Singular Sound Aeros Loop Studio

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Digital Igloo, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Chimuelo

Chimuelo Member

I want to see the MIDI Implementation.
    Strymon has excellent automation so Im spoiled.
    I’m a synth player and want loops recalled vis PrgmChng or Note On or a MIDI CC#.
    And be able to adjust with tap tempo in case the bands tempo has changed.
    My Master MIDI Controller can send SysEx strings, just about any kind of control so complicated devices are no problem.
    Once automated you can concentrate on music instead of button pushing, etc.

Still eye balling the EHX 95000.
    It’s got 2 of my priority needs covered.
    Just shopping around because I heard the audio is colored.
    But I also heard the markets were going to crash.
    Hands on is the only satisfaction...

2. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I have the EHX 45000 which is almost identical to the implementation of the 95000. Frankly, I'd wait for the Aeros. It is a company heavily invested in MIDI, even making their own MIDI controller. The EHX implementation is okay though.

I wouldn't expect anything out there to change tempo and maintain pitch though ... I KNOW the EHX won't do that and the Aeros FAQ says it is something they will work on in the future. Even if it does work to a high degree, tap tempo doesn't cause a loop to catch up or slow down to match the first down beat the band is on. You might find the right tempo, but the loop is still a 8th note behind. Think over-steering in a car. You'll be chasing it. For that type of thing, you want a feature I call "stutter". The ability to press the play button again at anytime and have the loop start over so you can time it just when the band starts a new measure.

Chimuelo likes this.
  3. spiral

spiral Member

Singular Sound continues to update the FAQ's on the bottom of the product page.

re: Free Sync mode, I happened to find this buried in an unrelated FAQ answer:
    So that's good news. Anyone hear anything about the shipment on the way to the US?

mbenigni likes this.
  4. Chimuelo

Chimuelo Member

How correct you are. Here I am thinking I’m on a Delay unit.
    Duh...

Well I can wait for the Aero. 95000 is overkill for what I want to use it for.
    In the meantime I’m triggering Seagulls, and many SFX using Bidule as my VST Host.
    I can use Note On so maybe have fun Looping and get some ideas about using reverse.

Cheerz

RockDebris likes this.
  5. Quad4

Quad4 Member

From the FAQ:
    Could Bluetooth be used for phones?
    There is Bluetooth, but we have not built that feature yet however it is a good idea and we are looking into it and building it.​

This is a big :facepalm. Bluetooth is really laggy for live use and is full of vaporware for low latency. Is Singular planning on making their own proprietary BT headsets?

Also note that the FAQ has many features "in our development timeline" which means they might be included in a future update sometime. I do appreciate the openness.

6. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Latest email update:

Just wanted to give a quick update on the status of Batch 1 loopers.

We just got them into our office today! :)

From here, we will be doing final QC checks, then shipping out each unit.

However, as you may have heard Hurricane Dorian is likely to make landfall at the beginning of next week as a Category 4 Hurricane.

Because of this, we don’t want to give a timeline for delivery just yet. Provided things are alright, I’ll send another update at the end of next week with a more concrete timeline for delivery.

Cheers,

Anthony

mbenigni likes this.
  7. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Thanks for keeping us in the loop (no pun intended!). I'm anxious to hear what you think of them once you have one in your hands.

mbenigni and Guitardave like this.
  8. Thovy64

Thovy64 Member

What about the manual. Someone got it?

9. Guitardave

Update...they are getting closer! Props for proactive communications...

Thanks for being patient and understanding regarding our last update and the delay for the hurricane. Luckily, it ended up shifting course and was far enough off shore that we didn’t get anything more than a bit of rain and wind.

We were able to start QC checks yesterday and unfortunately we noticed an issue with the auto-update. The good news is that we already have the solution. We need to uninstall and reinstall the operating system on all of batch 1. (With normal firmware updates this won’t be necessary, so you won’t need to disassemble the unit, just connect it to wifi.)

The process involves partial disassembly and reassembly, so we won’t be able to complete it today, but we’re putting all hands on deck for the task and should be able to start shipping loopers out next week!

With that in mind, this will be my last update email (unless something changes), and the next email you receive should be notification that your Aeros has shipped along with tracking information.

Cheers,

Anthony Sostre

Marketing Director, Singular Sound

P.S. given that I’ll be one of the people working on reinstalling the firmware onto the loopers, I may be slow to respond. If you have a pressing concern please email support@singularsound.com for the fastest response times.

P.P.S. while you’re waiting for the final update, check out our complete walkthrough of 2x2 and 6x6 so you can hit the ground running when you get your looper:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    mbenigni and RockDebris like this.
  10. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I’m looking forward to when my unit arrives. That video makes it seem easy to use. (At least the basics). I hope they continue to release other how-to videos.

It does seem worrisome that they needed to disassemble the unit to change the firmware for this update problem but claim that it won’t be necessary to do that in the future. I guess this is the risk of being the first buyers of a new product. Regardless - I’m sure they’ll stand behind the units if it does become necessary to return the Aeros to fix it.

The Aeros seems to be what I was hoping for as the next level up between a regular stomp box looper and a computer based looper.

mbenigni and Guitardave like this.
  11. Quad4

Quad4 Member

And the price is not far off from a laptop!

Hoping that this device is expandable via online purchase similar to the Eventide H9.

You have a fairly powerful device, why not have upsells to add a beat buddy or other plugins? I have a few other ideas. Probably more profitable to sell a plugin for the Aeros "platform" than to sell a the more expensive beat buddy pedal to the Aeros user. And it's an easier sell to the Aeros owner, no shipping, no inventory.

An integrated beatbuddy could work better than two stompboxes tied by midi. Obviously some work and trade-offs.

I assume all that hardware in the box is not maxed out. Heck, you have WiFi, USB, Bluetooth which opens a lot of doors.

At this point SS is trying to ship a solid 1.0 product and quickly add items on their roadmap. After that, this would be a great platform strategy.

Aeros may want/need this to maintain a lead over Boss....

12. Mark_48

Mark_48 Member

Has anyone heard if there will be any PC/Mac software to edit or create loops (assuming they can be exported/imported) or if the saved loops/tracks can be imported to a DAW for editing?

13. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I never owned a beat buddy, but I looked through the history of it some in their videos before committing to the Aeros and it does seem as though they are a company that will stand behind what they make. I know when they were still publishing numbers for the presale of the Aeros, it had already reached several hundred. It looks like this is going to be a product they are going to want to stand behind.

I just happened to notice when the latest video was released that before it even had 100 views it had gotten 2 dislikes. I can see no other explanation for that but shills paying really close attention. That bodes quite well! ;)

14. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

This is all we've seen so far on that topic, so the answer to the second part of your question is clearly yes.

15. Quad4

Quad4 Member

Meh. Hopefully they will do more than just "insert sdcard into computer" to transfer loops.

Suspect they will use WiFi to a web UI for Mac, PC, phone, etc. Much easier to develop and users to access than an app for USB access. Bluetooth suggests a mobile app, but that takes effort that's diluted across iOS/Android.

16. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Interesting. Toss up for me now between this and the EHX 95000.

17. Lord Radish

Lord Radish Supporting Member

I just ordered mine, today, and it said 'in stock', but I'm not sure if that's batch 2 or batch 1, which they said was sold out.

18. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Their web site is quite poorly maintained. As I understand it, they are currently out of stock.

19. Lord Radish

Lord Radish Supporting Member

From what I could gather, the first shipment got delayed because of a firmware problem, supposedly, the 2nd run will be ready by the holidays. I'm fine with that, as more bugs will be worked out, by then, and maybe there'll be a firmware update, as well. I'm glad I got this before the price increase.

20. Guitardave

I haven't seen any ship notice on mine yet. Not sure which batch I'm part of though.