• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Singlecut buying help!

jeffbelch

Silver Supporting Member
With the funds you have available, I'd recommend a Collings CL, or perhaps an Eggle Macon. Quality of both these builders is second to none and super consistent from one instrument to the next.

JackS2

Silver Supporting Member
With the funds you have available, I'd recommend a Collings CL, or perhaps an Eggle Macon. Quality of both these builders is second to none and super consistent from one instrument to the next.
I'm definitely in love with both of those!
The satin CL I loved sold for $5800 though and ordering an Eggle would be similar at $5500.
Sadly too pricy unless I want to wait... Which I'm admittedly not good at, ha ha!

bikeracr

Silver Supporting Member
Collings aren't in my price range. I have an I30 and an Eastside so I know they're killer! The Bartlett Retrospec would be my top choice but they're WAY pricer at $7800. Are you seeing either used or something? I have a Knaggs too, good stuff but again it was pricier.
You know your stuff. I don’t know of any specific used listings at the moment. I bought my Collings CL used (less than a year) for $3600. It is essentially a refined LP that makes all the modern appointments that improve playability, but still retains a vintage character & voice. I still see used ones around this price point or a bit lower on Reverb.

mikealpine

Gold Supporting Member
2. Aged version, but from a shop I trust.
What's the return policy? If it is good, at most you're out shipping if you don't like it. FWIW, best tone I heard was from a Collings CL...great player, but that guitar was stellar.

JackS2

Silver Supporting Member
You know your stuff. I don’t know of any specific used listings at the moment. I bought my Collings CL used (less than a year) for $3600. It is essentially a refined LP that makes all the modern appointments that improve playability, but still retains a vintage character & voice. I still see used ones around this price point or a bit lower on Reverb.
I'm heavily biased by color, lol. They used ones I've seen we're in great shape but not colours I prefer. I need more patience. ;)

What's the return policy? If it is good, at most you're out shipping if you don't like it. FWIW, best tone I heard was from a Collings CL...great player, but that guitar was stellar.
It's a 3 day yay or nay, so yeah, just out $100ish to try it.
I'll look again at the used Collings market!

crosse79

There was one CL recently here for a really great price of 3.3K. Not sure if it was sold already.

My take to the OP would be to get a PRS SC 594 - really great guitars.

JackS2

Silver Supporting Member
There was one CL recently here for a really great price of 3.3K. Not sure if it was sold already.

My take to the OP would be to get a PRS SC 594 - really great guitars.
The CL's are definitely around for that price, just not in colors I like. A bit silly I know, but for anything over 2k I always want to love the look also. :)

Ferg Deluxe

Double Platinum Member
The idea that you’re going to automatically get a dog from Gibson is overblown. There have been real issues that people have discussed online, and while that can’t be ignored you have to keep context in mind. People are much more likely to voluntarily complain about something than praise something.

You’ve seen that other manufacturers have issues too. I’m not saying Gibson was perfect or that they didn’t have some QC issues to address. But I refute this notion that every single Gibson has some kind of serious problem.

My PRS DGT is an exceptional instrument. It’s great.

My R8 absolutely wipes the floor with it.

I can’t tell you how to spend your money. In reality you can get a dog or a stellar instrument from any company. If you don’t want to take the chance on the Gibson, there are options to consider for sure. I love PRS Singlecuts. But they are PRS guitars, not Gibsons and to me they aren’t 100% interchangeable, though yes they are similar.

$4k seems a touch high for that guitar. You can probably do better if you’re patient.

Dr Zaius

Gold Supporting Member
I don't tend to mention PRS very often, but at that price point I would definitely try out a PRS singlecut. They may not have a reputation as being as sexy as some other guitars, but the build quality is great and they're dependable. Leon Todd plays one and he loves that thing.

You might also look for a used Nik Huber Orca (not the Orca 59, which is more expensive) or Krautster. For tone and quality, it's pretty difficult to outdo a Huber, and both of those guitars can be found in the $4k range.

The ESP Eclipse's from the Japan custom shop are top quality instruments, and they come in at about that same price.

Also, look around for a used Springer Seraph as they sometimes can be found close to that price point. Unique design which plays and sounds like a Les Paul combined with top quality craftsmanship.

Last edited:

pirateflynn

Silver Supporting Member
Like one of those mentioned by @DM426, I came here to recommend a Huber Krautster. They can be found used for around 3K and are stellar guitars. I wouldn't say it's a dark guitar but with the stock HotB pickup it certainly is thick and has a great spilt sound. Killer quality, cool looking, and very consistent.

Here's one on Reverb. I'd offer $2800.

https://reverb.com/item/27047463-nik-huber-krautster-ii-2012-gold-top

I've had a couple and they are right up there with the best.

JackS2

Silver Supporting Member
I don't tend to mention PRS very often, but at that price point I would definitely try out a PRS singlecut. They may not have a reputation as being as sexy as some other guitars, but the build quality is great and they're dependable. Leon Todd plays one and he loves that thing.

You might also look for a used Nik Huber Orca (not the Orca 59, which is more expensive) or Krautster. For tone and quality, it's pretty difficult to outdo a Huber, and both of those guitars can be found in the $4k range.

The ESP Eclipse's from the Japan custom shop are top quality instruments, and they come in at about that same price.

Also, look around for a used Springer Seraph as they sometimes can be found close to that price point. Unique design which plays and sounds like a Les Paul combined with top quality craftsmanship.
Like one of those mentioned by @DM426, I came here to recommend a Huber Krautster. They can be found used for around 3K and are stellar guitars. I wouldn't say it's a dark guitar but with the stock HotB pickup it certainly is thick and has a great spilt sound. Killer quality, cool looking, and very consistent.

Here's one on Reverb. I'd offer $2800.

https://reverb.com/item/27047463-nik-huber-krautster-ii-2012-gold-top

I've had a couple and they are right up there with the best.

I could do with an Orca, have t seen a used one I like but I live my Rietbergen.
I think the Krautster would be too much like my P90/bucket Knaggs set up. Looking for something with dual buckers.

clmazza

Gold Supporting Member
PRS SC594. I have two and they are relatively close ... sonically... to my Gibbys. In actuality, they are better than my Gibson’s, IMHO.

Last edited:

Trending Topics