Single Space Rack that fits on top of amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by doghouseman, Jan 15, 2015.

1. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

I may have asked this before, but does someone make a single space rack effects holder that fits nicely on top of an amp? Maybe with some feet on it so it sits above the handle? I have built my own in the past, but my woodworking dovetail skills are not the best. I am surprised SKB doesn't make one. Most of the stuff i see is too big and would slide off the top of an amp.

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

So, you want a single rack enclosure that holds a 1U rack device to sit on top of your amp? How deep an enclosure do you need? Also, what are you going to put in there?

3. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

Not very deep. Just put a rack effects processor (G major) in the rack.

4. smazz

smazz Master Noodler Silver Supporting Member

I have an SKB 3 space rack that I put some feet on myself. Just buy them from mojotone. And you might use the extra space for a furman power supply or something...

5. c diddy 5000

c diddy 5000 Member

I've seen someone put a piece of plywood on top of their amp. The piece had a cuttout to put the handle thru. The rack could then easily sit atop the amp. This is clearly more to carry around than simply adding rubber feet, but with such a small rack, you could use one in a padded carrying case. I use a setup like this, and the rubber feet would create more of an issue than they are worth.

On a related note, I would suggest getting a case that's slightly larger than your current needs dictate. You never know what changes you will want to add down the line. I have a 4 space, and wish I had a 6 now.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  6. stark

stark Supporting Member

Got the SKB single rack bag. Works great on top.

7. dcbc

dcbc Member

Rob303 likes this.
  8. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

I swear I owned and sold a single-space, shallow-depth OSP case but can't seem to find that they make one anymore (or any record that they ever had.) The DO have a simple, shallow 2-space one ( http://www.ospcases.com/index.php/rack-cases/2u-effects-rack-case-2-space-10-depth.html ) and I agree with going that route to add a dedicated power supply in the second space. You probably wouldn't regret that compromise if you gig- clean power is usually an afterthought at bars and clubs.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Wow, do NOT try and google effects rack holster...

Anyway, someone a decade ago built a metal unit that screws to the side or top of your cab or amp that supports a single rack unit. I thought it was a great idea, bought one, and it's sat on the shelf ever since. If you're interested, PM me...

10. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

Awesome. I love this forum. That is exactly what i was looking for. Just ordered it. Yes, a little expensive, but I have been looking for one like that for a long time. Especially one that is small (12 inches). Nice!! I really need two (one for each amp) but I got one to see how I like it.

Cheers

:drink

Rob303 likes this.
  11. dcbc

dcbc Member

Cool! Glad it worked out for you. Let us know how you like it. Still really wanting one of these.

12. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

Those NYC racks look awesome! Bookmarked!

13. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

Actually, I almost like this one better. I like the covers on the front and back. I also didn't notice the feet at first glance. Might have to get this one for the second amp at some point. I would rather have one space, but two is not bad either.

14. James

James Member

You can find weird little random shallow single-space racks on Ebay sometimes. I think this one may have originally been the inner shell of a shock-mounted single-space rack. Works perfect for a Chandler SDE-2 Digital Echo, and just happens to fit inside a RoadRunner "all-in-one" pedalboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]