Singular Sound Aeros Loop Studio

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Digital Igloo, Jun 27, 2019.

1. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I found that I used loop decay on my El Capistan or other Sound-On-Sound type delays. But - I can’t recall using it on other loopers. I could imagine that it might be fun on a multi-loop looper where you’d lay down a base track and then have a SOS to play against while I decayed. Not a deal breaker but a nice to have.

2. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

3. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Can't wait for the reviews to start to coming in. I'm hoping the $590 "deal" price will shake out as the "real" price after a couple of months at retail. I'm guessing $770 is being floated to give a perception of value, so $590 doesn't incur sticker shock. (Oddly, this works. When I got the email for the first run at $590, I thought, "Oh what a deal!" :D)

At this point I might wind up with an Aeros, I might wind up with an RC-20R, or all this looper hype might just encourage me to revisit iOS apps and invest in a new iPad. It looks like some of the apps I bought a few years ago have improved since I last tried them.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Guitardave likes this.
  4. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

In another episode of "As the Gear Wheel Turns" I sold one of my Powercabs, bought a used Bose L1 compact w/T1 Tonematch and just ordered a new iPad Pro 10.5".

I've never had an iPad before but I know many of my peers use them for music apps like charts/mix control of digital mixers/etc. that it seemed like a good idea.

After reading some reviews and looking at the various iPad apps I think with a simple MIDI footswitch like that three button Morningstar I'll be able to get what I want. That could also give me additional utility for my Stomp. I'm excited to try the Apple world - this will be my first attempt with it.

I still have the Aeros on order so if it's not wowing me then I may still go with it.

mbenigni likes this.
  5. spiral

spiral Member

From Singular Sound support in follow up to free sync:
    My excitement is reignited!

6. churdensity

churdensity Member

Does anyone have any idea what the stereo Aux send and return is for?

I have one on order as a planned replacement for my Rang III. I loved the beat buddy but it did not quite fit with my setup (just using an iPad with midi sync for drums now).

7. Go2ldook

Go2ldook Member

Does anyone have this yet?

I have written Singular Sound to see if the Aeros has a feature like "Auto Zero Record" on the Pigtronix Infinity Looper. This feature is kind of crucial to my set-up, as I play to mp3 backing tracks, NOT to a Beatbuddy. It basically re-calibrates the start of the measure to your first instance of "Loop 1 Record". I play the mp3 and get my MIDI Clock from my iPad Bandhelper app. The Mp3 is the correct BPM, but may not be perfectly in time to the measure start point. Auto Zero Record recalibrates that measure start point in the Infinity, that way, if it is, say, 250 ms off on the mp3 compared to the MIDI Clock, Infinity knows that offset throughout the song.

Kind of a crucial issue in my case. If anyone knows about this feature existing, let me know!

8. spiral

spiral Member

I don't think the first batch ships until September.

Isn't that the same as "free sync"? It sounds like it. The Boomerang calls it free sync. If that's the case I asked something similar, got an answer from Singular and posted about it above.

Regardless couldn't you load the MP3's into the Aeros ahead of time? Seems like the Aeros would be ideal for you in that regard.

9. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I asked if I could use one of the Aux sends as a click only track, and the answer was yes. So that is at least one use. I'm hoping you can choose the route for each track. I'd like to send the bass line to an independent mono out for better control over mixing at FOH.

10. Go2ldook

Go2ldook Member

I have a similar complicated set-up: I use drum backing tracks from my iPad and play guitar and sing while looping bass and guitar tracks that I lay down live. I am doing this currently with the Infinity Looper, but the Aeros will blow my options wide open. If you are not doing so already, you should delve into creating MIDI files to play with your backing tracks to automate everything like Loop record/stop/start/overdub. It really makes a huge difference.

11. Go2ldook

Go2ldook Member

IDK...I assumed free sync referred to the ability of loops to not be locked in relative to one another (Create loop 1 and Loop 2 can start unrelated to the start of loop 1). Some people like this option for creating ambient soundscapes I think. What I am referring to locks you in with the MIDI clock, it is just that you, not the MIDI clock, determine when the ONE is on the first Loop. after that all subsequent loops follow your defined ONE...if that makes sense.

And yes, I suppose I could load all backing tracks into the Aeros. Had not done that with my Infinity looper, and I prefer the current set-up as I can keep the looper simple: I have 80-100 songs I play, and many do NOT require loops, so would have to have a Loop preset on a per song basis. As have it now, all those backing tracks are in my iPad and I just pull up the type of Loop preset I need when looping is necessary. I also run a MIDI file attached to the backing track in Bandhelper, and it automates everything: Preset selections on my Loop Switcher, commands on my Looper (Record/Stop/Start/Overdub), all sorts of things. Very powerful, and reduces the footdance considerably...especially crucial for me because I also use a set of basspedals to play simple basslines and synth backing.

mbenigni likes this.
  12. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

Email just received:

Hey,

We just wanted to update you on the status of your Looper. A major typhoon rolled through recently, resulting in production stopping for a couple of days.

Still, we were able to complete 80/100 units and expect to complete the remaining units and ship to our warehouse by the end of this week.

We’ll send another update when they’re shipping out, and I’ll prod David (who’s in china ensuring production is up to spec) to get some pictures of them for y’all. :)

Cheers,
    Anthony Sostre
    The email guy, Singular Sound​

mbenigni, Guitardave and spiral like this.
  13. Guitardave

I got the same email...

14. Guitardave

Latest email update.

All units from batch 1 just completed production and are shipping out from the factory today! :)

They'll need to make it to our fulfillment centers before we send you a tracking number, but the wait is soon coming to an end.

The next update will come through when the units have made it through customs and are in our hands.

mbenigni likes this.
  15. Quad4

Quad4 Member

Congrats. Any chance you can share user docs with us once they ship? That often answers lots of questions....

Thovy64, Viabcroce and Guitardave like this.
  16. zematynnad

zematynnad Member

Just curious - if you've already got the Pigtronix Infinity Looper and it has the features you want why are you interested n the Aeros? Is the PIL missing something?

17. Go2ldook

Go2ldook Member

The big issue is fewer loops available. But here are some other issues:
    -Crashes: There is a bug in the Infinity where, if you switch Presets without first erasing the loops from the Preset you are on, the Infinity freezes and has to be unplugged and rebooted. I have worked around this by making sure that there is a MIDI CC for erase attached to every song on my setlist, and this command precedes any Preset change commands. Still, if I forget and add a song to my setlist it creates issues. I have seen references to repeated freezes, and this may be the fix to other's problems with this. I have informed Pigtronix, but got no reply (though I have gotten some other input on issues I have experienced). I am not sure they are supporting it with future firmware updates. Given that, might be time to move on.
    -Latest firmware issues: I had freezes of the pedal as soon as it received ANY MIDI commands. They have sent me a replacement SD card to try in case that has caused a lot of my issues, though I have not tried that fix yet, since I am RELATIVELY stable with firmware V2.11.
    -Windows App Crashes: I keep having issues with the Windows app not loading when I want to use it for settings. The fix is to reformat the pedal each time, then it works for a while. As long as I have backed up my Presets that is not a huge deal, but aggravating. Will see if the SD card change fixes that as well.

I have yet to pull the trigger on the Aeros. I would love to see some personal reviews. I also could not get a clear answer to my question. Would have been better to talk to someone at tech support via phone to make sure we are saying the same things, but the replies I got by email seemed to indicate it would do the same thing as the Auto Zero Record on the Infinity, but I was still not convinced we were talking the same language . I requested a PDF of the manual and they said they were working on it but would be a few weeks!!! That seems like poor planning.

mbenigni likes this.
  18. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I have problems with the Infinity looper too, but you have a lot more issues with it than I do, must be a firmware difference or you have a faulty unit. I don't have to erase presets before switching. However, I do experience a crash occasionally, usually in the middle of a song, maybe once every 10-15 shows. The crash doesn't bring my main audio signal down thankful, but the looper isn't working until I reboot. Also, early on I wanted to control the pedal entirely over MIDI, but it was unreliable. I definitely experienced freezes often enough that I had do undo my plans and interact directly with the pedal footswitches 100% of the time. I am able to send MIDI to it in the form of preset changes and MIDI Clock reliably enough however (except for the mention above of the infrequent crash and reboot). At the end of the day, I have to really question whether anyone at Pigtronix uses the Infinity Looper in a deep way. It seems most features are accounted for, but in practice it falls a bit short. I really like the device otherwise.

For me, the Aeros looks like a game changer as long as the reliability is there. From what we've seen so far, it sort of sits between the features of an EHX 45000 and the Infinity Looper. It's a live looper that can act a bit like a DAW with mixer style controls and massive storage capacity. I'm fully onboard in theory with what they've done. Unfortunately I'm not in the first batch of purchases and I guess I'll be waiting a while. I've been waiting every day for the documentation to get posted.

My faith in the unit is based on how clever and outstanding the beat buddy is and that the developers did this because they really wanted it for themselves. They appear to have designed MIDI into as a first class feature and they also are making a MIDI controller, as well as MIDI integration between it and the Beat Buddy. That goes way beyond creating a nice looper and then deciding what MIDI features can be added to score bullet points on a marketing sheet. They've also had an outstanding record so far releasing significant revamps to the Beat Buddy based on user and their own needs. Like you said, Pigtronix not so much.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    mbenigni and Blue Bee like this.
  19. Go2ldook

Go2ldook Member

Have been tempted to make the plunge, but at the moment my Infinity Looper is offering stable-ish function for performing, as long as I erase loops before changing Presets. I have included an erase command into every song on my setlist in the Bandhelper app so that the first thing the looper gets is that erase command before switching songs. With that annoying but manageable caveat, I am controlling ALL Looper functions with a background MIDI file which has made looping a fool-proof endeavor. No more aggravating loops that are a little off, requiring some adjusting by the drummer (or worse: me having to retrigger the loop through-out the song to keep up with the tempo when I play to backing drum tracks).

I would like to see their manual and get some user feedback first. Already have $800 of like new Boomerang and Sidecar sitting in a box unused. I want to make sure my next purchase is the perfect solution for me!

20. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I noticed tonight that the product page at Singular Sound has added a bunch of new FAQ answers. Still no manual.

Chimuelo and donfrantz like this.