Singular Sound Aeros Loop Studio

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Digital Igloo, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Will do!

Had the Voicelive III (not the Extreme) - even bought the extended switch for it.

I quickly got rid of mine. If they had stuck to only two loops it might have worked but their approach to using three loops just ruined it. I found it totally a mess to use while trying to play - the buttons all change position and function as you record/overdub/change/stop/start parts. Hovering my foot over the top row of buttons to change functions so that I get back to the previously recorded loops. Seriously WTF???

The Ditto X4 is so simple and intuitive to use in comparison.

mbenigni and Elantric like this.
  2. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

Update the JM4 with Helix modeling.

3. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

Don’t. I owned one and dumped it ASAP. Conceptually it was a great idea but the execution was terrible. The YT videos make it seem far better than it is to actually use.

Folks get hung up on features when shopping. Loopers are a device where more isn’t necessarily better.

If this is really you first looper, go for something simple with two buttons like a TC X2. (Skip any single button loopers) That’ll give you a feel for whether looping is for you. It takes a bit of learning to get up to speed on looping but it’s a blast.

mbenigni and Guitardave like this.
  4. 2+2=5

2+2=5 Member

5. spiral

spiral Member

Got a reply from Singular Sound about my question about Free Sync mode (create a master loop at any tempo and all subsequent loops sync to that):

"We are building" implies it won't ship with it, which is a deal-breaker for me.

splatt likes this.
  6. Midas77

Midas77 Member

Hi guys, no one is talking about the Headrush Looperboard. Yes...it's bigger than the Aeros but it has a lot of cool features and looks simple. Never tried one until now but seems to work great especially when syncd with other external machines. ohhh yes...and on the rear side there are 4 combo inputs and 4 outputs. You can route any of the 4 tracks to any of the 4 outputs. And last but not least you can have the click sound routed only on the headphone jack in order to quantize your loop without annoying the audience with metronome sound. Plus fx you can apply to any tracks. Cool...but expensive.:)

7. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

8. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

I'd ask the question directly.

9. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Check

Group the Loop
    http://www.grouptheloop.com/
    on iPad
    [​IMG]

xcc, mbenigni and creative360 like this.
  10. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Just the kind of feedback I was hoping for.
    Thank you gents :)

Guitardave likes this.
  11. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

Another one for ipad/iphone is Quantiloop Pro. Four separate tracks, each of which support overdubs. There’s also support for adding audio - drum tracks, etc. I’m not a looper guy but have used it a bit to see how it works. I’ve used it in conjunction with HX Stomp, Morningstar MC6 and Apple Camera Connection Kit. Using the MC6 is nice because you can have number of different CC actions associated with 1 footswitch and once you have decided what CC scheme to use you just use Quantiloop’s learn function to map a behaviour to the CC.

A used iphone is a reasonable host for the app which can make it fairly affordable. This video gives a bit of a sense of how you can use it.

mbenigni and Elantric like this.
  12. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

How do these type of apps work for real-time loop creating at a gig? And how do I route my instruments to it?

I like the idea of an iPad but am worried it's too confusing to get all the parts integrated.

13. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

I have the Stomp and the MC6 connected using a midi cable. There are videos (jsad has one) that show how to have the MC6 extend the one-button looper on the Stomp by augmenting the number of buttons available to control the looper. The approach for Quantiloop is not significantly different in that you are still using midi CCs to control record, play, overdub, etc. [If you are contemplating trying the ipad route I’d recommend starting with the one-button looper because it’s easier to get a handle on and what you learn will be useful when moving on to the ipad.]

Coming back to the routing, with the MC6 and Stomp connected with a midi cable, on the Stomp you set ‘MIDI Thru’ on in Global Settings. Then you connect the ipad to the Stomp using a Type-A to Type-B USB cable and the Camera Connection Kit. Now the midi commands targeted at Quantiloop are routed from the MC6, thru the Stomp and over the USB cable to the ipad.

In the Quantiloop app you configure the midi and audio sources as the the HX Stomp. It’s straightforward and really no different than what you are doing when you use a computer and Helix for recording. In fact the way I think of Quantiloop is as a four track recorder. The last thing you have to do is create a scheme for what CCs are going to control what functions in Quantiloop. And if you done the one-button looper, this is where what you have learned will serve you well and help you in making your decisions.

As always the issue with audio is latency. And at present ios is the only tablet/phone OS capable of delivering on that front. And the MC6 has an action called Looper Mode which can be toggled on and off. When it’s on the midi command(s) associated with a switch are sent instantaneously.

Again, if you are thinking about it there is a pretty comprehensive manual for Quantiloop that is worth taking a look at. Hope this helps.

14. spiral

spiral Member

Yeah I have now asked if it ships with free sync. I didn't want to bother since it took 5 days to respond to my initial question and the answer seems opaque. Why not just say "Yes it does" if it does? I read it as "we are working on it" which is what they said. I'll post back if I get a clearer answer. FWIW I did already order one but will return it if there is no clear timeline for free sync.

In general or in this thread? If the former: because it's extremely large—larger than my entire pedalboard which already includes a full looper (Boomerang III) plus all of my effects—and it's expensive. It seems like overkill for most people—even though it seems to have tons of cool features. That's why It didn't interest me.

Elantric likes this.
  15. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Aeros. I'm pretty much sold after watching those videos. This is the kind of stuff I do with my duo and trio where I am running multiple serial and parallel loops using prerecorded drums and bass on the EHX and guitar on the Infinity.

The Aeros lines up with this use case very well, and I think exceeds it in form and function. The one thing that should be apparent from watching my video is the lack of visual feedback. I have to really keep track of what is going on in my head all the time. Unfortunately I missed the first 100 sold.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    cabojoe likes this.
  16. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

https://www.gearnews.de/singular-sound-aeros-loop-studio/

Gearnews readers should have met the company through Beat Buddy . At the time, it was the most funded musical accessory in crowdfunding history. Now Singular Soundwants to shake up the market of Looper with the Aeros Loop Studio.

When Eros Loop Studio of singular sound is a Looper in slightly larger stomp format. The internal memory can record, store, import and export 3 hours in mono or 1.5 hours in stereo . With a separate SD card you can extend that to 48 hours - amazing!

Infinite overdubs, up to 36 tracks per song
    Each song can contain 6 tracks in parallel and 6 song parts in succession . Mind you in stereo. Your tracks can even be quantized in every time signature . There is no limit to overdubs.

touchscreen
    Thanks to a color 4.3 '' touch screen , the user gets a very visual feedback in real time. The tracks with their waveforms and functions like record, overdub, play etc. are color coded . This looks really clear. Almost like in your DAW. Underneath the hood is a 32-bit Foating Point processor, recorded in 24 bits with a latency of 1 ms and a frequency range of 20 Hz - 20 kHz .

[​IMG]

Hands-free mixing
    While the 4 footswitches cover all conceivable basic functions (start, stop, record, etc.), the built-in scroll wheel is used for freehand mixing of the tracks during your performance. Other functions can be controlled with an external expressionpedal. Thanks to MIDI I / O not only effects can be controlled remotely, but also drum machines and of course the in-house Beat Buddy * synchronized.

Wifi and Bluetooth
    In addition to a USB interface, there is also Wi-Fiand Bluetooth . Apart from updates , the exact functions are not yet described.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thought through?
    Overall, I like the concept of the Eros Loop Studio very well! While the feedback among the videos is mostly positive, there are some complaints about the price here and there. Honestly, in comparison to the BOSS RC series , the buyer gets a color display with touch function! However, what bothers me is the lack of a mic input. The Looper community is big and versatile! In my experience, the hip loop enthusiasts are not limited to just one instrument, but make great arrangements with opulent setups of various instruments and microphones.

price
    The first batch is already sold out. The second shipment of the Singular Sound Aeros Loop Studio can be pre-ordered for September and currently costs $ 590 . Later, the device will cost $ 770 .

chlorinemist and mbenigni like this.
  17. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

it's the phrase-sampling paradigm --- song-(re)creation & management --- not intended for folks who approach looping as they would approach a musical instrument.
    maybe just think of it as a hard-drive-cum-simple-database-cum-audio-interface in a slick, portable flight-nav-style-package.
    you might have a use for this --- like patching it behind your "creative" looping-instrument, for instance --- but it def won't compete with your EDP's functionality: they're simply different.

XISTH and Broken Diode like this.
  18. Orphan

Orphan Supporting Member

I've owned a Headrush Looper board for several weeks now and I'm using it for recording. I am more than happy with it and find that it works great. Most of the negative things that I read or see on YouTube seem to be a lack of understanding of the Global settings. I guess it works differently from the RC300, but that is just a small learning curve.
    I dont use it live so I cant speak to that but I can't see how it would be a problem. I would definitely recommend it.
    I was previously using a DittoX4 and the Looperboard is just as simple but so much more sophisticated.

Elantric and Guitardave like this.
  19. XISTH

XISTH Member

No loop decay though

:jo:facepalm:horse:waiting:bkw

Deal breaker for me.

20. Orphan

Orphan Supporting Member

I’m not sure how you use a looper but with 4 tracks and individual track fade would you need loop decay?
    The fade does happen pretty quickly so maybe it wouldn’t work for you.
    There are a couple of functions that I think are useless like double speed or x4 etc. That processing power could have been better utilized on other functions, maybe loop decay.