Single-ended tube heads with smooth overdrive?

Theoretically, if I was looking for a fairly inexpensive single-ended head that had a nice smooth overdrive (something like a cranked Fender or Plexi type drive), what would it be? I'm looking for something simple just for when I want lower volume overdrive (I'm not big on pedals).

Thanks in advance!

tedwoods

The Gjika mini amp and the Stephenson stage hog are single ended amps that can be used as overdrive pedals into other amps,so you can also use them for normal playing as well as practicing.

beckanon

When you say "single ended", are you referring to amp designs that contain just one output tube? If so, the Rt.66 has 2 X KT66 tubes.

You may want to check into the Fargen Mini-Plex...it's become a big seller for Ben, and the decade switch is supposed to provide some different shades of Marshall-esque crunch.

Doesn't KJL make a single ended tube amp? Dirty 30 or something?

tonedaddy

Originally posted by beckanon
When you say "single ended", are you referring to amp designs that contain just one output tube? If so, the Rt.66 has 2 X KT66 tubes.

You may want to check into the Fargen Mini-Plex...it's become a big seller for Ben, and the decade switch is supposed to provide some different shades of Marshall-esque crunch.

Doesn't KJL make a single ended tube amp? Dirty 30 or something?
Definition of single-ended here:
http://www.aikenamps.com/SingleEnded.htm

Single-ended amps are typically found with one output tube, but as Randall Aiken details in the link:
"Tubes can also be paralleled for more power as in a push-pull stage, resulting in what is called 'parallel single-ended'."

The KJL Dirty 30 and Fargen Mini-Plex are both parallel single-ended, as are the THD Bivalve, Gibson GA-8 Gibsonette and GA-9, and Electrosonic Neptune.

Note: KJL appears to be out of business:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/63339&highlight=kjl
Originally posted by Stephen Landry
Theoretically, if I was looking for a fairly inexpensive single-ended head that had a nice smooth overdrive (something like a cranked Fender or Plexi type drive), what would it be? I'm looking for something simple just for when I want lower volume overdrive (I'm not big on pedals).

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure what your budget is, but here's a list of some single-ended amps you may want to consider:

blackface/silverface Champs
tweed Princeton
Siegmund Midnight Special
Emerysound Microbaby and Superbaby
Clark Lil' Bit
Groove Tubes Soul-o Single
Kingsley Deluxe 1
Gibson GA-5 Skylark and Les Paul Junior (vintage and new)
Carr Mercury
Savage Macht 6
Allen Class Act (not sure if he's still making these, don't see it on his website)
Bad Cat Mini Cat
Dr Z Mini Z
Top Hat Portly Cadet

Scumback Speakers

Gold Supporting Member
like this one...dual 6V6 in parallel, single ended Class A, puts out about 20 watts at full clip. Heads come out later this year.

riffmeister

THD Uni and BiValve
Carr Mercury
Allen Class Act
Siegmund Midnight Special
TopHat Portly Cadet and Prince Royale
Victoria & Clark tweed Champ clones
Fargen Bastage

are a few single-ended amps that come to mind....

wichita

Bob Gjika built an 8 tube stereo single ended amp that I played through. IT was the biggest sounding guitar amp ever heard.
Gary probably owns it. He could add more about that.
Great sounding amp.

Benny

Gold Supporting Member
A healthy BF champ might be what you're looking for, especially with a healthy speaker.

garbud

Originally posted by wichita
Bob Gjika built an 8 tube stereo single ended amp that I played through. IT was the biggest sounding guitar amp ever heard.
Gary probably owns it. He could add more about that.
Great sounding amp.
Right you are Lance! Awesome amp. The same model used by Shawn Lane on his "Powers Of Ten" CD. Totally unique sound!

Garbud

garbud

Originally posted by jokerjkny
that's frickin' ridiculous... more of a bass amp?
Bass Amp? Not at all!!! 4XEL34's a side running single-ended in true Class A using a stereo preamp. :dude
You could also run 6550's KT88's KT90's or KT77's. 6550's on one side and EL34's on the other is an interesting combination.

Garbud

grndmstr_c

I had a TopHat Emplexador for a little while. Sold it because I wanted more gain than what it would do, but I don't think I've ever played an amp that had a more musical and refined sounding plexi-style overdrive.

L

lotus

I have two Electrosonic Solaris heads on order. One with an EL84, one with a 6V6. Working with Josh has been cool, but I can't honestly assess the results just yet. I obviously am anticipating good things, or else I wouldn't have made the order.

Trending Topics