• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

SKB 3i Series Flight Cases

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
I'm really surprised these don't get more action around here. They appear to be fairly new, but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Awhile back I picked up one of the new skb 3i series cases for strat/tele shaped electrics. Really cool case. Lightweight, wheels, waterproof, flight ready, and rugged. Also helped that I picked it up for a steal on craigslist.

I've been so impressed with it that when I was recently in the market for an acoustic flight case for my beloved dreadnought, I gave the 3i cases another look. Just took delivery of their acoustic dreadnought case. I think I like it even better than the electric one. :dude

As an added bonus, they actually stack and nest into one another so that you can wheel both of them at the same time without strapping them down.

Anybody else a fan? Am I missing some major flaw in these? I haven't flown with it yet, but will be doing so soon, so any input or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pics of the ones I'm talking about.

I still use my mono vertigo for quick around town things, but for anything that's more than a super easy load-in and any needed flights, these are my new go-to.

Kyle Ashley

I've been wanting to get one for my Strat. I wish they would do custom interiors. I'd like the Harvest Green as shown in that acoustic pic only in the electric cases instead of the red velvet, but they don't offer that.

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
I've been wanting to get one for my Strat. I wish they would do custom interiors. I'd like the Harvest Green as shown in that acoustic pic only in the electric cases instead of the red velvet, but they don't offer that.
I think that's why the guy I bought my electric one from on craigslist was getting rid of it... said he didn't like the interior color.

If I remember correctly, I think at NAMM they were saying that all of the lines would be coming out with a platinum (silver) option of interior.

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
Any more input on these? I'd love to know if there are any here with experience flying with these before I schlep around South America with it.

PCho222

I have one that I use for my primary guitar. I have shipped the guitar to several places and never had a problem. I haven't flown with it, however, the case does come with TSA recognized locks that they can use their keys on to inspect and lock it back up after. I haven't done that yet, but from what I hear it works. The case is great quality, really sturdy (and heavy) and I would trust it going through just about anything.

Stratobuc

Those plastic TSA latches aren't very durable. I had one break on me shortly after purchasing.

Are these similar to how pelican cases are made? obviously they have a plush interior as opposed to foam. They look really cool.

aaron1433

These are totally great. I don't miss my Calton. I too have one for electric and one for my dreadnaught. I love the wheels, handles, storage spaces, latches, and their durability. They also stack/pack/load really well. Highly recommended.

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member
Those plastic TSA latches aren't very durable. I had one break on me shortly after purchasing.
Bummer. They sure seem robust and secure outwardly. I've two earlier incarnations of the 2012/2013 American Standard cases and thinking about getting a third. This is the first I've heard of trouble with the TSA latches. Any others reading this thread who have had these latches go bad?

I love the new flight cases but I like to leave my strap attached to the guitar in the case, and that case has zero storage. I realize this is pretty standard with flight cases.

Hargrett

I recently ordered one of the SKB 3i421456 waterproof Les Paul flight cases you're discussing, to see if my Dean Leslie West Signature guitar would fit. It did, nice and snug. So does my R7 goldtop wraptail. I had to order the case to be able to check it out, since I couldn't find a store nearby that was stocking them.

As it turns out, so far this is my favorite guitar flight case ever.

To answer an earlier question, it seems very similar in construction to my Pelican 1700 case, which I've flown a lot over several years as a pedalboard case, and love. Mil spec and all.

A friend of mine has been flying his Pensa-Suhr guitar in a SKB 3i Series case for three years with no problems.
He told me about a bandmate of his who broke a latch on his 3i-series case, but SKB repaired it under the lifetime warranty.

Nice that the latches are covered, but to avoid the potential shipping to SKB and the waiting time I thought I'd go ahead and order an SKB 3i-TSA-3 "large latch kit" (which includes two locking latches) for just under $20 shipped. I can see how the plastic latches could be vulnerable when they're unlatched and sticking out. Broken latches are the only issue I've heard about with these cases.

To me, there's lots of storage room in this case. There isn't a separate lid on the storage compartment, but the case lid seals it up when the case is closed. I put a TurboTuner, spare guitar parts (plus the latches), tools, strap, cables, strings and all in there and still have room to pack a towel and a t-shirt, which help keep it all from rattling around.

My case came with the silver/platinum lining, which took a little getting used to at first, but I'm liking it now.

One other thing... from a video I saw on YouTube, I'm not sure a Robot LP will fit.

Rock!
Charlie

I recently ordered one of the SKB 3i421456 waterproof Les Paul flight cases you're discussing, to see if my Dean Leslie West Signature guitar would fit. It did, nice and snug. So does my R7 goldtop wraptail. I had to order the case to be able to check it out, since I couldn't find a store nearby that was stocking them.

As it turns out, so far this is my favorite guitar flight case ever.

To answer an earlier question, it seems very similar in construction to my Pelican 1700 case, which I've flown a lot over several years as a pedalboard case, and love. Mil spec and all.

A friend of mine has been flying his Pensa-Suhr guitar in a SKB 3i Series case for three years with no problems.
He told me about a bandmate of his who broke a latch on his 3i-series case, but SKB repaired it under the lifetime warranty.

Nice that the latches are covered, but to avoid the potential shipping to SKB and the waiting time I thought I'd go ahead and order an SKB 3i-TSA-3 "large latch kit" (which includes two locking latches) for just under $20 shipped. I can see how the plastic latches could be vulnerable when they're unlatched and sticking out. Broken latches are the only issue I've heard about with these cases.

To me, there's lots of storage room in this case. There isn't a separate lid on the storage compartment, but the case lid seals it up when the case is closed. I put a TurboTuner, spare guitar parts (plus the latches), tools, strap, cables, strings and all in there and still have room to pack a towel and a t-shirt, which help keep it all from rattling around.

My case came with the silver/platinum lining, which took a little getting used to at first, but I'm liking it now.

One other thing... from a video I saw on YouTube, I'm not sure a Robot LP will fit.

Rock!
Charlie
Thanks for the review..I may need to finally check one of these out. I'm guessing they're nice and light compared to an ATA.

aaron1433

I usually have mine closed, but my case has traveled quite a lot and the only issue it can't address is cold temperatures.

They're heavy and bulky for everyday use, and can't stow in all vehicles easily.

But for ease of mind and durability, and how easy they roll, they're awesome. I also store spare tubes and expensive mics as well as strings, iem's, and other accessories. You can set up shop with one of these! They're sweet in many settings.

madryan

These are basically Storm cases (I'm pretty sure Hardigg was bought by SKB) and if so they're bomb proof. I've been using them as well as Pelican for years.

I've loaded them up with guns, optics, gear, ordinance, you name it. I'm really glad that SKB decided to make guitar cases because they're super strong and quite light and totally waterproof.

I'm currently in the market for another Les Paul and will probably forgo the stock case in favor of one of these. Or at least I'll get one of these for any sort of deal where the guitar will be traveling. They're simply exceptionally cases.

I've got a Pelican 1720 sitting around that I'm going to use for a guitar case but I'll need to custom cut the foam. I've got a custom guitar I built that needs a case.

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
Great case...have flown a few times with an acoustic. Only concern is the technically it is bigger than airline checked bag dimensions and IF they check you could be dinged for quite a bit over normal bag fee. (Acoustic case) No problems so far, but always leaves me sweating it out a bit. I actually did not use this case on an international flight as I heard those flights were much more letter of the law...did not want to show up and have to fork over another couple hundred bucks at last minute...anyone else had any flight experiences with these cases?

djy8131

I have 2 of them. One for my strats/Tele and one for my Les Pauls. I had to crush the foam underneath where the headstock goes on the Les Paul case or the tuners touch the bottom of the case which could obviously cause major problems if the case was dropped. They may have fixed this in newer releases of the case. You can see a short video I made here about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT8mMmlVapo

Dale

I have one for my LP style guitars and it fit Hamer Studio's well also. They are a great case that is about as protective as one can get without spening the cost of the guitar on the case.

OilsFan

There was a guy on here recently who had his acoustics entire upper bout below the neck joint crack in one of these cases. They must have flexed it pretty far. That's why I don't like these for guitar. For guns they are great but not guitars. Nothing short of a solid Anvil case will do.

Trending Topics