Singular Sound Aeros Loop Studio

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Digital Igloo, Jun 27, 2019.

1. salsaguy

salsaguy Member

yeah I was eyeing the Ditto X4 as well but heard it was a lot of work to make it sync to the Beat Buddy if ever it could. I had the Boss RC-30 but sent it back after I found out it didnt sycn with my BB. I need something in that price range $150-200 and form factor of 2-4 buttons but not professional grade and not as many options as the Aeros but still perfect sync w. BB

Guitardave likes this.
  2. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  3. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I can barely operate my Boss RC-3, so I have no business even getting near one of these. But I have to admit, that screen is pretty sexy.

salsaguy likes this.
  4. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

5. Guitardave

mbenigni, salsaguy and MojoRisin like this.
  6. Quad4

Quad4 Member

Thanks for posting the link. The documentation mostly covers what has been shown in videos. It's short and concise.

There are some minor new details in the docs (but I may simply have missed/forgotten them in the videos):
    • To stop immediately (versus at the end of the measure), double tap the stop button. Holding stop clears the song.
    • No way to to control input levels on the device. I hope they (eventually) provide a way to control this via some configuration setting in software. I assume the ADC would support this.

No mentions of MIDI, aux in/out, settings, tempo, etc.

Would be great if:
    • The display indicated the hold/double tap actions (even just a 3 letter acronym would be helpful).
    • Provide a headphone out. This would a redesign in a future v2 device.....

Looking forward to initial feedback on the device features, quality of the tone versus other loopers, etc....

salsaguy likes this.
  7. Guitardave

Ask and ye shall receive...

FWIW - the camera seems to make it worse than it seems to the naked eye.

Outside in direct sunlight hitting the face of it. Fairly invisible like a cell phone screens
    Inside - easy to read even with some reflective light from the window.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RockDebris and MojoRisin like this.
  8. Thovy64

Thovy64 Member

Nothing about midi capabilities:(....

RockDebris likes this.
  9. Quad4

Quad4 Member

Ideally the extra buttons and better, touch sensitive display makes it easier to operate ... assuming you don't try to do the more complicated stuff.

salsaguy and MojoRisin like this.
  10. xcc

xcc Member

I’m interested in this thing, but it’s odd that there’s no manual and that no one from this company has come by to say hello.

salsaguy likes this.
  11. Mark_48

Mark_48 Member

Thanks Dave, That's kinda what I was afraid it may be like. Narrows down what I was looking at a bit.

While the Aeros likely isn't one I'm going with now, is there any evidence of it having a click/rhythm track and if so, can it be routed somehow separate from the main outs (stereo out?). Glanced through the quick manual and didn't see mention of it or missed it. Maybe the intention is to use the BB, rather than have an onboard click(?)

salsaguy likes this.
  12. spiral

spiral Member

I only had 30mins x 2 to play around so grain of salt and all that. TL;DR: it seems very powerful and not fully baked.

Pros:
    • Really nice hardware. The buttons feel great, the enclosure is high quality and all the connectors are top-notch.
    • Sound is pristine. What goes in comes out.
    • Looping basics are very straightforward in standard measure / BPM mode
    • I like the visual on the screen more than I expected though I’m concerned with the eyes overpowering the ears
    • UI is pretty understandable. I was able to figure out where to go quickly

Cons:
    • No manual. There is a note included in the box saying the list of features that will be coming “very soon” but no real way to tell what the pedal can currently do or what is 100% working.
    • The freeform looping seems to just flat out not work despite being only 1 of 2 loop types that are offered on a song. I’m either very dumb (totally possible) or it doesn’t work despite them confirming it would ship with freeform mode. Seems very buggy. Looking at the paper note included in the box "Free form mode (quantize off)" is #8 on the list. My conversation with Singular Sound led me to believe it would ship with freeform sync included.
    • Occasional zero point crossing click.
    • Touchscreen has touch lag. Very common on guitar products. It’s tolerable.
    • On-screen buttons hard to press. For how much reliance there is on the touchscreen the buttons have very small hit targets. I am hitting buttons repeatedly—it makes it feel unresponsive but I just think the buttons targets are too small. This is #1 on the paper list of features to improve.

Random:
    • Pedal is labelled as needing 500mA, and PSU is 500mA, but website says 350mA. Tried it with T-Rex Goliath @ 450mA and it worked so far.

Current conclusion:
    This is clearly aimed at the Beatbuddy folks (yeah, duh) and prewritten set players so those are the features that are most mature. It’s a shame as it wouldn’t have taken much to bring looping guitarists into the tent. Most other looper pedals feel very immediate, exploratory, and fun where it’s easy to just dive into looping but the Aeros really wants you to play to the pedal’s BPM and grid—if you are playing to a click or drumbeat I could see how this would feel awesome.

For me, freeform sync (ie. create a master loop, all subsequent loops sync to the master) is what I use 95% of the time and am excited to see the addition of that. I'll wait the 60 days to see what they add, but I wouldn't keep it as it currently stands.

pic of Aeros vs. Boomerang for size comparison and note in box.

mbenigni, RockDebris and salsaguy like this.
  13. salsaguy

salsaguy Member

Especially since this is designed to sync with the BeatBuddy and many wanted it for that, Im surprised they didnt specifically mention this in the Quick Start guide! So many were pissed they couldnt get other 3rd party loopers to sync perfectly w/ the BB so this is a BIG selling point for them and they didnt mention that?!

14. salsaguy

salsaguy Member

Here is what the FAQ page on their site said about Headphones:

"Is there a jack out for headphones?

We do not have a headphones jack out, but you could use the aux out jack as a headphone jack. However you may need powered headphones in order to get the signal level as high as you would like."

https://singularsound.com/product/aeros-loop-studio/

15. salsaguy

salsaguy Member

there are a few things about MIDI mentioned on the FAQ section of the page but not much (scroll down to bottom of page):
    https://singularsound.com/product/aeros-loop-studio/

Im sure they will need to exapnd greatly on ALL the Midi connections and capability when they release the full manual sometime down the road, which is counter intuitive. If you cant use it when you get it or its complicated, users will send it back or get frustrated or call into the help line (email/phone) more often meaning more $$ for support resources, instead of spending time getting a real full manual at launch!

16. Guitardave

Houston we have a problem.

I can select Freefrom in the looping by going to Edit Song and there is the option for Freeform. I've tested it now in 2x2, 6x6, rebooted it, etc.

It records fine in Quantize but simply won't record anything in Freeform.

I emailed support@singularsound.com already.

I'm patient about issues with gear at launch but this one is so integral and basic to the function of the product it needs to be an immediate fix.

FYI - here's their info from the support page on their response windows.

Contact Support by Email

Write to support@singularsound.com
    Our team will get back to you within 2 business days.

Contact Support by Phone
    +1 305-809-6698

P.S. If we didn’t pick up, leave us a voicemail and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours (on business days).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    mbenigni likes this.
  17. donfrantz

donfrantz Yo! You stealin’ all the cool. Silver Supporting Member

Guitardave likes this.
  18. donfrantz

donfrantz Yo! You stealin’ all the cool. Silver Supporting Member

Free Form looping not working for me either--I also thought maybe I was dumb as a rock (star). Feel pretty much exactly like you--great sound but not quite fully functional. I'm hoping that it all comes together as I really like the concept of looper with DAW capabilities and lots of memory.

Guitardave likes this.
  19. spiral

spiral Member

@Guitardave
    My post above may be of interest.

I believe that is what the included "future features" paper in the box means: it's coming. That contradicts what support said a few weeks ago but I suspected as much when I didn't get a direct answer initially.

salsaguy and Guitardave like this.
  20. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Glad you guys are on the cutting edge and helping them smooth over the rough spots. It does look as though they had no choice but to get the first batch out before being entirely ready. I have a feeling the second batch I'm in is going to take quite a lot longer than they had originally forecast.

salsaguy likes this.