awesome in the bridge position because it had more output but still retained that SC sound.

I think lower output pickups, SC and HB work much, much better for heavy music because they retain the clarity, punch and "cut" needed for sounds with tons of saturation and compression.

10. bynt

bynt Member

Billy Corgan has gotten some really good heavily distorted sounds out of single coils. I really like a lot of overdrive on a strat in position 2 and 4. It's a cool sound. You could always split a humbucker but I haven't found one that I really thought sounded like a true single coil.

11. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I use the neck position all the time, lots of deep notes and fullness.

12. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

A good pedal can pull it off. My DYNA RED turns my strat into a monster. The MAYO>HONEYBEE Stack Makes this raging fuzz lead tone that works with all my guitars, including SC's, P90's, Filtertrons and Humbuckers

13. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

Harmonic Design Z90's are pretty quiet.

14. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

I use strat HD vintage hots and can get clear Tool level tones all the time with pick thru clarity, it all depends on the amp really. Oh and I don't use pedals for extra gain/thickness its all in the amps.

15. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

If you are talking Death Metal heavy, humbuckers are a MUST. If you have to have something to fit a single coil slot, a Hot Rails or Tone Zone SC are the best I have tried.

16. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

IMHO nothing is a MUST, in any style. You can find original ways to create new sounds to inspire the not so risky people (remember when Pantera's D. Darrell started using transistor amps to get their trademark sound).

17. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

unless you're in a cover band...

18. starvingartist

starvingartist Supporting Member

Thanks for all the replies so far. Would coupling a single coil equipped guitar with a clean boost basically give the input of higher gain amps the kick in the pants it needs without losing the clarity?

19. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Supporting Member

Ty Tabor of King's X got an extraordinarily heavy sound without the usual horrible, buzzy artifacts in it, using a Strat Elite into a Lab Series amp used as a preamp, then on into (I think) a Marshall.

20. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

My Strat with Kinmans doesn't need a booster! JCM 800 2x12 combo, cranked, Sweet Sound Ultra Vibe = glory.