Skatterbrane Pups: Worth the cash?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by omfg51, Aug 6, 2012.

1. corvus

corvus Member

as others have said caveat emptor

2. iowa

iowa Supporting Member

I had a set of yin branes in a guitar I sold. The guitar didn't do it for me, but I seriously considered keeping the pickups. They were very clear, almost single coil clarity, but with humbucker fullness. I'm not sure what I just typed makes much sense, but I really did like them.

3. kwd1987

kwd1987 Member

4. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

I'm a BIG fan of Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups. Try the Greenie set. With the added bonus that they're NOT going out of business!

5. Sol

Sol Member

I must have been one of the first to get a Skatterbrane set to the UK. At that time there was just the Yinbranes and another set which I forget now.
    I got the Yinbranes which has Alnico two magnets, and they've been great in my 2004 R7. In my guitar they actually warmed the tone as compared to the Burstbucker 1&2 that came with it, they record really really well and continued to use them through all the hoopla on the web.

I'm one of the oldest members of The Les Paul Forum, and still love it, and missed the controversy, due to not hanging out there during that period.
    I was really shocked at the attitude surrounding Rod but stayed well away, as I didn't understand the issue some clearly had with him.

All I can say is that his construction of my covered double white set ( un potted ) is as high as my Bare Knuckle Mule set, and they compare with my S. Duncan's and other Gibson humbuckers very well.

I do think he was experimenting with his winds in those early months somewhat, and mine have a slightly smoother tone with a nice edge at the front of the note, that may indicate the coils having a more modest mismatch than others, it could also have something to do with his method of charging the magnets, hard to know really.
    Certainly I can say that they have air and detail throughout their range ,and the 'double tone' I need to hear from any PAF style humbucker is there.

If I could change anything about the set I'd have the 7.4 k Ohm neck increased to around 7.7 K Ohm , which would give me more definition with in the middle position. The bridge is perfect for me with an output that depending on temperature hovers between 8.2 and 8.3 K Ohm s.

I have a mid 60's Gibson pat# humbucker that reads 7.7 k ohms plus a set of S.Duncan Antiquity's, the neck reads out at 7.7 K ohms, so I'm really lucky to have two pickups to try as replacement's for the neck Skatterbrane.

I'd value opinions on the following: For consistency I'm planning on using the alnico 2 from the Skatterbrane neck in both the Duncan Antiquity and the Gibson Pat#, just to reduce the variables a bit.

I've heard that Pat# Gibson's sound great with Alnico 4, and have a couple of bars but haven't used them in anything, but could fit one to the bridge Skatterbrane and try the other in the Gibson and SD Antiquity, and just pick whichever sounds best, sorry for the long post, feel free to comment..

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  6. Sol

Sol Member

We make a very small number of entirely hand made guitars, and its this that has given me the opportunity to hear many pickups by large and small pickup makers.
    Whenever I come across a pickup winder Ive not heared of before I always say 'hello', ask a few questions, and if I like what I hear I'll order a set to try.

The first was 3or4 yrs ago from a guy selling on eBay called 'Klea3031' . I ordered a Strat set, Alnico 2, Formvar 42. What impressed me the most was the.custom magnet stagger which he nailed and the extra work that involved.
    All new pickups go in one one of our guitars we've been using for yrs , whereas humbuckers go in Gibson Les Paul's I was gigging long before I built my first electric (a Tele obviously).

The 'Klea' Strat set was a gamble but oh did it pay off. Perfect for the guitar epic!

The Skatterbranes were a bigger gamble given the price but once in my R7 weren't leaving,(a first for me) so another set was ordered for our custom build, and I'm really saddened that they are no more.

All I can say is a big 'Thankyou Rod' for the tone the time and the magic that Skatterbrane was.

7. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

My impression is/was that Rod really knows his shi*.... he'd been very helpful on the MLP with answering questions about anything Les Paul, I never really understood why he was banned and what all this controversy around him was.... still, when replacing humbuckers, I normally go the Duncan way. Cheap and very good sounding. My latest experience was with the Slash pups, cost peanuts and sound awesome. Not really your typical PAF pickup, but in the right guitar, sound to die for.

8. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

I like mine, found the guy to be pleasant to deal with... Just search for his name in google if you want to know what the deal is. Anyway there are tons and tons of great sounding humbucker pickups out there.

9. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

The reason why he was banned from MLP was because of the accident he was involved in with bicyclist back Feb 2013.

10. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Really? That's weird, didn't know they did backround checks.

11. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Member

No, but they do have a squad of volunteer vigilantes.
    The best part about making pickups was all the wonderful people with whom I got to know. I have met many compassionate, trustworthy and lovely people all over the world through my business. I hear from old customers going all the way back to my first year making pickups from time to time. And many have taken the time to wish me well lately.

I am very thankful and I have been very lucky.

12. FennRx

FennRx Member

He was banned because he took a plain top G0 and paid RS guitar works to refinish it and place a new serial number on it. That serial number corresponded to a braz 2003 r8....he then sold it to a LPF member as a braz.

But it quickly unraveled when the victim posted his new guitar day thread as the real braz r8 with that serial number was owned by another LPF member.

Rod also got banned for threatening to beat a female MLP member with a baseball bat. His views in general about women are....problematic.

And don't forget his road rage conviction.

I wouldn't give the guy a dime.

colchar likes this.
  13. FennRx

FennRx Member

Oh you're not banned here yet?

Vigilantes? Please. Your actions speak for themselves.

colchar likes this.
  14. corvus

corvus Member

you have issue with that but not running over a bunch of people in your car,, You are a special kind of person

15. bismark

bismark Member

Just shockingly....wow! :omg

16. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Member

I think you may be overlooking the reference to "background checks", of which I was referring. And these last few posts tend to prove my point about vigilantes---the internet sentries. I will be so happy when May 2016 comes, when my doors close (or sooner).

17. corvus

corvus Member

Why wait

FiestaRed, colchar and FennRx like this.
  18. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Misrepresenting gear on a gear forum is one thing, but I'd like too think I cold do something like mow down a few cyclists and still post on a Les Paul forum. ;)

19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Member

Well, have you considered that maybe the "story" being spread is not entirely accurate? It does not matter. MLP has a thread that references this one. Which is just further evidence that "vigilantes" are at work. There are members who seem to make it their hobby to fain outrage whenever they can. It is okay. Regardless, I have met many good people and made many good friends. That surely outweighs all this crap. People are going to believe whatever fits best into their already formed opinions. It is human nature.

20. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Sure^^^That's why I found it odd that you would be banned for something like that.