Skb or Tkl?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by exhaust_49, Jun 23, 2006.

1. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I'm trying to decide between a Tkl case or an Skb case for my LP. I like the Tkl case for the whole look but I like the Skb case for how light it is. What it comes down to is which case would protect my guitar better. I'm leaning towards the Tkl case but it's 9 lbs compared to the Skb case which is 6.5 lbs. What concerns me about the Skb case is how much the curved top will push in (since it's made of a hard plastic). I would like anyone that has any experience with a Lp Skb case to to me what they think of them.

Thanks a lot.

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

I much prefer the mid to upper level TKL's myself

3. SFK

SFK Member

4. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

I was not impressed with the TKL case that I got with my ESP. Its solid case but the craftsmanship was sub-par.

5. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I was looking over both the Tkl and Skb cases and from the information on both web sites I think that the Skb Les Paul case is a safer bet. Can anyone make an argument against Skb cases?

6. Bluespicker

Bluespicker Member

SKB has a lifetime no questions asked warrenty, I don't beleive TKL does the same.

7. Koreldyre

Koreldyre Member

The TKL's look nicer, but from a longterm care perspective the SKB's are far better, mainly because they are airtight/moisturetight. I've done 10-year tests on both, and the difference is very small if you have a good climate controlled environment regulated to store guitars, but if not, the TKL's don't block the effects of moisture very well. The TKL-types also may crack and warp, the SKBs will not.

If I bought a Les Paul for $10,000 (or substitute whatever valuable collector item) and planned to store it without playing for several years, I would put the guitar into a SKB or similar case with airtight locking valences and keep the original Gibson plush case separately.

my two cents

8. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

Yah,
    I'm pretty much convinced. I think I'll get an Skb case for my Lp. I've got one for my strat and it seems to be tougher than my wooden acoustic case (Tkl like).

Not to mention it's also a compliment to my back.

9. Alvis

Alvis Member

Well,neither of them hold up to flying verey well.The aluminum bands get bent and the cases don't close properly after that.I actually find the brown factory cases much sturdier.I'd rather have an old Gibson Protector case than an SKB or TKL.I have 2 of them ,one SG & one LP.The SG case has metal latches on it.The Les Paul protector had plastic latches that turn white and break after time ,but I replaces them with brass hardware store latches,good to go.I'd even fly with it

10. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I wouldn't be flying with it. If I was I'd get a metal flight case. I would be using it just to store my guitar safely at home, when I go to a friends house to play, going to gigs ect.

I think it should hold up pretty well for what I intend to use it for.

11. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

+1 for the TKL. SKB cases DO crack....quite frequently, actually. They also have the valance issues mentioned previously in this thread. Good old wood, best bet for my money!

12. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

Have you experienced this yourself?

13. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I had an SKB LP case and it cracked quite badly on the bottom edge where one of the little chrome "feet" were. Once it cracked, the aluminum edge wouldn't meet correctly and it was a pain to close properly, and I couldn't really trust it to protect the guitar after that. I don't know about hermetically sealing the things because I don't "collect" guitars (in fact, my guitars are left lying around the house on stands or wall hooks unless they're packed up to go some where), but I do know that I've never broken a TKL case, though I've beat them up some; torn the vinyl, broken latches and handles, etc... I'd feel safer with a TKL case myself, the weight be damned...

14. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Yup.

Although it's for a bass, my SKB has the feet punched in, there's a crack in the side of the case, the cloth things that keep the case from opening too far have come off, and you have to move it around to get it to close properly.

The TKL cases I have for my LPs have all been tremendous. The only issue I can complain about is that the tolex is pulling away at a few points- otherwise they're much more solid than the SKB.

My SKB has seen a little more usage than my most used TKL, but it looks years and years older. It's broken and beat, and though I still trust it to protect my bass the TKL cases seem to have weathered normal wear and tear much better.

15. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

How did this happen to the SKB case. Was it subjected to abnormal abuse (dragged behind a chevy, put at the bottom of a pile of tube amps ect.).

I'm just trying to get an idea of what the case can take.

16. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

I like the SKB cases myself. For carrying, not storing. They're sturdy, light, cheap, and very compact. Although the TKLs do smell nice inside. And the alligator TKLs are very cool. :rolleyes:

I store my guitars in their original cases (often TKLs). I have one SKB Strat/Tele case, and one SKB Les Paul case. When I leave the house with a guitar, it goes into one of those two SKBs. I've accidentally dropped them a few times on concrete, once from the top edge of a pickup bed, and the case actually bounced! No harm to the guitars.

I've never had a crack in one, but I think it could certainly happen. Then I'd get another, 'cause they're cheap. Or, I'd epoxy it back, even cheaper.

My only knock against the SKB cases is that their storage compartment is so shallow, I usually can't even fit a large strap in there. But the other positives outweigh that for me.