Single coils into Modded Marshalls

geezberry

Need input here. I have a couple modded 2204's both have the #36 mod. One is Pre-TS master the other normal master. Both sound stellar when running my humbucker guitars into them. When i plug any of my single coil guitars the sound is spikey and thin, very awful. I have several strats various brands of singles (Suhr,Dimarzio,Kinman, etc). What do i need a clean boost or something? Many people say you need a clean boost that doesnt color the tone but the tone is terrible with the single coils. When i run these strats into a Fractal instead of the amps, no issues they sound fabulous as the humbuckers do with no changes to the patch when switching guitars. Something tells me it's an impedance issue or something else.

geezberry

ordered an RC Booster. Will probably end up in my closet with the 25 other pedals i have in there. We'll see

Alan Wolf

Silver Supporting Member
The RC is a good possibility. I’m very satisfied with the Effectrode Firebottle, and I have a strong sense that the Source Audio Zia would fit in well here. (I am not able to reference the modded Marshalls, but in general, a relatively neutral boost, especially one that has a variable impedance input, will do nicely.)

Ultra GP

Gold Supporting Member
They can be a bit bright that way. Tone control is definitely useful, but if not (or if it's wired for neck/middle only) maybe an EQ pedal or lowering the treble side of the pickups

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
That's sort of the nature of the JCM800. On mine, unless I have the gain dialed up all the way, the tone can get a little thin and even brighter. As others have suggested, an EQ pedal can really help. I've also had success with somewhat darker overdrive pedals. A Timmy is another good option that's meant to be used with Marshalls. Or any good transparent overdrive with good EQ controls will help.

I primarily play Telecasters and a Rickenbacker through a JCM800, so I feel your pain. But there are plenty of pedal options to help mitigate the problem.

Good luck!

StevenC

Reiterating the above: modded Marshalls do sound thin and spiky. They get muddy with low tunings so a Tubescreamer or TC IP type pedal helps with that. And again, the mods tend to make the amp less full sounding with lower gain so that can be an issue.

With a strat, I like the 2 position and the tone to taste. Maybe try an OD that's not mid focused, or an EQ (in the loop if you have one) to calm things down.

fahqicehole

I have felt your pain. I have a 2210 that I sometimes use with my strat. I have a Porter P90 single coil in the bridge and Duncan antiquities in the other positions - it can be pretty abrasive in the highs (especially when compared to using humbuckers).

I have found a few things that work for me:

- using position 2 on the strat and backing off the tone knob as others have suggested

- a TS type pedal - I'm using a Barber tone pump EQ which has a ton of sculpting available

- the Zvex SHO - may sound counterintuitive because of how "glassy" it can be but hitting the front end a little harder can help saturate some mids and lower mids if you find the right setting.

- the DOD looking glass - the input filter on the looking glass is great at dialing out that high frequency resonance. I imagine the Shoe savior machine and Spiral FX red spiral drive may be able to achieve the same results. I'm not sure which other pedals offer similar control.

Need input here. I have a couple modded 2204's both have the #36 mod. One is Pre-TS master the other normal master. Both sound stellar when running my humbucker guitars into them. When i plug any of my single coil guitars the sound is spikey and thin, very awful. I have several strats various brands of singles (Suhr,Dimarzio,Kinman, etc). What do i need a clean boost or something? Many people say you need a clean boost that doesnt color the tone but the tone is terrible with the single coils. When i run these strats into a Fractal instead of the amps, no issues they sound fabulous as the humbuckers do with no changes to the patch when switching guitars. Something tells me it's an impedance issue or something else.
It all depends on preference, but I for one really like high gain and vintage style single coils. No necessary need for boost here, it's just nice to have many options and tones.

As a boost, you could safely go with a tube screamer. Lobs high presence and you might like it. But I'm going to recommend something way more unique and transparent: a Matsumin.

Here's mine, an my awesome handwired ACP 膽 Dǎn (Bravery): four resistors, three condensers, three pots and just one 12AU7 tube. Incredible tones both into clean and high gain with single coils to boot. Hope it helps:beer

geezberry

i will have to make a video. Amp is killer with humbuckers with single coils it's awful. Not that way with modeling gear though.

jlcogar

Silver Supporting Member
If you have the afd mod, it’s a honky mid machine. Might try a lower gain tube in first stages like 5751 or au7. And a drive that doesn’t cut too much lows. Dod 250 has always been my go to for strat into Marshall, but for that mod, you might need some eq

Trending Topics

Top Bottom