Singular Sound Aeros Loop Studio

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Digital Igloo, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Imerkat

Imerkat Supporting Member

$770??? better off looping with a laptop rig for that much.

xcc, MaxTwang, mbenigni and 2 others like this.
  2. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

I can see that -- the Aeros is expensive enough that I wonder if they haven't priced themselves out of the market. That said, there is the distinct advantage to being both much smaller and -- if you are adding a MIDI Maestro -- modular. Plus, you may not need the Maestro: you don't actually know what the buttons do under what circumstances. The Singular guys have proven to be masters at multi-function, state-dependent buttons. It will be interesting to see it actually working.

mbenigni and Elantric like this.
  3. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Do you need it for looping? Or just to hold drum loops? Because Beat Buddy.

4. James Knox

James Knox Member

Agreed, it’s not a $700 need for me. My Rang3 works fine. I would be interested in the $500 range.

Elantric likes this.
  5. James Knox

James Knox Member

I like the form factor, size, scroll wheel and especially SD Card memory to save loops.

My wife (on Upright Bass) and I play Retro Rock Classics and I use a looper to record rhythm guitar On the fly to play lead over.

It would be cool to have intro/outro, verses and chorus already looped and ready to pull up for about 50 songs.

Elantric and mbenigni like this.
  6. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Definitely looping, but I'm specifically interested in loopers that will effectively self-synchronize with convincing drums. Running SDRUM synced to JamMan right now, but the SDRUM is a little fussy and the JamMan (Express XT) is a little primitive.

I agree that the price is high, though - and I'm a self-professed cheapskate. I have been thinking a lot about installing Ableton Live on a cheap e.g. Core i5 Windows tablet and just controlling that with Helix. This approach works well enough when I'm sitting in front of my desktop PC... extremely versatile, but not exactly bullet-proof.

7. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

I'm doing similar with vintage surf music - funny what an old Fender G-DEC 3 Thirty amp can do with a 32GB SD card full of backing tracks connected to a pair of powered PA speakers in Stereo

James Knox and mbenigni like this.
  8. Suarkttam

Suarkttam Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

And here I was hoping that their first looper would in fact look exactly like this EXCEPT it would have the beatbuddy built in.

James Knox likes this.
  9. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Buy them both and merge them with Gorilla Glue!
    :)

10. Mincer

Mincer Member

Well, it isn't an Echoplex, and it is expensive. Not enough there to give up my 2 Echoplexes.

splatt and XISTH like this.
  11. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Agreed. I'm glad for the builders that some people seem excited, but it seems like it does less than my rang 3 and significantly less than the EDP.

splatt and XISTH like this.
  12. Emigre

Emigre Member

The Echoplex does this?!?

I don’t think it’s an echoplex, more a RC-300/Headrush Looper alternative.

13. Emigre

Emigre Member

14. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

I may have mentioned it on this thread, but that (hidden -- but not very well) web page was the framework for what WILL be their product page, and not what IS their product page. I have no idea why it existed outside their firewall, but it is very clearly not a finished page, and equally clearly not intended for public consumption. So I'm not sure I'd rely on it until you see what they actually say publicly about the product.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Elantric likes this.
  15. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Fair enough. Between the rang 3 and the EDP that feature is met, but not at that scale.

Agree wholeheartedly that this isn't for EDP style looping, but rather the RC/youtuber style.

16. Elantric

17. spiral

spiral Member

Can anyone tell if you can do freeform sync'd loops like Boomerang and Infinity? ie. create first loop at any tempo and it creates the loop point for all subsequent loops which can be any multiple of the master. Description says: freeform (to any time signature) or quantized.

18. Elantric

Probably need to await the actual user manual

until then, read the FAQ at bottom of page
    https://singularsound.com/product/aeros-loop-studio/

Why are loops different colors?
    The Aeros Looper uses a color coding system for loops and cues. This helps to give you the most visual feedback at a glance.

Red means recording, green is the track/overdub which is currently selected and playing, blue is a track that’s playing but not currently selected, and yellow is an overdub that’s being recorded.

How does hands-free mixing work?
    The looper’s included scroll wheel will control master volume while playing a song, but if you hold down the song part button (left) you’ll enter mixer mode. In this mode you can switch between tracks with the looper’s built in comfort+ buttons and control their volume using the scroll wheel as well.

Simultaneous parallel and sequential loops? Tracks and song parts? How does that work?
    When looping, traditionally there have been 2 main modes that looper pedals operated. Parallel mode let you record multiple tracks that play on top of each other, while sequential let you record multiple tracks which play one after another.

The Aeros Loop Studio allows you to do both simultaneously by enabling you to use 6 tracks (parallel looping) in 6 song parts (sequential looping). This results in a total of 36 unique loops!

Perhaps best of all, you can mute any of the tracks and go to song parts out of order, all with just your foot.

Will tracks be locked to the same length?
    Nope! Each track can be a different length. The looper will automatically sync them to the measure. This means you could lay down a 2 bar bass track, then come on top with a 4 bar rhythm guitar loop before finishing up with an 8 bar lead guitar loop.

You can even combine loops with odd numbered measures and even number measures (a 1 bar swell with a 4 bar bass line). The Aeros will sync them together seamlessly.

Is this quantized? Is there a freeform mode?
    The Aeros will let you play in both a quantized and freeform mode.

In the quantized mode it will sync your loops to the measure.

How are loops saved?

Loops are automatically saved as songs in the form of wav files on your pedal’s onboard memory or SD card. These songs will retain all of the tracks and song parts that as well as the settings.

You can name/rename and delete songs, letting you save your favorite loops for use later during a jam session or show.

What Instruments does it work with?
    The aeros will work with anything that can send signal through a 1/4″ (6.35mm) connector.

Will the Aeros work with Microphones?
    Yes, provided you use a cable that ends in a 1/4″ (6.35mm) plug and/or a preamp.

The Aeros does not feature phantom power.

How does it work with the BeatBuddy?

When using the Aeros and BeatBuddy together, the BeatBuddy will control the tempo and time signature. Pressing play on the BeatBuddy will start the Aeros, and stopping the BeatBuddy will stop the Aeros. In addition, both pedals will sync song part changes.

James Knox and Madmax25 like this.
  19. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Ordered.

This may actually turn out to be a great fit for me. I've tried lots of other loopers but they've all been largely frustrating. Hated the klugey interface with the VoiceLive 3 (seriously bad IMHO). Don't like having only one loop part - definitely want at least verse/chorus at a minimum but I don't like to having to pre-record the song part ala the Digitech stuff. And the form factors are often equally bad. It's been years since I had the Boss RC-50 but it was huge. Never owned a Boomerang for the same reasons. The "best" so far for me has been the Ditto X4 - but with no real memory function, doesn't start/stop a BeatBuddy it makes the Aeros worth a serious try. Plus I like that they give you a 60 day return window.

So the Aeros, while expensive, seems to do what I want in a way that will hopefully make sense. Real time on the fly, multiple song part looping in what looks to be fairly intuitive interface. And I can store songs/backing stuff so I don't always have to recreate things each time. Very handy for some of the acoustic gigs I'm doing now.

Time to sell off the old collection of loopers. It won't totally fund the Aeros but it will help a bit.

Madmax25, Emigre and donfrantz like this.
  20. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

Wow. This looks like a very impressive box.