SIT Strings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ahltarocka, Jan 27, 2012.

1. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

Been having a bit of a problem with my strings going out of tune. Brought my axe to the Tech and nothing is wrong with the guitar itself. Because I have a tendancy of playing hard, he suggested that I try SIT Power Wound. I currenly use either Ernie Ball Slinky or DR 9.5. In addition, he suggested that I go back to 10's. Opinions on SIT. Thanks All!!!
    :rockin

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Never heard of sit, I would wonder how you are stringing the guitar - there are a few tricks to keep the string from sliding. I prefer not really 'tying' it off, but I usually try to have a pass or two of string going around the tuner above and bellow where the string comes through it, so it kinda pinches it off, if you will. I also bend the string before tuning it and turn the tuner/machine with my right hand and hold the string tight with my left hand around where the pickups are, so there is no slack to get 'worked out' when you start playing. That being said, my main guitar takes double ball strings, so I don't have to do any of that.

3. edi_87

edi_87 Member

^^^ this solves 80% of tuning problems.

As for the SITs, I had a couple of sets, they are decent strings, stay in tune pretty well, but nothing extraordinary IMO.

Cheers,
    M

4. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

Wouldn't work, I have locking tuners. SIT stands for Stay In Tune.
    http://sitstrings.com/strings/electric

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Hmm, interesting. I assumed thats what SIT meant. What guitar are you using? I guess you have something like a Floyd Rose? Have you considered a locking nut? Also - this is probably dumb/obvious, but the bridge isn't slowly starting to rise up over time?

6. bwires

bwires Member

I used SIT's exclusively while in college (almost 20 yrs ago now - umph). They were fairly inexpensive as i bought them by the gross. Came shipped in a tube with dessicate's. The strings would stay in tune (as they say) and lasted a good long time. Especially after playing multiple beer-flying parties back in the day.

Bottom line - not sure about your tuning issues but I did like SIT's.