SJT 10/20 Update

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sam Evans, May 11, 2005.

1. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

It's been nearly 8 months and my 10/20 still sounds amazing. I finally figured out what it is I love about it. It's its unabashed focus on the plucked string's fundamental. It just cuts through like no other amp I've owned or played. I can't pick a fave channel, because I can't find anything I don't like about the clean and OD tones. The slight upper-mid focus is really appealing to me, especially in OD. I love it. I was digin' the /13 1X12 cab mucho, but I'm back on the gbacked 4x12 cab bandwagon. Too cool for heavier tones. I still back way off the bass at high volumes, but there's plenty on hand even with the bass off. Seems I do this with all my amps. I'm still using the Novax/ Tele mostly, but my McCarty is equally as righteous. In fact, for heavier tones the McC is down right evil. As evil as the Bloodhound. 10 watts my ass. This thing is freakiin' loud.

No hiccups or funny business from the amp. I admit I haven't gigged with it yet, but that'll change around the first of the new year. Generally, the amp feels overbuilt and solid.

As to the amp "breaking in" over time, I have no response to that, other than the amp sounds sweeter and sweeter (or more and more evil depending on my mood) as I play it more. Who knows what it's from. All I know is that amp does sound different than the day I got it. Tubes seem an obvious cause due them wearing out over time.

Niggles? A few. The amp is a little noisy, but not too bad. The spot welded chassis seems like a short cut, but I admit I know little about the strength of a weld. The pots could be smoother. It would inspire a higher quality feel (Fred may use them for sonic reasons).

I've tried quite a few amps since I bought the /13, and nothing has kicked its ass. I may just have to call it quits and be happy with what I have! :eek: OK, I admit I want one of Fred's 5 watters, if it ever happens, but that's it!

Sam

2. Timmo

Timmo Member

I've had my 10/20 well over a year and a half and yes, still sounds amazing. Actually, it sounds 'better than new'.
    Your description is right on the mark Sam as well as the 'few niggles'.
    I am still so surprised by the way the 10/20 "cuts through the mix" be it live or in the studio. I know some don't seem to understand this but it is true.
    I also had the 9/15 side by side with it and the 10/20 sounds so much bigger and open sounding that I sold the 9/15 and have never looked back.
    The 10/20 simply has no peer. :RoCkIn

3. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Great report Sam.

I've never tried a 10/20, but if it is anything like a FTR37 at half power, it's gotta kick butt.

Yea, you'll love it live. I was in a band jam a couple weeks back set up next to my buddies 100w Marshall, and I was walking all over him. He was going crazy getting lost in the mix. He wanted to keep turning up but the rest of the guys got on his case. With both of us at equal volumes, he just couldn't get his leads to cut like the 13. Fred's amps are very attuned to the live/mix factor.

They definitely get better with age too. There are some heavy components in there, and they can be a little slow to break in as well as warm up… mine sounds better after running hard for an hour even.

Speakers and cab have also meant allot with my 37, it took me a little to find what worked. The amp can be very neutral and reflects what is put into it well. Everything is very noticeable, from cables, to pickups, to pedals, to my playing… I hated the G12H reissue in the 13 open back cab. Now I’m running a Scumback Bass Cone 30/Celestion Blue (well broken in) and it sounds great. Mine is very quite too. No hisses or hums.

Peace.

4. Sam Evans

I also want to thank wichita for letting me play through his FTR 37 and ERT 33 last year. Hearing those amps prompted me to call Fred. Glad I did, because this is the closest I've come to getting "my sound." I can't wait to send it to tape.

Sam

5. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Had my SJT 10/20 for some time now also and it continues to flat out amaze me every time I play it. It's just ridiculous how huge the tone is from that little amp!

6. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

i feel the same way with my 9/15...SUPER AMP And special thanks to all u guys for helping me...:D now i need a 10/20 to go with my 9/15 and that will be it for me!!!:D

7. redplexi

redplexi Member

Whats the MSRP on the 10/20

8. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

There is no MSRP on D13's because there is only one place to get them... directly from the builder. They cost what they go for.

You'll need to call Fred at D13.

Contact info is on their website.

Divided by 13

9. redplexi

redplexi Member

Got a 10/20
    If so What did you Pay.

10. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I have a 37.

You should figure a 10/20 being near the 2K range + cab.

Call Fred, he is cool and will tell you what you need to know.

11. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

i would like to here a 10/20. i've owned a 9/15 for about six months now & it continues to amaze me. fred really makes a very special amp.

12. Sam Evans

I paid $2000 plus shipping for my 10/20 head. That was in June of last year.

13. v-verb

v-verb Member

Sam is an obsessive tone freak - if he says the 10/20 is the **** - well, it is!:dude

14. Sam Evans

You got the "freak" part right.

15. redplexi

redplexi Member

Sam, Thanks. I'm in the Market for a 10/20. If anyone wants to sell theres./ 10/20 Cash Buyer Here.

16. Sam Evans

Have you played one, redplexi?

17. redplexi

redplexi Member

I have not. I have a few Old Blackface amps with 6v6's, and love that power section. I've heard audio Clips and read the reviews. They sound great.
    Are you happy with yours?

18. Sam Evans

Still diggin' mine.

19. redplexi

redplexi Member

What style of music do you play. And do you go into the front of your Hot, or just let the amp do the work.

20. Sam Evans

My amp does all the work. I hate OD pedals. I've yet to hear one that didn't sound like the pile of sand it is.

Style of music? All of them. Black Flag meets Captain Beefheart maybe?