Single Ended Output transformer question...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by dumbell78, Feb 7, 2012.

1. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Just wondering what you guys recommend for a OT in a Mini Plexi type of circuit? Kicking around the idea of building a mini plexi type of circuit and run any octal power tube. Probably use the Epiphone Valve Junior chassis as a platform.

2. 5992

5992 Member

For circuits like this, I usually use a Hammond 125ESE. The primary can be configured for use with several octal power tubes: I've used 6V6, 6L6, EL34 and I've even used a 6550. Sounds good using an EL84, although it isn't an octal.

3. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

for cost-effective experiments MPS iron works well---- i've used their stuff in several very good sounding push/pull builds-----i have two 10 watt SE OT's on hand that i haven't used yet.

http://www.musicalpowersupplies.com/2.html

4. alexandergj

alexandergj Member

yes, 125ESE was regularly recommended for this application when valve junior modding was all the rage.

5. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

6. 19181911

19181911 Senior Member

You could use a 50 watt push pull OT, just cap off the center tap on the primary...

7. Trout

Trout Member

I doubt most PP transformers are gapped properly for SE use, work? yeah, But correctly? not likely.

8. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

IIRC Hammond used to market one of their OTs as 'universal' - suitable for either SE or PP, but then stopped making such claims due to dissatisfaction over performance.

But, 'proper' is also a relative term, particularly in the case of a low power SE amp, where the builder may want a core that quickly reaches saturation.

9. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

That is an interesting approach, I have never heard of that.

10. 5992

5992 Member

Yeah, the Hammond 125A-125E series. I have a few of these. They suck for SE but actually sound pretty good for push pull operation. The main selling point for these is that they can be configured for a wide variety of primaries and secondaries. The are good for experimenting with oddball tubes the may need a different primary than most of the common 6V6/6L6/EL84/EL34 guitar tubes.

11. 19181911

19181911 Senior Member

I forget the designer/amp, but there used to be a 10 watt SE amp that used a 50 push pull OT... From what I remember they sounded awesome.

I've used a 50 watt bassman replacement OT in a SE EL84 prototype that rocked.

12. 19181911

19181911 Senior Member

It was ADA, their A10 amp designed by Curt Emory, that is where I got the idea to try the big push-pull OT in SE operation. THe A10 used a 50 watt pp OT in SE.

13. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

They aren't correct, but there's so much more iron there that it won't saturate in this application.

They can also be disassembled and reassembled with an air gap.

14. EFK

EFK Supporting Member

"They can also be disassembled and reassembled with an air gap."

I've read this a number of times and understand how it could be done fairly easily, especially useful if you have old or excess OTs sitting around. BUT! It seems like it would be a real bitch trying to break apart all the laminates once they've been potted and baked. They're practically welded together. Any simple way around that?

15. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Some come apart pretty easily. Some. I've done those, and the others I've walked away from and kept for some other project. Really depends on the manufacturer, some do a varnish dip that's like they're welded, others come right apart after you knock loose the ends.

16. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

You can use a PP transformer for SE work. Just load down the unused primary side with the same idle current as your output tube. This should stop the core from saturating. Not very efficient as you can imagine.