single EL34 amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by that_brianm_guy, Aug 18, 2005.

1. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

Some old Fender tweeds used to run a single 6V6... is there anything out there (beside a Univalve) that runs a single EL34?

thanks....

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

If you are a DIYer, you could build the ax84 P1 or P1 Extreme. That amp let's you choose which SE output tube you want to use and bias the amp accordingly. It sounds pretty good too.

There is also an amp (A20R?) from ADA that runs a single EL34. I bet you could pick one of those up for almost nothing now.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I'm sure they are out there.

3. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

4. stratofied

stratofied Member

5. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

Trace Elliot Velocette SE, single ended plug and play like a Univalve, really nice overdriven low gain Marshall tones with a Mullard EL34 installed. I had a Mullard 12AX7 in V1, killed all. Great practice amp!

Scott

6. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

As mentioned above, the ADA Rocket A20R is a single EL34 amp. Just a great tone... period! For 2-3x the price you could find something like a Matchless which is what they are compared to (a poorman's Matchless). They are not cheap anymore though. I'd be surprised if you could find one under $500. I looked to 1 1/2 years for mine and it's clean as could be. I did quite a bit of reasearch on it and actually spoke with Curt Emery from Emery Sound/Amplifers, who was the original designer of these amps. I believe Curt makes something similar now, but it's no where near cheap!

7. SeanF

SeanF Member

I *think* the new Fuchs Lucky 7 is an SE EL34. it's killer, whatever it is.

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

Yup, the Fuchs Lucky 7 runs an EL34, I think the Univalve and Carr Mercury can run them too.

9. Boomer

Boomer Member

It'll run an EL34 or 6V6. EL34 is what comes from Andy.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The A20R is a great sounding amp, but seriously micky-mouse in the construction area (a plastic chassis?). Which makes it a great recording amp but I wouldn't gig one.

The Emery Superbaby (like the Allen Class Act and the Univalve) can run any output tube and sounds great with an EL34.

My Velocetter runs a pair of El84s, I didn't know some of them were single ended EL34s?

I imagine you could upgrate the PT on a Champ and run an EL34.

11. GasMask

GasMask Member

Also the Carr Mercury:

[​IMG]

Here is the Chassis:

[​IMG]

12. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

SWEET!

Nice looking build!

13. calieng

calieng Member

Fargen Mini Plex on half power.

I believe it has two single ended tubes in parallel and the half power switch just kills one tube.

It cathode biased and can take many types of 8 pin power tubes including EL34.

Very nice amp!

14. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

Yes, there was a SE version of the Velocette that could use any of the most common power tubes (including an EL34). They had the same cabinet, speaker, etc as the 2xEL84 version and sounded great.

Also the Siegmund Midnight Special ...

15. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I thought that was 2 6L6's? I guess he can do whatever you wanted..............I heard great things about that amp and its reverb..............:dude Its supposed to KILL with P90's...........

16. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

Yep, it is a great amp and the reverb is very nice. Actually the Midnight Blues is 2x6L6 (or EL34, KT66, etc) and the Midnight Special is SE and can use any single 6L6, EL34, 6V6, etc ...

17. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

This leads to my next question... pardon me as I show my ignorance.

Besides the Class A vs Class AB thing, what other factors determine the output wattage of an amp?

A 4xEl34 Marshall is typically referred to as 100 watts, a 2xEL34 Marshall is typically referred to as 50 watts, but a single EL34 is 10 watts?

Most of the single power tube amps' output is typically far less than half the standard output of two of those.. a single 6v6 does 6 watts, two are 22w?

Does this have something to do with the push/pull design?
    A single tube push/pulling is less efficient than a pair of them?

Again, pardon my ignorance... and thanks for the amp suggestions!

18. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

No problem. :)

Yes, that's the deal--one tube in SE will be a lot less efficient than two in PP. You can squeeze more than 10W out of one EL34 in SE (changing the impedance, raising the plate voltage and so forth), but not a ton more, and then the fact that you're trying to get more power might change the sound you're after too.

Just so you know, I'm not actually recommending any of my 10W designs. :) I "try to not make them", basically, since I find the 50W amps work great with the master turned down (and there are other ways of making them "lower powered" if desired). I tend to prefer the sound of PP with negative feedback too. SE and PP tend to sound and feel different. It's hard to put into words and I'm not saying SE is "bad" or "worse" but I generally don't prefer it most of the time.