Single-sized humbucker Tele bridge pickup? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by atomheartmother, Sep 17, 2005.

1. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

I love the Tele sound. However, I don't want to buy any more guitars and I need a dual humbucker guitar. Right now my Tele copy has a Gibson Burstbucker 2 in the neck and some Duncan Designed single coil in the bridge. I'd rather just get a true Tele down the road as this really isn't much of a true Tele (mahogany-like body...kapere?...big frets, rosewood fretboard, super thin neck...etc. I also plan on putting a Bigsby on it).

Anyway, I want the bridge pickup to be voiced similarily to the Burstbucker (or 57 Classic, which is what I might switch to). The number one thing for me is to get a nice middle position sound. I really, really don't like the sound of the Burstbucker and the Duncan mixed together; it's muddy on the low end and too bitey on the top end. I love the middle position on dual hum guitars (such as SG's and LP's). So something that would mix with the neck humbucker to get that creamy, quacky sound would be good.

Right now I'm thinking about a Seymour Duncan Lil '59. Are there any that might be better?

Also, would you use 250K or 500K pots with single-sized humbuckers? They are way too bright with true single coils.

2. Grap

Grap Member

I'm happy with the Seymour Duncan '59 neck/Tele Hot Rails bridge combination in my Yamaha Pac 1511MS Mike Stern Signature.

The bridge retains the Tele snap & cut but with much more output available.

3. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

On a Tele i´d go with a Dimarzio Chopper all the way, much better IMO than the Duncan. Specially if it´s ash/maple.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have a Little 59 in my G&L Bluesboy. It sounds great. I would think that would match your Burstbucker well. It has a good PAF type sound to it.

5. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're asking too much... you want to have a tele sound, and a dual humbucker sound in the same guitar, and you're gonna have to compromise on one of those... the restriction to the single-coil-sized pickup in that steel bridgeplate on a tele is gonna make it hard to get a pickup that can give you a true 'dual humbucker' sound...

I don't have an answer for how to do that, 'cause I would get another (cheap) guitar and get closer to that sound right out of the box...

6. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

I don't want a Tele sound (not in this guitar). I want as close to a dual humbucker guitar sound that I can. This guitar honestly doesn't sound that much like a Tele even with Tele pickups.

7. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

As stated in another post, imo, the Dimarzio Tone Zone T is about the best sounding tele bridge pup I've encountered for non-tele tones.

8. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

+1 for the Dimarzio Tone Zone T

9. rooster

rooster Member

You could try a Bill Lawrence L-290T. It is voiced more like a P-90 than a strat/tele type tone, and if you ask Becky, they can voice it even deeper. No hum on his stuff, and I've been really happy.

But that's just me.

I even like Grand Funk.

rooster.